Subject: Document Action: 'Effects of Pervasive Encryption on Operators' to Informational RFC (draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-25.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 02:41:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Effects of Pervasive Encryption on Operators'
  (draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-25.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Warren Kumari.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/

Technical Summary

   Pervasive Monitoring (PM) attacks on the privacy of Internet users is
   of serious concern to both the user and the operator communities.
   RFC7258 discussed the critical need to protect users' privacy when
   developing IETF specifications and also recognized making networks
   unmanageable to mitigate PM is not an acceptable outcome, an
   appropriate balance is needed.  This document discusses current
   security and network operations and management practices that may be
   impacted by the shift to increased use of encryption to help guide
   protocol development in support of manageable, secure networks.

Working Group Summary

   This is an AD-sponsored document. It was discussed in SAAG, both on 
   the mailing list and in at least one face-to-face meeting (IETF 97 and 
   before).  First IETF LC completed 2017-03-13, and it was on the
   2017-04-13 telechat. There was significant discussion and revision to 
   address the comments/concerns raised during IESG eval, and so a second 
   IETF LC was held, and additional feedback / review solicited and incorporated.

Document Quality

   This Informational document is a fairly extensive collection of security 
   and network management functions that will likely be impacted by the 
   increased use of encryption. Note that this document is a list of issues; 
   there is no attempt to ameliorate the problems in the list. It is meant to 
   help those who are attempting to create solutions to the problem by 
   giving a taxonomy of problems and ab list of useful references. It has 
   been significantly reworked since the first ballot to address the
   comments received, and also to change the tone.

Personnel

   Paul Hoffman is the document shepherd. Stephen Farrell was the
   responsible AD, Warren Kumari has taken the baton since.