Subject: Protocol Action: 'SMTP TLS Reporting' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 09:27:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SMTP TLS Reporting'
  (draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-22.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Using TLS in Applications Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt/

Technical Summary

   A number of protocols exist for establishing encrypted channels
   between SMTP Mail Transfer Agents, including STARTTLS, DANE TLSA, and
   MTA-STS.  These protocols can fail due to misconfiguration or active
   attack, leading to undelivered messages or delivery over unencrypted
   or unauthenticated channels.  This document describes a reporting
   mechanism and format by which sending systems can share statistics
   and specific information about potential failures with recipient
   domains.  Recipient domains can then use this information to both
   detect potential attackers and diagnose unintentional
   misconfigurations.

Working Group Summary

   The WG consensus for adoption this draft was strong and the core of
   the draft remained stable from the first version. Most discussions in the WG 
   were concerned with clarifications and with supporting of additional
   features like automated parsing of MIME headers. The MIME encoding 
   of TLS report was discussed a lot with WG members changing their opinions.
   The draft has passed through two WGLCs and I think that overall it has 
   received enough scrutiny from reviewers.

Document Quality

   To document shepherd's knowledge there are no implementations
   of this draft to date. However all the authors expressed a desire to
   implement it and some implementations are under way.

Personnel

   Valery Smyslov is the document shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

[[RFC Editor: if draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf gets published as an RFC before this document,
please add the following text (as a new 6.X Section) to the IANA Considerations section.
Otherwise, please ask editors of draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf to include this entry in
draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf directly]]

Please add the following entry to the "DNS Underscore Global Scoped Entry Registry"
that will be established by draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf.

   RR Type:    TXT

   _Node Name:    _tls

   References:    [RFCXXXX]