Subject: Document Action: 'Routing Information Base Info Model' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 04:51:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Routing Information Base Info Model'
  (draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model-17.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Interface to the Routing System Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Deborah Brungard and Martin
Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-info-model/

Technical Summary

   Routing and routing functions in enterprise and carrier networks are
   typically performed by network devices (routers and switches) using a
   routing information base (RIB).  Protocols and configuration push
   data into the RIB and the RIB manager installs state into the
   hardware for packet forwarding.  This draft specifies an information
   model for the RIB to enable defining a standardized data model, and
   it was used by the IETF's I2RS WG to design the I2RS RIB data model.
   It is being published to record the higher-level informational model
   decisions for RIBs so that other developers of RIBs may benefit from
   the design concepts.

Working Group Summary

  The I2RS WG and the authors have waited on the 
  NETMOD/NETCONF WG to complete its work on 
  revising the network management datastore architecture. 
  Now that the latter is completed the I2RS WG believes this Document
  can now itself progress.

Document Quality

This is an informational model which 
helped form the draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model.

The document has been through repeated reviews and debates
within netmod/I2rs. 
It is worth publishing because we see repeatly additional 
attempts to do a RIB model without the same thought. 
This model can support NMDA dynamic datastores or
normal datastores.  It depends on where it is mounted. 

Personnel

 Susan Hares is the Document Shepherd
 Martin Vigoureux is the Responsible Area Director