Subject: RFC 8247 on Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage Guidance for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:05:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8247

        Title:      Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage 
                    Guidance for the Internet Key Exchange 
                    Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2) 
        Author:     Y. Nir, 
                    T. Kivinen,
                    P. Wouters, 
                    D. Migault
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 44739
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4307
        Updates:    RFC 7296

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc4307bis-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8247

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8247

The IPsec series of protocols makes use of various cryptographic
algorithms in order to provide security services.  The Internet Key
Exchange (IKE) protocol is used to negotiate the IPsec Security
Association (IPsec SA) parameters, such as which algorithms should be
used.  To ensure interoperability between different implementations,
it is necessary to specify a set of algorithm implementation
requirements and usage guidance to ensure that there is at least one
algorithm that all implementations support.  This document updates RFC
7296 and obsoletes RFC 4307 in defining the current algorithm
implementation requirements and usage guidance for IKEv2, and does
minor cleaning up of the IKEv2 IANA registry.  This document does not
update the algorithms used for packet encryption using IPsec
Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP).

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC