Subject: Protocol Action: 'Resource ReserVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) Path Diversity using Exclude Route' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-teas-lsp-diversity-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 09:37:50 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Resource ReserVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) Path
   Diversity using Exclude Route'
  (draft-ietf-teas-lsp-diversity-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-lsp-diversity/

Technical Summary

Resource ReSerVation Protocol-Traffic Engineering provides support
for the communication of exclusion information during label switched
path (LSP) setup. A typical LSP diversity use case is for
protection, where two LSPs should follow different paths through the
network in order to avoid single points of failure, thus greatly
improving service availability. This document specifies an approach
which can be used for network scenarios where full knowledge of the
path(s) is not necessarily known by use of an abstract identifier
for the path. Three types of abstract identifiers are specified:
client-based, Path Computation Engine (PCE)-based, network-based.
This document specifies two new diversity subobjects for the RSVP
eXclude Route Object (XRO) and the Explicit Exclusion Route
Subobject (EXRS).

Working Group Summary

An earlier version of this document failed WG last call.  This
version represents a substantial rework, with additional input from
the WG.  It now has reasonable support, and no objections.

Document Quality

The base RSVP-TE mechanisms have been implemented.  The extensions
defined in this document can coexist with earlier implementations.
Multiple implementors and vendors contributed to this document and
are expected to implement the defined mechanisms.  

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Lou Berger
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard