Subject: Protocol Action: 'Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Representing Nicknames' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:25:38 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings
   Representing Nicknames'
  (draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-7700bis/

Technical Summary

   This document describes methods for handling Unicode strings
   representing memorable, human-friendly names (called "nicknames",
   "display names", or "petnames") for people, devices, accounts,
   websites, and other entities.  This document obsoletes RFC 7700.

Working Group Summary

   This document is part of a set of revised RFCs (7564, 7613, 7700),
   based on implementation experience. 7564 is the base Precis protocol,
   7613 and 7700 are profiles for specific use (username/passwords and
   nicknames respectively).  This revised document, the Precis profile for
   nickname, essentially clarifies the original specification and make it
   synchronized with the revised base spec, specially regarding case mapping.

   Multiple versions of the revised spec was discussed over more than a year
   in the working group mailing list. As a clarification of the original profile
   specification, there was no real contention on the document. A discussion
   happened on a desirable property of being idempotent, but the discussion
   went that this is a desirable property, not an absolute requirement.

Document Quality

   This version is based on implementor's feedback on RFC 7700.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Marc Blanchet.
   The responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.