Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-13.txt> (Segment Routing Architecture) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 14:17:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Source Packet Routing in Networking
WG (spring) to consider the following document: - 'Segment Routing
Architecture'
  <draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-11-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Segment Routing (SR) leverages the source routing paradigm.  A node
   steers a packet through an ordered list of instructions, called
   segments.  A segment can represent any instruction, topological or
   service-based.  A segment can have a semantic local to an SR node or
   global within an SR domain.  SR allows to enforce a flow through any
   topological path while maintaining per-flow state only at the ingress
   nodes to the SR domain.

   Segment Routing can be directly applied to the MPLS architecture with
   no change on the forwarding plane.  A segment is encoded as an MPLS
   label.  An ordered list of segments is encoded as a stack of labels.
   The segment to process is on the top of the stack.  Upon completion
   of a segment, the related label is popped from the stack.

   Segment Routing can be applied to the IPv6 architecture, with a new
   type of routing header.  A segment is encoded as an IPv6 address.  An
   ordered list of segments is encoded as an ordered list of IPv6
   addresses in the routing header.  The active segment is indicated by
   the Destination Address of the packet.  The next active segment is
   indicated by a pointer in the new routing header.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2457/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2275/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2471/