Subject: RFC 8217 on Clarifications for When to Use the name-addr Production in SIP Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 16:23:34 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8217

        Title:      Clarifications for When to Use 
                    the name-addr Production in SIP Messages 
        Author:     R. Sparks
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12829
        Updates:    RFC 3261, RFC 3325, RFC 3515, RFC 3892, RFC 4508, 
                    RFC 5002, RFC 5318, RFC 5360, RFC 5502

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-name-addr-guidance-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8217

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8217

RFC 3261 constrained several SIP header fields whose grammar contains
the "name-addr / addr-spec" alternative to use name-addr when certain
characters appear.  Unfortunately, it expressed the constraints with
prose copied into each header field definition, and at least one
header field was missed.  Further, the constraint has not been copied
into documents defining extension headers whose grammar contains the
alternative.

This document updates RFC 3261 to state the constraint generically
and clarifies that the constraint applies to all SIP header fields
where there is a choice between using name-addr or addr-spec.  It
also updates the RFCs that define extension SIP header fields using
the alternative to clarify that the constraint applies (RFCs 3325,
3515, 3892, 4508, 5002, 5318, 5360, and 5502).

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC