Subject: RFC 8292 on Voluntary Application Server Identification (VAPID) for Web Push

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 12:40:35 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8292

        Title:      Voluntary Application Server Identification (VAPID) 
                    for Web Push 
        Author:     M. Thomson,
                    P. Beverloo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 30106
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-webpush-vapid-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8292

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8292

An application server can use the Voluntary Application Server
Identification (VAPID) method described in this document to
voluntarily identify itself to a push service.  The "vapid"
authentication scheme allows a client to include its identity in a
signed token with requests that it makes.  The signature can be used
by the push service to attribute requests that are made by the same
application server to a single entity.  The identification
information can allow the operator of a push service to contact the
operator of the application server.  The signature can be used to
restrict the use of a push message subscription to a single
application server.

This document is a product of the Web-Based Push Notifications Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC