Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-04.txt> (Using Conditional Router Advertisements for Enterprise Multihoming) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 09:59:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document: - 'Using Conditional Router Advertisements
for Enterprise Multihoming'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-05-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document discusses the most common scenarios of connecting an
   enterprise network to multiple ISPs using an address space assigned
   by an ISP.  The problem of enterprise multihoming without address
   translation of any form has not been solved yet as it requires both
   the network to select the correct egress ISP based on the packet
   source address and hosts to select the correct source address based
   on the desired egress ISP for that traffic.  The "ietf-rtgwg-
   enterprise-pa-multihoming" document proposes a solution to this
   problem by introducing a new routing functionality (Source Address
   Dependent Routing) to solve the uplink selection issue and using
   Router Advertisements to influence the host source address selection.
   While the above-mentioned document focuses on solving the general
   problem and on covering various complex use cases, this document
   describes how the solution proposed in the "ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-
   multihoming" draft can be adopted for a limited number of common use
   cases.  In particular, the focus is on scenarios where an enterprise
   network has two Internet uplinks used either in primary/backup mode
   or simultaneously and hosts in that network might not yet properly
   support multihoming as described in RFC8028.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.