Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multicast VPN Using BIER' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 05:52:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multicast VPN Using BIER'
  (draft-ietf-bier-mvpn-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-mvpn/

Technical Summary

   The Multicast Virtual Private Network (MVPN) specifications require
   the use of multicast tunnels ("P-tunnels") that traverse a Service
   Provider's backbone network.  The P-tunnels are used for carrying
   multicast traffic across the backbone.  A variety of P-tunnel types
   are supported.  Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is a new
   architecture that provides optimal multicast forwarding through a
   "multicast domain", without requiring intermediate routers to
   maintain any per-flow state or to engage in an explicit tree-building
   protocol.  This document specifies the protocol and procedures that
   allow MVPN to use BIER as the method of carrying multicast traffic
   over an SP backbone network.

Working Group Summary

  The draft has been well received.
   
   Although this draft is currently Experimental, the BIER WG is in the middle of
   rechartering to be Standards Track and it is expected that a Status Update will
   change this draft in place to be Proposed Standard.

Document Quality

Based on the discussions at the WG (IETF 98/99) multiple implementations exist and in other cases vendors indicated a strong roadmap commitment.

Personnel

    Document Shepherd:  Nabeel Cocker
    Responsible Area Director: Alia Atlas 

RFC Editor Note

Please change the Reference from "draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-expl-track" from
Informative to Normative.