Subject: Protocol Action: 'Parallel NFS (pNFS) Flexible File Layout' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-flex-files-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 10:31:36 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Parallel NFS (pNFS) Flexible File Layout'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-flex-files-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-flex-files/

Technical Summary

       This Internet-Draft introduces the Flex File Layout Type
       to extend parallel NFS (pNFS).  This layout type allows for
       the control protocol to be defined in another I-D or
       to be the NFS storage protocol.  This I-D details the
       interaction of the new layout type with both NFSv4.1
       and NFSv4.2 metadata servers. It also introduces
       client-side mirroring for the replication of files.

Working Group Summary

       The WG had no major issues during the WGLC. The new layout
       type is implementable. There are several client and server
       implementations already interoperating based on the I-D.

Document Quality

       This Internet Draft reviews and clarifies the requirements
       for creating a new Layout Type.  It uses the three existing
       Layout Type specification as case studies to show that the
       requirements were issues considered during the creation of
       earlier Layout Types.  I.e., it captures the relevancy of
       the requirements.  The content of this document has received
       quality feedback and review throughout its life.

Personnel

   Spencer Shepler (NFSv4 WG co-chair) is the document shepherd
   Spencer Dawkins is the Responsible Area Director.