Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internationalization Updates to RFC 5280' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5280-i18n-update-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 16:19:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internationalization Updates to RFC 5280'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5280-i18n-update-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Eric Rescorla.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5280-i18n-update/

Technical Summary

This document provides updates to RFC 5280 regarding the handling of
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and Internationalized Email
Addresses in X.509 Certificates.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus for this document in the LAMPS WG.

Document Quality

 X.509 certificates are supported by many Certification Authorities
 and relying parties, especially browsers and S/MIME clients. Several
 implementers have said that they will implement the features in this
 document.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Phillip Hallam-Baker. The responsible Area Director is Eric Rescorla.