Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-15.txt> (Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 11:51:03 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the TURN Revised and Modernized WG
(tram) to consider the following document: - 'Session Traversal Utilities for
NAT (STUN)'
  <draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) is a protocol that serves
   as a tool for other protocols in dealing with Network Address
   Translator (NAT) traversal.  It can be used by an endpoint to
   determine the IP address and port allocated to it by a NAT.  It can
   also be used to check connectivity between two endpoints, and as a
   keep-alive protocol to maintain NAT bindings.  STUN works with many
   existing NATs, and does not require any special behavior from them.

   STUN is not a NAT traversal solution by itself.  Rather, it is a tool
   to be used in the context of a NAT traversal solution.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5389.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stunbis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stunbis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.