Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bootstrapping WebSockets with HTTP/2' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:43:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Bootstrapping WebSockets with HTTP/2'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-h2-websockets/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a mechanism for running the WebSocket Protocol over
   a single stream of an HTTP/2 connection.

Working Group Summary

   This document enjoyed broad discussion and review in the HTTP Working Group; there seems to be
   significant community interest in it, since it enables the use of WebSockets on a HTTP/2 server,
   reducing operational issues for Web sites.

   There was some concern about whether it was appropriate for a version-specific extension (a HTTP/2
   SETTING) to modify the semantics of a version-generic HTTP method (CONNECT), but the WG reached
   consensus that CONNECT is "special" in this regard.

Document Quality

   Deployment depends upon implementation in Web browsers;
   at least one has already written code for this feature and is in process of shipping it.

Personnel

   Mark Nottingham is the Document Shepherd; Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.