Subject: Document Action: 'Representing DNS Messages in JSON' to Informational RFC (draft-hoffman-dns-in-json-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 08:30:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Representing DNS Messages in JSON'
  (draft-hoffman-dns-in-json-16.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-dns-in-json/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a mapping of DNS messages into JSON;
   it allows for conversion to and from the DNS binary message format.
   It defines the expected JSON syntax for the common properties
   within a DNS message, a mechanism for encoding binary data
   without representation, and a common mechanism to specify
   a query/response pair.  The data format allows for future
   extensibility, such as additional type-specific values.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG document, however MILE WG has considered referencing
   this document in the past.

Document Quality

   This document received reviews from those versed in the DNS and
   applications with little controversy.  There have been some comments
   made on its generic nature; the document explicitly states it provides
   a mapping without opinions, and applications of this data format
   are allowed and encouraged to constrain it for their needs.

Personnel

   Matthew Miller is the document shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

  Based on IESG review feedback the document status was changed from Experimental to Informational.