Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-10.txt> (Centralized Replication for Active-Active BUM Traffic) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:32:32 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links WG (trill) to consider the following document: - 'Centralized
Replication for Active-Active BUM Traffic'
  <draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-12-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In TRILL active-active access, an RPF check failure issue may occur
   when using the pseudo-nickname mechanism specified in RFC 7781. This
   draft describes a solution to resolve this RPF check failure issue
   through centralized replication. All ingress RBridges send BUM
   (Broadcast, Unknown unicast and Mutlicast) traffic to a centralized
   node with unicast TRILL encapsulation. When the centralized node
   receives the BUM traffic, it decapsulates the packets and forwards
   them to their destination RBridges using a distribution tree
   established as per TRILL base protocol RFC 6325. To avoid RPF check
   failure on a RBridge sitting between the ingress RBridge and the
   centralized replication node, some change in the RPF calculation
   algorithm is required. RPF checks on each RBridge should be
   calculated as if the centralized node was the ingress RBridge,
   instead of being calculated using the actual ingress RBridge.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.