Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-08.txt> (Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Registration Transition) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 15:09:46 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Uniform Resource Names, Revised WG
(urnbis) to consider the following document: - 'Uniform Resource Name (URN)
Namespace Registration Transition'
  <draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-07-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The original registration procedure for formal Uniform Resource Name
   (URN) namespaces required IETF Consensus.  That requirement
   discouraged some registrations and increased the risk for problems
   that could occur as a result.  The requirements have now been changed
   by RFC 8141, which adopts a different model, focusing on encouraging
   registration and publication of information for all appropriate
   namespaces.  This document clarifies the status of relevant older
   RFCs and confirms and documents advice to IANA about selected
   existing registrations.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.