Subject: RFC 8254 on Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Registration Transition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 16:46:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8254

        Title:      Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace 
                    Registration Transition 
        Author:     J. Klensin, 
                    J. Hakala
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18618
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3044, RFC 3187

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8254

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8254

The original registration procedure for formal Uniform Resource Name
(URN) namespaces required IETF Consensus.  That requirement
discouraged some registrations and increased the risk for problems
that could occur as a result.  The requirements have now been changed
by RFC 8141, which adopts a different model, focusing on encouraging
registration and publication of information for all appropriate
namespaces.  This document clarifies the status of relevant older
RFCs and confirms and documents advice to IANA about selected
existing registrations.  This document also obsoletes RFCs 3044 and
3187 and moves them to Historic status.  These RFCs describe the ISSN
and ISBN namespaces, which are now outdated because the descriptions
reside in registration templates.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC