Subject: Protocol Action: 'A General Mechanism for RTP Header Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5285-bis-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 15:28:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A General Mechanism for RTP Header Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5285-bis-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5285-bis/

Technical Summary
   
   This document provides a general mechanism to use the header
   extension feature of RTP (the Real-Time Transport Protocol).  It
   provides the option to use a small number of small extensions in each
   RTP packet, where the universe of possible extensions is large and
   registration is de-centralized.  The actual extensions in use in a
   session are signaled in the setup information for that session.  The
   document obsoletes RFC5285

Working Group Summary

   This document has had no major discussions. There has been some
   discussion concerning RTP protocol level and the higher applications
   dependency on header extension elements and the possibility of 
   removing them. 

Document Quality

   This is an update of the previous document to address some
   issues learned in the usage and further specification of 
   RTP header extensions following RFC5285. The amount of review
   has been sufficient but not great.    

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Magnus Westerlund and the responsible AD 
   is Ben Campbell.