Subject: Protocol Action: 'Content-ID header field in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-content-id-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:07:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Content-ID header field in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-content-id-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-content-id/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the Content-ID header field for 
   usage in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) to identify 
   a complete message-body of a SIP message. The document also 
   updates RFC 5621, to enable a Content-ID URL to reference 
   a complete message-body and metadata provided by some  
   additional SIP header fields. 

Working Group Summary

   Discussions about the Content-ID header field started in the 
   ECRIT working group when the group identified cases where a 
   request with a single message body also needs to include a 
   Content-ID header field in the SIP message header to refer to 
   the MIME entity, but the Content-ID header field was not actually 
   a SIP header field, surprising some working group members. The 
   authors brought the issue to the SIPCORE working group. There 
   was consensus that this was an oversight in SIP. There was a 
   discussion about perhaps adding all the Content-* MIME header 
   fields as SIP header fields for completeness (SIP already has 
   extended the some of the MIME header fields), but the working 
   group decided to focus only on Content-ID since there wasn't a 
   clear need for some of the others like Content-Transfer-Encoding. 

Document Quality

   This short document received detailed review from a handful  
   of working group participants. The authors incorporated received
   feedback. 

   Although the Document Shepherd is not aware of implementations,
   the Content-ID header field will be useful when transporting
   data for location conveyance and emergency calls. There may be 
   implementations of Content-ID as a SIP header field since 
   RFC 5368 shows Content-ID as a SIP header field in its examples.

Personnel

  Jean Mahoney is the document shepherd. Ben Campbell is 
  the responsible area director.