Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-10.txt> (TCP-ENO: Encryption Negotiation Option) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 05:54:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Increased Security WG (tcpinc)
to consider the following document: - 'TCP-ENO: Encryption Negotiation Option'
  <draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno-10.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-10-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Despite growing adoption of TLS, a significant fraction of TCP
   traffic on the Internet remains unencrypted.  The persistence of
   unencrypted traffic can be attributed to at least two factors.
   First, some legacy protocols lack a signaling mechanism (such as a
   "STARTTLS" command) by which to convey support for encryption, making
   incremental deployment impossible.  Second, legacy applications
   themselves cannot always be upgraded, requiring a way to implement
   encryption transparently entirely within the transport layer.  The
   TCP Encryption Negotiation Option (TCP-ENO) addresses both of these
   problems through a new TCP option kind providing out-of-band, fully
   backward-compatible negotiation of encryption.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpeno/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.