Subject: Document Action: Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Signaling with Nonces to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:35:04 -0800

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Signaling with Nonces
  (rfc3540) to Historic

This document action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-ecn-signaling-with-nonces-to-historic/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc3540/

Status Change Details:

RFC 3540 described an optional usage of the ECT(0) and ECT(1) codepoints
in the IP header to verify the correct behavior of an ECN receiver and
verify that that there is no other interference that conceals marked
(or dropped) packets in the signaling path, for use in experimentation.

While the ECN Nonce works as specified, and has been deployed in
limited environments, widespread usage in the Internet has not
materialized.

With the emergence of new experimental functionality that depends on
use of the ECT(1) codepoint for other purposes, continuing to reserve
that codepoint for the ECN Nonce experiment is no longer justified.
The TSVWG working group has requested that this experiment be
explicitly concluded, and RFC 5340 moved to Historic status.

Further explanation and description of recent tests to measure ECN Nonce
usage on the Internet is available in draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation,
Section 3.

Personnel

   Spencer Dawkins is the responsible Area Director.