Subject: Protocol Action: 'Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Registration Transition' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 06:47:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Registration Transition'
  (draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition/

Technical Summary

   This document follows from RFC 8141, which changed the registration requirements
   for formal URN namespaces.  This document clarifies the status of relevant older
   RFCs and advises IANA about some specific existing registrations.

Working Group Summary

   This document was written in order to make the status of certain bits of the
   URNBIS working group's work clear, and to take it out of the path of the
   document that became RFC 8141.  Much of what's in here was discussed before
   this document existed, and there has been ample discussion of and agreement
   to the content of it.  This is really a non-controversial housekeeping document,
   which is set to Standards Track only so as to cleanly obsolete some existing
   Standards Track RFCs and to request their reclassification to Historic.

Document Quality

   The real meat of what this document accomplishes has been submitted to IANA
   separately, as updated registration templates for the ISSN and ISBN URN
   namespaces. This document is mostly clarifies status of existing RFCs.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba is the document shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

1) Please replace the last sentence at the end of the current Abstract:

   The original registration procedure for formal Uniform Resource Name
   (URN) namespaces required IETF Consensus.  That requirement
   discouraged some registrations and increased the risk for problems
   that could occur as a result.  The requirements have now been changed
   by RFC 8141, which adopts a different model, focusing on encouraging
   registration and publication of information for all appropriate
   namespaces. 

OLD:
   This document clarifies the status of relevant older
   RFCs and confirms and documents advice to IANA about selected
   existing registrations.

NEW:

   This document clarifies the status of relevant older
   RFCs and confirms and documents advice to IANA about selected
   existing registrations.  This document also makes the RFCs that
   describe the ISSN and ISBN namespaces obsolete and historic, as
   their descriptions now reside in registration templates.

2) RFC Editor should also consider whether including specific RFC
numbers for ISSN and ISBN in the above text is appropriate and
is consistent with the Style Guide.