Subject: Photography policy

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:32:29 +0000

Thanks all for the spirited discussion of the proposed photography policy [1].

The IESG has updated the photography policy based on the feedback we
received to focus more on establishing norms and less on enforcement, as well
as to better balance people's desires not to be photographed with the need
for transparency, particularly for photographs of presenters and leadership.

This policy will be in effect for IETF 101 in London. The secretariat will
make two types of lanyards available at registration:

- White lanyard: Individual is OK with being photographed 
- Red lanyard: Individual desires not to be photographed

This is our first time with this policy, so the IESG will be watching the
results in London and the feedback we receive on how it goes to determine if
changes are required.

The policy is posted at https://www7.ietf.org/blog/ietf-meeting-photography-policy/ and 
included below.

Alissa Cooper, IETF Chair
on behalf of the IESG

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/Qz6UNZ-7jBgK_KKu7mSgvi89GdE

--------------

IETF Meeting Photography Policy

The intent behind this policy is to balance people's legitimate desire not to
be photographed with the IETF's ability to document activities and enable
remote participation. The following policy applies to all IETF events,
including WG meetings, plenaries, and the hackathon.

LABELLING 
The IETF will make available a mechanism for participants to label themselves
as desiring not to be photographed. The secretariat will determine the
details in consultation with the IESG.

OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY 
Any photographer engaged on behalf of the IETF should not photograph
individuals displaying the "do-not-photograph" label, should make reasonable
efforts to avoid photographing small groups with one or more members
displaying the label, and should not publish small group photographs with
such individuals in them. There are two important exceptions to this policy:

- IETF leadership (IESG, IAB, WG Chairs, Presenters) performing their
official responsibilities may be photographed.

- Photographs of large groups may contain incidental images of such
individuals and we will not attempt to redact those. Specifically,
photographs of panels and the like (e.g., the IESG/IAB plenary) are expected
to contain all individuals regardless of labelling.

Working group meetings are generally video recorded and broadcast, for remote
participation and archival purposes, and no attempt will be made to avoid
recording individuals. However, if the IETF publishes still frames of these
videos, individuals displaying the labels should not be shown.

Note: the use of "should" above is intended to reflect that although this is
IETF policy, it is a best effort service and some mistakes will likely be
made, perhaps because someone's label is not noticed or visible. Individuals
can contact Greg Wood (wood at isoc.org) to arrange for redaction of their
images or to report abuse.

UNOFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY 
Many IETF participants also engage in photography. We ask that those
participants avoid photographing individuals who have asked not to be
photographed or are displaying the "do-not-photograph" label, except under
the conditions listed above.