Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay-06.txt> (Micro-loop prevention by introducing a local convergence delay) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:44:32 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Area Working Group WG
(rtgwg) to consider the following document: - 'Micro-loop prevention by
introducing a local convergence delay'
  <draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-10-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a mechanism for link-state routing protocols
   to prevent local transient forwarding loops in case of link failure.
   This mechanism proposes a two-step convergence by introducing a delay
   between the convergence of the node adjacent to the topology change
   and the network wide convergence.

   As this mechanism delays the IGP convergence it may only be used for
   planned maintenance or when fast reroute protects the traffic between
   the link failure time and the IGP convergence.

   The proposed mechanism is limited to the link down event in order to
   keep the mechanism simple.

   Simulations using real network topologies have been performed and
   show that local loops are a significant portion (>50%) of the total
   forwarding loops.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2565/