Subject: Protocol Action: 'Overview: Real Time Protocols for Browser-based Applications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:01:28 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Overview: Real Time Protocols for Browser-based Applications'
  (draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview/

Technical Summary

   This document gives an overview and context of a protocol suite
   intended for use with real-time applications that can be deployed in
   browsers - "real time communication on the Web".

   This document is an Applicability Statement - it does not itself
   specify any protocol, but specifies which other specifications WebRTC
   compliant implementations are supposed to follow.

Working Group Summary

  The document did not, itself, have an particularly controversial
  aspects, although some of the referenced documents did. There
  was some debate among the WG chairs regarding whether sending
  this document to the IESG before all of the documents it referenced
  had also been sent on. Ultimately, they decided to move it forward
  once the WG considered it finished. It is worth noting that the
  documents on which it relies are broadly considered stable at this
  time.

Document Quality

  The general WebRTC protocols that are referenced by this document
  are implemented to varying degrees by several major browsers
  (including Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and preview editions of
  Safari). Further, many non-browser implementations (as that term
  is defined in this document) exist, including the widely-deployed
  Asterisk PBX, Cisco's WebEx, and the MeetEcho service used for
  remote participation in IETF meetings.

Personnel

  Sean Turner is the document shepherd. Alissa Cooper was the
  responsible AD prior to IETF 98. The current responsible AD is
  Adam Roach.

IESG Note

  This document forms a portion of RFC Editor Cluster 238.