Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-12.txt> (Stream Schedulers and User Message Interleaving for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 06:34:06 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Stream Schedulers and User
Message Interleaving for the Stream Control
   Transmission Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-08-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a message oriented
   transport protocol supporting arbitrarily large user messages.  This
   document adds a new chunk to SCTP for carrying payload data.  This
   allows a sender to interleave different user messages that would
   otherwise result in head of line blocking at the sender.  The
   interleaving of user messages is required for WebRTC Datachannels.

   Whenever an SCTP sender is allowed to send user data, it may choose
   from multiple outgoing SCTP streams.  Multiple ways for performing
   this selection, called stream schedulers, are defined.  A stream
   scheduler can choose to either implement, or not implement, user
   message interleaving.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.