Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-05.txt> (Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Experimentation) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 08:38:11 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) Experimentation'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-09-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo updates RFC 3168, which specifies Explicit Congestion
   Notification (ECN) as a replacement for packet drops as indicators of
   network congestion.  It relaxes restrictions in RFC 3168 that would
   otherwise hinder experimentation towards benefits beyond just removal
   of loss.  This memo summarizes the anticipated areas of
   experimentation and updates RFC 3168 to enable experimentation in
   these areas.  An Experimental RFC is required to take advantage of
   any of these enabling updates.  In addition, this memo makes related
   updates to the ECN specifications for RTP in RFC 6679 and for DCCP in
   RFC 4341, RFC 4342 and RFC 5622.  This memo also records the
   conclusion of the ECN Nonce experiment in RFC 3540, and provides the
   rationale for reclassification of RFC 3540 as Historic; this
   reclassification enables new experimental use of the ECT(1)
   codepoint.

Please note that this is a second Last Call, necessary because the first Last
Call announcement omitted notification of a normative downref to 
RFC 3540, the document being moved to Historic.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc5622: Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4: TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP) (Experimental - IETF stream)
    rfc3540: Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)  Signaling with Nonces (Experimental - IETF stream)