Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-19.txt> (Negotiating Human Language in Real-Time Communications) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:06:13 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Selection of Language for Internet
Media WG (slim) to consider the following document: - 'Negotiating Human
Language in Real-Time Communications'
  <draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-19.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-12-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Users have various human (natural) language needs, abilities, and
   preferences regarding spoken, written, and signed languages.  This
   document adds new SDP media-level attributes so that when
   establishing interactive communication sessions ("calls"), it is
   possible to negotiate (communicate and match) the caller's language
   and media needs with the capabilities of the called party.  This is
   especially important with emergency calls, where a call can be
   handled by a call taker capable of communicating with the user, or a
   translator or relay operator can be bridged into the call during
   setup, but this applies to non-emergency calls as well (as an
   example, when calling a company call center).

   This document describes the need and a solution using new SDP media
   attributes.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-chat: Interworking between the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): One-to-One Text Chat (None - )