Subject: Protocol Action: 'Mitigating Negative Impact of Maintenance through BGP Session Culling' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-grow-bgp-session-culling-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:20:16 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Mitigating Negative Impact of Maintenance through BGP Session Culling'
  (draft-ietf-grow-bgp-session-culling-05.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-bgp-session-culling/

Technical Summary

   This document outlines an approach to mitigate negative impact on
   networks resulting from maintenance activities.  It includes guidance
   for both IP networks and Internet Exchange Points (IXPs).  The
   approach is to ensure BGP-4 sessions affected by the maintenance are
   forcefully torn down before the actual maintenance activities
   commence.
 
   Basically, this suggests tearing down the BGP session (so it can reconverge)
   before breaking the data-plane. This is documenting a well known,
   and widely used (but not widely enough!) technique.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing of note in the WG process.

Document Quality

   This is documenting (with examples!) how to perform a
   operational practice which minimizes breakage. It is a 
   simple, but effective technique.

Personnel

   Shepherd: Chris Morrow ([email-masked])
   Responsible AD: Warren Kumari ([email-masked])