Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Performance and Diagnostic Metrics (PDM) Destination Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 06:05:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6 Performance and Diagnostic Metrics (PDM) Destination Option'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-6man-pdm-option/

Technical Summary

To assess performance problems,  measurements based on optional
sequence numbers and timing may be enabled in packets of a
particular flow using a new Destination Options Header.  Such
measurements may be interpreted in real-time or after-the-fact. 
This document gives a specification of the existing IPv6 
Destination Option extension header, 
called the Performance and Diagnostic Metrics (PDM) Destination
Option. The document also provides the field limits, calculations,
and usage of the PDM in measurement.

Working Group Summary

After years of discussion, consideration, and revision, the working
group adopted the draft and then moved smoothly to consensus in
another year, aided by the implementation of the option in Free BSD.

Document Quality

As noted, this has been implemented in Free BSD.

I'd note that the document has significantly benefited from the secdir
review, performed by Tero Kivinen, and the Gen-ART review, performed 
by Jouni Korhonen. Thanks especially for that support.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Al Morton (was formerly Bill Cerveny). 
Spencer Dawkins is the responsible area director.