Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Network Configuration (netconf)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 01:08:25 -0700

The Network Configuration (netconf) WG in the Operations and Management Area
of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please contact
the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Network Configuration (netconf)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
  Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/netconf/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/netconf/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netconf/

The NETCONF Working Group, previously named after the NETCONF protocol, now
renamed as the NETwork CONFiguration Working Group, is responsible for the
development and maintenance of protocols such as NETCONF and RESTCONF for
YANG data model-driven management (for the purposes of, for example,
configuration, monitoring, telemetry, and zero-touch), their transports and
encodings, defining data models necessary to support the protocols, and
defining mechanisms supporting the operational deployment of systems using
the protocols.

The NETCONF protocol is data modeling language independent, but YANG (RFC
7950) is the recommended NETCONF data modeling language, which introduces
advanced language features for configuration management.

The NETCONF WG is currently responsible for:

   a) The network management protocol NETCONF (RFC 6241). This effort entails
   periodically updating the NETCONF related specifications to address new
   requirements as they arise.

   b) The network management protocol RESTCONF (RFC 8040). This effort
   entails periodically updating the RESTCONF related specifications to
   address new requirements as they arise.

   c) The transports and encodings used by the data model-driven protocols.

   d) The data models and mechanisms related to network management protocols.
   Specifically, data models enabling the configuration and/or monitoring of
   the protocols themselves. Other examples include data models for
   configuring access controls or discovering server metadata.

   e) The data models for subscriptions to data, and protocol bindings for
   pushing subscribed data to clients, for the purpose of monitoring and
   telemetry.

   f) The mechanisms enabling devices zero-touch provisioning and the related
   call home functions.

   The NETCONF working group consults with the NETMOD working group to
   ensure that new requirements are understood and can be met by the
   YANG data modeling language (RFC 7950) developed within that working
   group.

Milestones:

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for Zero-touch Configuration Mechanism

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for advanced Notification/Subscription Specifications

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for NMDA NETCONF

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for NMDA RESTCONF

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for YANG Push

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for NETCONF Support for Event Notifications

  Mar 2018 - WGLC for YANG Library bis (as Standards Track)

  Apr 2018 - WGLC for System-level Keystore Mechanism

  Apr 2018 - WGLC for Server and Client Configuration Models for NETCONF and
  RESTCONF

  Apr 2018 - WGLC for Client and Server Configuration Models for SSH and TLS

  May 2018 - WGLC for RESTCONF and HTTP Transport for Event Notifications

  May 2018 - WGLC for YANG Notification Headers and Bundles

  Dec 2018 - Submit draft-ietf-netconf-udp-pub-channel to IESG for
  publication (as Standards Track)