Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-05.txt> (Generic Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 08:07:55 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Common Authentication Technology
Next Generation WG (kitten) to consider the following document: - 'Generic
Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update'
  <draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-09-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Generic Security Services Application Program Interface (GSS-API)
   offers application programmers uniform access to security services
   atop a variety of underlying cryptographic mechanisms.  This document
   updates the Java bindings for the GSS-API that are specified in
   "Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java Bindings Update" (RFC
   5653).  This document obsoletes RFC 5653 by adding a new output token
   field to the GSSException class so that when the initSecContext or
   acceptSecContext methods of the GSSContext class fails it has a
   chance to emit an error token which can be sent to the peer for
   debugging or informational purpose.  The stream-based GSSContext
   methods are also removed in this version.

   The GSS-API is described at a language-independent conceptual level
   in "Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2,
   Update 1" (RFC 2743).  The GSS-API allows a caller application to
   authenticate a principal identity, to delegate rights to a peer, and
   to apply security services such as confidentiality and integrity on a
   per-message basis.  Examples of security mechanisms defined for GSS-
   API are "The Simple Public-Key GSS-API Mechanism" (RFC 2025) and "The
   Kerberos Version 5 Generic Security Service Application Program
   Interface (GSS-API) Mechanism: Version 2" (RFC 4121).

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.