Subject: RFC 8365 on A Network Virtualization Overlay Solution Using Ethernet VPN (EVPN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 18:01:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8365

        Title:      A Network Virtualization Overlay Solution 
                    Using Ethernet VPN (EVPN) 
        Author:     A. Sajassi, Ed.,
                    J. Drake, Ed.,
                    N. Bitar,
                    R. Shekhar,
                    J. Uttaro,
                    W. Henderickx
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 76766
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8365

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8365

This document specifies how Ethernet VPN (EVPN) can be used as a
Network Virtualization Overlay (NVO) solution and explores the
various tunnel encapsulation options over IP and their impact on the
EVPN control plane and procedures.  In particular, the following
encapsulation options are analyzed: Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN),
Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation (NVGRE),
and MPLS over GRE.  This specification is also applicable to Generic
Network Virtualization Encapsulation (GENEVE); however, some
incremental work is required, which will be covered in a separate
document.  This document also specifies new multihoming procedures
for split-horizon filtering and mass withdrawal.  It also specifies
EVPN route constructions for VXLAN/NVGRE encapsulations and
Autonomous System Border Router (ASBR) procedures for multihoming of
Network Virtualization Edge (NVE) devices.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC