Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) bis' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 09:43:13 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) bis'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis/

Technical Summary

  This document describes the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
  IPv6 (DHCPv6).  It updates the text from RFC3315, the original
  DHCPv6 specification, and incorporates prefix delegation (RFC3633),
  stateless DHCPv6 (RFC3736), an option to specify an upper bound for
  how long a client should wait before refreshing information
  (RFC4242), a mechanism for throttling DHCPv6 clients when DHCPv6
  service is not available (RFC7083), and clarifies the interactions
  between modes of operation (RFC7550).  As such, this document
  obsoletes RFC3315, RFC3633, RFC3736, RFC4242, RFC7083, and RFC7550.

Working Group Summary

  The dhc WG undertook the development of rfc3315bis to move
  DHCPv6/RFC3315 to Internet Standard.  The process was scoped to do
  minimal updates to RFC 3315 and incorporate a few core followup RFCs
  into rfc3315bis for publication as an Internet Standard.  The bulk
  of the work on rfc3315bis was done be a design team, with frequent
  reports back to the full dhc WG.

  Because there are some minor protocol changes from previous RFCs in
  rfc3315bis, and no implementation experience with the protocol as
  specified in rfc3315bis, the dhc Working Group requests that
  rfc3315bis be published as Proposed Standard.

  There were no points or decisions about rfc3315bis that caused
  controversy or for which consensus was determined to be particularly
  rough.  The origin documents, RFC 3315 et al., were sufficiently
  well-written and have sufficient implementation and deployment
  experience to minimize the discussion about rfc3315bis.

Document Quality

  Section 1 summarizes the relationship of rfc3315bis to several RFCs
  that define the current DHCPv6 specification.  Appendix A of
  rfc3315bis lists the changes in the DHCPv6 specification relative to
  RFC 3315.
  
  rfc3315bis has received significant review by the dhc Working Group
  in two Working Group last calls.  Summaries of the issues raised
  during the last calls is available at:

     https://github.com/dhcwg/rfc3315bis/blob/master/wglc-issues-draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-05.pdf
     https://github.com/dhcwg/rfc3315bis/blob/master/3315bis%20WGLC%20(draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-08)%20-%20June%202017%20-%20Sheet1.pdf

  The Acknowledgments section cites individuals who contributed
  thorough and helpful reviews.

  There are no implementations of DHCPv6 that include the changes to
  the protocol specified in rfc3315bis.  There are, of course, many
  implementations of DHCPv6 based on RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs.
  rfc3315bis incorporates updates to the DHCPv6 specification based on
  interop tests among several DHCPv6 implementations.  At least four
  vendors are interested in updating their implementations: Cisco,
  Huawei, ISC and Nominum.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Ralph Droms, [email-masked]
  Area Director: Suresh Krishnan, [email-masked]