Subject: RFC 8243 on Alternatives for Multilevel Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:02:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8243

        Title:      Alternatives for Multilevel Transparent Interconnection 
                    of Lots of Links (TRILL) 
        Author:     R. Perlman, 
                    D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    M. Zhang,
                    A. Ghanwani,
                    H. Zhai
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 66920
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-multilevel-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8243

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8243

Although TRILL is based on IS-IS, which supports multilevel unicast
routing, extending TRILL to multiple levels has challenges that are
not addressed by the already-existing capabilities of IS-IS.  One
issue is with the handling of multi-destination packet distribution
trees.  Other issues are with TRILL switch nicknames.  How are such
nicknames allocated across a multilevel TRILL network?  Do nicknames
need to be unique across an entire multilevel TRILL network?  Or can
they merely be unique within each multilevel area?

This informational document enumerates and examines alternatives
based on a number of factors including backward compatibility,
simplicity, and scalability; it makes recommendations in some cases.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC