Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-07.txt> (PIM flooding mechanism and source discovery) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:52:24 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Protocols for IP Multicast WG (pim)
to consider the following document: - 'PIM flooding mechanism and source
discovery'
  <draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-07.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-01-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   PIM Sparse-Mode uses a Rendezvous Point and shared trees to forward
   multicast packets from new sources.  Once last hop routers receive
   packets from a new source, they may join the Shortest Path Tree for
   the source for optimal forwarding.  This draft defines a new
   mechanism that provides a way to support PIM Sparse Mode (SM) without
   the need for PIM registers, RPs or shared trees.  Multicast source
   information is flooded throughout the multicast domain using a new
   generic PIM flooding mechanism.  This allows last hop routers to
   learn about new sources without receiving initial data packets.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1647/