Subject: Protocol Action: 'Requirements for pNFS Layout Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 09:45:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for pNFS Layout Types'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-layout-types/

Technical Summary

       This Internet-Draft outlines high-level requirements for
       the introduction of new Layout Types into parallel NFS
       (pNFS).  In RFC5661, the delineation between the requirements
       for pNFS and the File Layout Type is not clear for all
       readers. This I-D clarifies the responsibilities of a generic
       Layout Type by examining all of the existing Layout Types,
       not just the File Layout Type.

Working Group Summary

        When discussing new proposed Layout Types, there was a lot
	of confusion about the role of a Control Protocol between
	the metadata server, the storage devices, and the clients.
	The casting of the Control Protocol as a set of requirements
	has reduced that confusion and has resulted in a broad
	consensus to support this I-D.

Document Quality

       This Internet Draft reviews and clarifies the requirements
        for creating a new Layout Type.  It uses the three existing
        Layout Type specification as case studies to show that the
	requirements were issues considered during the creation of
	earlier Layout Types.  I.e., it captures the relevancy of
	the requirements.  The content of this document has received
	quality feedback and review throughout its life.

Personnel

Spencer Shepler (NFSv4 WG co-chair) is the document shepherd
Spencer Dawkins is the Responsible Area Director.