Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Considerations for IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Prefix Information Option Flags' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-ndpioiana-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 08:29:21 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IANA Considerations for IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Prefix Information
   Option Flags'
  (draft-ietf-6man-ndpioiana-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ndpioiana/

Technical Summary

   The Prefix Information Option in the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Router
   Advertisement defines an 8-bit flag field with two flags defined and
   the remaining 6 bits reserved (Reserved1).  RFC 6275 has defined a
   new flag from this field without creating a IANA registry or updating
   RFC 4861.  The purpose of this document is to request that IANA to
   create a new registry for the PIO flags to avoid potential conflict
   in the use of these flags.

Working Group Summary

   There is support for this document in the 6MAN working group.  There
   is a consensus to advance this document.

Document Quality

   The quality of the document is very good, it has received adequate
   review in the working group on the mailing list and at a 6man session
   at an IETF meeting.

Personnel

   Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd. Suresh Krishnan is the Responsible Area Director.