Subject: WG Action: Formed Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise or Amend (extra)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:19:55 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chair.

Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise or Amend (extra)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/extra
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/extra/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/extra/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-extra/

The IETF maintains several key email related protocols that relate to
message delivery to mailstores and mailstore access.  These include
the following:

 IMAP (RFC3501)
 SIEVE (RFC5228)
 ManageSieve (RFC5804)

>From time to time, there are bursts of work to do and the motivation and
critical mass to do it.  When such bursts coincide, it's important to
give them a home.  This working group provides such a venue.

The WG will work on updates, extensions, and revisions to the above
email protocols. Upon formation, the working group will consider any
existing Internet Drafts that could be appropriate for its processing.
While an interest poll for a new related idea is fine, the WG should
avoid detailed discussion of work items lacking an Internet-Draft.

The working group will start with processing the backlog of IMAP/Sieve
extensions. Once this is done it will continue processing submitted
IMAP/Sieve extensions, as well as work on a revision of IMAP (RFC 3501).
Work on updating this RFC will include appropriate corrections,
clarifications, or amplifications to reflect existing practice or
to address problems that have been identified through experience with
IMAP as currently specified.  Also eligible for consideration is
the incorporation of accumulated errata or consolidation with newer documents
that have updated and/or extended the base specification. However,
any new functionality is expected to be pursued via
extensions rather than changes to the base protocol wherever possible.

If there is interest in revising SIEVE (RFC5228) and ManageSieve
(RFC5804), the WG will recharter.

Expressly excluded from this charter is work on any protocol for which a
dedicated working group already exists, such as DMARC, DCRUP or JMAP, as well
as any work on POP3, SMTP/LMTP and email format/MIME. However, each working
group should endeavor to remain aware of the activities of the other and
collaborate as needed.

Milestones:

  Sep 2017 - Submit "Sieve Email Filtering: Delivering to Special-Use
  Mailboxes" to IESG as a Proposed Standard

  Oct 2017 - Submit "IMAP4 Extension for Returning MYRIGHTS Information in
  Extended LIST" to IESG as a Proposed Standard

  Dec 2017 - Submit "64bit body part and message sizes in IMAP4" to IESG as a
  Proposed Standard