Subject: Protocol Action: 'PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-precis-7564bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 08:49:44 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of
   Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-precis-7564bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-7564bis/

Technical Summary

   Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
   need to properly handle such strings in order to enforce
   internationalization rules for strings placed in various protocol
   slots (such as addresses and identifiers) and to perform valid
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
   application protocols to perform the preparation, enforcement, and
   comparison of internationalized strings ("PRECIS") in a way that
   depends on the properties of Unicode code points and thus is more
   agile with respect to versions of Unicode.  As a result, this
   framework provides a more sustainable approach to the handling of
   internationalized strings than the previous framework, known as
   Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This document obsoletes RFC 7564.

Working Group Summary

   This document is part of a set of revised RFCs (7564, 7613, 7700),
   based on implementation experience. 7564 is the base Precis protocol,
   7613 and 7700 are profiles for specific use (username/passwords and
   nicknames respectively).  This revised document, the base Precis protocol,
   essentially clarifies the original specification, on topics such as case folding,
   normalization, code points, and rules. The only real modification of
   the specification is the change from Unicode toCaseFold() operation to
   toLowerCase().

   Multiple versions of the revised spec was discussed over more than a year
   in the working group mailing list. As a clarification of the base specification,
  there was no real contention on the document.

Document Quality

  The current version is based on implementor's feedback on RFC 7564.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Marc Blanchet.
   The responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.