Subject: RFC 8257 on Data Center TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control for Data Centers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8257

        Title:      Data Center TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control
                    for Data Centers 
        Author:     S. Bensley,
                    D. Thaler,
                    P. Balasubramanian,
                    L. Eggert,
                    G. Judd
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 37357
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8257

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8257

This Informational RFC describes Data Center TCP (DCTCP): a TCP
congestion control scheme for data-center traffic.  DCTCP extends the
Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) processing to estimate the
fraction of bytes that encounter congestion rather than simply
detecting that some congestion has occurred.  DCTCP then scales the
TCP congestion window based on this estimate.  This method achieves
high-burst tolerance, low latency, and high throughput with shallow-
buffered switches.  This memo also discusses deployment issues
related to the coexistence of DCTCP and conventional TCP, discusses
the lack of a negotiating mechanism between sender and receiver, and
presents some possible mitigations.  This memo documents DCTCP as
currently implemented by several major operating systems.  DCTCP, as
described in this specification, is applicable to deployments in
controlled environments like data centers, but it must not be
deployed over the public Internet without additional measures.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC