Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-09.txt> (Multicast VPN Using BIER) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:33:13 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG
(bier) to consider the following document: - 'Multicast VPN Using BIER'
  <draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-09.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Multicast Virtual Private Network (MVPN) specifications require
   the use of multicast tunnels ("P-tunnels") that traverse a Service
   Provider's backbone network.  The P-tunnels are used for carrying
   multicast traffic across the backbone.  A variety of P-tunnel types
   are supported.  Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is a new
   architecture that provides optimal multicast forwarding through a
   "multicast domain", without requiring intermediate routers to
   maintain any per-flow state or to engage in an explicit tree-building
   protocol.  This document specifies the protocol and procedures that
   allow MVPN to use BIER as the method of carrying multicast traffic
   over an SP backbone network.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-mvpn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-mvpn/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.