Subject: RFC 8386 on Privacy Considerations for Protocols Relying on IP Broadcast or Multicast

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 08:42:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8386

        Title:      Privacy Considerations for Protocols Relying 
                    on IP Broadcast or Multicast 
        Author:     R. Winter, 
                    M. Faath,
                    F. Weisshaar
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 32238
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8386

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8386

A number of application-layer protocols make use of IP broadcast or
multicast messages for functions such as local service discovery or
name resolution.  Some of these functions can only be implemented
efficiently using such mechanisms.  When using broadcast or multicast
messages, a passive observer in the same broadcast or multicast
domain can trivially record these messages and analyze their content.
Therefore, designers of protocols that make use of broadcast or
multicast messages need to take special care when designing their
protocols.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC