Subject: Document Action: 'Modern Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:29:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Modern Problem Statement, Use Cases, and Framework'
  (draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Managing, Ordering, Distributing,
Exposing, & Registering telephone Numbers Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-modern-problem-framework/

Technical Summary

  The functions of the public switched telephone network (PSTN) are rapidly
  migrating to the Internet. This is generating new requirements for many
  traditional elements of the PSTN, including telephone numbers (TNs). TNs no
  longer serve simply as telephone routing addresses: they are now identifiers
  which may be used by Internet-based services for a variety of purposes
  including session establishment, identity verification, and service
  enablement. This problem statement examines how the existing tools for
  allocating and managing telephone numbers do not align with the use cases of
  the Internet environment, and proposes a framework for Internet-based
  services relying on TNs.

Working Group Summary

  There was some controversy when the MODERN working group was formed about
  the scope of work for the group. Discussions around these concerns resulted
  in clarifications of the architecture and requirements reflected in this
  document. In the end there was strong working group consensus on the
  contents of this document.

Document Quality

  This document is an architecture and requirements document.  As such, it
  does not define a protocol or anything that can be directly implemented.

Personnel

  Steve Donovan is the Document Shepherd.
  Adam Roach is the Responsible Area Director.

IESG Note

  This document is an informational use case and architecture document. The
  working group wishes to publish it as an RFC because it contains important
  terminology and concepts that will be referenced from the solutions RFCs.