Subject: RFC 8265 on Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Representing Usernames and Passwords

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8265

        Title:      Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of 
                    Internationalized Strings Representing Usernames 
                    and Passwords 
        Author:     P. Saint-Andre, 
                    A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 62557
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7613

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-precis-7613bis-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8265

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8265

This document describes updated methods for handling Unicode strings
representing usernames and passwords.  The previous approach was
known as SASLprep (RFC 4013) and was based on Stringprep (RFC 3454).
The methods specified in this document provide a more sustainable
approach to the handling of internationalized usernames and
passwords.  This document obsoletes RFC 7613.

This document is a product of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC