Subject: Protocol Action: 'Operating the Network Service Header (NSH) with Next Protocol "None"' to Proposed Standard (draft-farrel-sfc-convent-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:28:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operating the Network Service Header (NSH) with Next Protocol "None"'
  (draft-farrel-sfc-convent-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Service Function Chaining Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrel-sfc-convent/

Technical Summary

  This document describes the use of the Network Service Header (NSH) in 
  a Service Function Chaining (SFC) enabled network with no payload data 
  and carrying only metadata.  This is achieved by defining a new NSH "Next 
  Protocol" type value of "None". This new capability is proposed as a standard 
  extension to NSH.

Working Group Summary

  The extension is straightforward, and there was no difficulty in coming to 
  consensus. Because of its simplicity, and since there was good acceptance 
  of the draft, the WG chairs decides to proceed directly to WG last call without 
  going through a WG adoption process. A fair number of people have reviewed 
  the document and sent comments to the SFC mailing list, and the authors have 
  addressed the comments that required addressing. There seems to be consensus 
  in the working group that the document is ready for publication.

Document Quality

   There are no known implementations.
   The document requests an IANA allocation that requires expert review. The SFC 
   WG chairs are both listed as experts for this specific IANA registry, and have 
   reviewed the draft.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Tal Mizrahi. 
   The responsible Area Director is Alia Atlas.