Subject: RFC 8309 on Service Models Explained

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:53:38 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8309

        Title:      Service Models Explained 
        Author:     Q. Wu, 
                    W. Liu,
                    A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 54082
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-service-model-explained-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8309

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8309

The IETF has produced many modules in the YANG modeling language.
The majority of these modules are used to construct data models to
model devices or monolithic functions.

A small number of YANG modules have been defined to model services
(for example, the Layer 3 Virtual Private Network Service Model
(L3SM) produced by the L3SM working group and documented in RFC
8049).

This document describes service models as used within the IETF and
also shows where a service model might fit into a software-defined
networking architecture.  Note that service models do not make any
assumption of how a service is actually engineered and delivered for
a customer; details of how network protocols and devices are
engineered to deliver a service are captured in other modules that
are not exposed through the interface between the customer and the
provider.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC