Subject: Protocol Action: 'EST (Enrollment over Secure Transport) Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-turner-est-extensions-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:27:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EST (Enrollment over Secure Transport) Extensions'
  (draft-turner-est-extensions-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-turner-est-extensions/

Technical Summary

   The EST (Enrollment over Secure Transport) protocol defined a Well-
   Known URI (Uniform Resource Identifier): /.well-known/est.  EST also
   defined several path components that clients use for PKI (Public Key
   Infrastructure) services, namely certificate enrollment (e.g.,
   /simpleenroll).  In some sense, the services provided by the path
   components can be thought of as PKI management-related packages. 
   There are additional PKI-related packages a client might need as well
   as other security-related packages, such as firmware, trust anchors,
   and symmetric, asymmetric, and encrypted keys.  This document also
   specifies the PAL (Package Availability List), which is an XML
   (Extensible Markup Language) file or JSON (Javascript Object
   Notation) object that clients use to retrieve packages available and
   authorized for them.  This document extends the EST server path
   components to provide these additional services. 

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual draft, AD sponsored.  The was a fair amount 
   of review, including review from several XML experts.  The shepherd 
   is the author of other similar RFCs, so his review was helpful as well.

Document Quality

  There are a few implementations and there were several XML
  expert reviews.

Personnel

  Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible Security Area Director and
  Dan Harkins is the draft shepherd.
   
  The IANA Expert(s) for the PAL Package Types registry
   in this document is Sean Turner.

IANA Note

   IANA is requested to perform three registrations: PAL Name Space, PAL
   XML Schema, and PAL Package Types.  Future PAL Package Type registrations
   require expert review per RFC5226.