Subject: Protocol Action: 'File System Extended Attributes in NFSv4' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:37:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'File System Extended Attributes in NFSv4'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an OPTIONAL feature extending the NFSv4
   protocol which allows extended attributes (hereinafter also referred
   to as xattrs) to be interrogated and manipulated using NFSv4 clients.
    Xattrs are provided by a file system to associate opaque metadata,
   not interpreted by the file system, with files and directories.  Such
   support is present in many modern local file systems.  New file
   attributes are provided to allow clients to query the server for
   xattr support, with that support consisting of new operations to get
   and set xattrs on file system objects.

Working Group Summary

   The working group has been supportive of this work with little to no
   contention over the approach and resultant content.

Document Quality

      The quality of this document is high and is ready to move forward.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Spencer Shepler
  Area Director: Spencer Dawkins