Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation-09.txt> (Encapsulation for Bit Index Explicit Replication in MPLS and non-MPLS Networks) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 13:22:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG
(bier) to consider the following document: - 'Encapsulation for Bit Index
Explicit Replication in MPLS and non-MPLS
   Networks'
  <draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation-09.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-10-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that
   provides optimal multicast forwarding through a "multicast domain",
   without requiring intermediate routers to maintain any per-flow state
   or to engage in an explicit tree-building protocol.  When a multicast
   data packet enters the domain, the ingress router determines the set
   of egress routers to which the packet needs to be sent.  The ingress
   router then encapsulates the packet in a BIER header.  The BIER
   header contains a bitstring in which each bit represents exactly one
   egress router in the domain; to forward the packet to a given set of
   egress routers, the bits corresponding to those routers are set in
   the BIER header.  The details of the encapsulation depend on the type
   of network used to realize the multicast domain.  This document
   specifies a BIER encapsulation that can be used in an MPLS network,
   or with slight differences, in a non-MPLS network.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2448/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2985/