Subject: RFC 8244 on Special-Use Domain Names Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8244

        Title:      Special-Use Domain Names Problem Statement 
        Author:     T. Lemon, 
                    R. Droms,
                    W. Kumari
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 59995
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-sutld-ps-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8244

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8244

The policy defined in RFC 6761 for IANA registrations in the
"Special-Use Domain Names" registry has been shown, through
experience, to present challenges that were not anticipated when RFC
6761 was written.  This memo presents a list, intended to be
comprehensive, of the problems that have since been identified.  In
addition, it reviews the history of domain names and summarizes
current IETF publications and some publications from other
organizations relating to Special-Use Domain Names.

This document should be considered required reading for IETF
participants who wish to express an informed opinion on the topic of
Special-Use Domain Names.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC