Subject: RFC 8222 on Selecting Labels for Use with Conventional DNS and Other Resolution Systems in DNS-Based Service Discovery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:35:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8222

        Title:      Selecting Labels for Use with 
                    Conventional DNS and Other Resolution Systems 
                    in DNS-Based Service Discovery 
        Author:     A. Sullivan
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 28735
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8222

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8222

Despite its name, DNS-Based Service Discovery (DNS-SD) can use naming
systems other than DNS when looking for services.  Moreover, when it
uses DNS, DNS-SD uses the full capability of DNS, rather than using a
subset of available octets.  This is of particular relevance where
some environments use DNS labels that conform to Internationalized
Domain Names for Applications (IDNA), and other environments use
labels containing Unicode characters (such as containing octets
corresponding to characters encoded as UTF-8).  In order for DNS-SD
to be used effectively in environments where multiple different name
systems and conventions for their operation are in use, it is
important to attend to differences in the underlying technology and
operational environment.  This memo presents an outline of the
requirements for the selection of labels for conventional DNS and
other resolution systems when they are expected to interoperate in
this manner.

This document is a product of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC