Subject: RFC 8275 on Allowing Inheritable NFSv4 Access Control Entries to Override the Umask

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:40:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8275

        Title:      Allowing Inheritable NFSv4 Access Control Entries
                    to Override the Umask 
        Author:     J. Fields,
                    A. Gruenbacher
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13271
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-umask-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8275

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8275

In many environments, inheritable NFSv4 Access Control Entries (ACEs)
can be rendered ineffective by the application of the per-process
file mode creation mask (umask).  This can be addressed by
transmitting the umask and create mode as separate pieces of data,
allowing the server to make more intelligent decisions about the
permissions to set on new files.  This document proposes a protocol
extension to accomplish that.

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC