Subject: Document Action: 'An Architecture for Use of PCE and PCEP in a Network with Central Control' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 11:12:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Architecture for Use of PCE and PCEP in a Network with Central
   Control'
  (draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control/

Technical Summary

The Path Computation Element (PCE) has become established as a core
component of Software Defined Networking (SDN) systems.  It can
compute optimal paths for traffic across a network for any definition
of "optimal" and can also monitor changes in resource availability
and traffic demands to update the paths.

Conventionally, the PCE has been used to derive paths for MPLS Label
Switched Paths (LSPs).  These paths are supplied using the Path
Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) to the head end of
the LSP for signaling in the MPLS network.

This document briefly introduces the architecture for PCE as a
central controller, examines the motivations and applicability for
PCEP as a southbound interface, and introduces the implications for
the protocol.  This document does not describe the use cases in
detail and does not define protocol extensions: that work is left for
other documents.

Working Group Summary

The progress of the document through the WG has been smooth.
There was some serious debate before the last call with regards
to implications on manageability and on PCEP. The authors addressed 
all of these concerns by adding relevant text to the document.
 
Document Quality

This document has been discussed and reviewed thoroughly by the WG.
The base PCE architecture and the PCEP protocol have been implemented.
The document that discusses the use-cases for PCE as a central controller 
is actively being worked on. While there have been no public statements 
on implementation of this new architecture, the authors are from multiple 
vendors, and implementation is expected.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Vishnu Pavan Beeram
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard

RFC Editor Note
text at the end of s2.1.2:
s/whole the controllers/while the controllers/