Subject: REMINDER: Request for volunteers or nominations to 2018 ICANN NomCom

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 12:47:04 -0700

The IAB (on behalf of the IETF) has been asked to supply a member to the 
2018 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom). Tim Wicinski has filled this 
role for the IETF community for the past two years and cannot seek 
another term due to term limits; the IAB thanks him for his service. The 
IAB would therefore like to ask the community for volunteers to serve on 
the ICANN NomCom. The IAB will appoint one person for a one-year term 
(renewable for one additional one-year term).

If you are interested in serving on the ICANN NomCom, please send a 
short e-mail to [email-masked] and [email-masked] with your motivation 
and information concerning your familiarity with the IETF and ICANN. 
Alternatively, if you know of someone who may be a good fit for this 
position, please send the name and email address by e-mail to iab-
[email-masked] and [email-masked]. The IAB is looking for a diverse pool 
of candidates. The deadline for nominations or volunteers is 15 August 
2017.

After asking for community input on the candidates, the IAB will select 
from the available candidates. The IAB shall take into account 
candidates' familiarity with ICANN and the IETF (including their roles 
and processes), though the selected candidate will serve on the ICANN 
NomCom on personal title.

The ICANN NomCom process itself is governed by the ICANN bylaws; the 
relevant articles can be found at <https://www.icann.org/resources/
pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article8>.

In addition, each NomCom determines a number of its own operational 
procedures, including the role of the NomCom in recruiting and selecting 
candidates for ICANN leadership positions. Based on the experience of 
previous volunteers, the time commitment is significant. The selected 
person should be prepared to participate in the recruitment of potential 
candidates for ICANN leadership positions (a few hours per month 
November through April); a few hours on conference calls each month (and 
even more near selection); ten or more hours per month reviewing and 
assessing candidate qualifications in April, May, and June; and multiple 
days of face-to-face meetings of the full NomCom at each of the three 
ICANN meetings.

The ICANN NomCom typically meets in person at or around three 
consecutive ICANN meetings in various locations throughout the world. It 
will select a final slate of candidates by June 2018 for the ICANN 
Board, the ALAC, the ccNSO Council, the GNSO Council, and the Public 
Technical Identifiers (PTI) Board of Directors, which manages the IANA 
functions used by the IETF.

NOTE: ICANN covers travel and hotel costs for a pre-determined number of 
days at each of the 3 consecutive ICANN meetings under prevailing ICANN 
policies. For more details, please see the IAB Statement on Liaison 
Compensation https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-
documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-liaison-compensation/.

Candidates should be able to join monthly teleconferences, with the 
expectation that these teleconferences will be held weekly during the 
candidate assessment process in May and June.

For more information about the ICANN NomCom see: 
https://nomcom.icann.org/

On behalf of the IAB,
Cindy Morgan
IAB Executive Administrative Manager