Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe-07.txt> (Segment Routing Centralized BGP Egress Peer Engineering) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 08:28:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Source Packet Routing in Networking
WG (spring) to consider the following document: - 'Segment Routing
Centralized BGP Egress Peer Engineering'
  <draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-11-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Segment Routing (SR) leverages source routing.  A node steers a
   packet through a controlled set of instructions, called segments, by
   prepending the packet with an SR header.  A segment can represent any
   instruction topological or service-based.  SR allows to enforce a
   flow through any topological path while maintaining per-flow state
   only at the ingress node of the SR domain.

   The Segment Routing architecture can be directly applied to the MPLS
   dataplane with no change on the forwarding plane.  It requires a
   minor extension to the existing link-state routing protocols.

   This document illustrates the application of Segment Routing to solve
   the BGP Egress Peer Engineering (BGP-EPE) requirement.  The SR-based
   BGP-EPE solution allows a centralized (Software Defined Network, SDN)
   controller to program any egress peer policy at ingress border
   routers or at hosts within the domain.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-central-epe/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2721/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2548/