Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07.txt> (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:21:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Limited Additional Mechanisms for
PKIX and SMIME WG (lamps) to consider the following document: -
'Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0
   Message Specification'
  <draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-04-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
   (S/MIME) version 4.0.  S/MIME provides a consistent way to send and
   receive secure MIME data.  Digital signatures provide authentication,
   message integrity, and non-repudiation with proof of origin.
   Encryption provides data confidentiality.  Compression can be used to
   reduce data size.  This document obsoletes RFC 5751.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.