Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cancel-Locks in Netnews articles' to Proposed Standard (draft-baeuerle-netnews-cancel-lock-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 08:37:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Cancel-Locks in Netnews articles'
  (draft-baeuerle-netnews-cancel-lock-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-baeuerle-netnews-cancel-lock/

Technical Summary

This document defines an extension to the Netnews Article Format that 
may be used to authenticate the cancelling and superseding of existing 
articles.  If approved, this document updates RFC 5537.

Working Group Summary

Currently there is no IETF WG working on NNTP/Netnews.
The draft was reviewed by a few NNTP and Netnews experts in 
<news:news.software.nntp> and <news:de.comm.software.newsserver>.

Document Quality

Implementations of the mechanism already exist, like the canlock C 
library or Perl hooks available for news servers.
News clients like Gnus, flnews, slrn or tin natively implement it.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Julien Elie
Responsible Area Director: Alexey Melnikov