Subject: Protocol Action: 'IMAP $Important Keyword and \Important Special-Use Attribute' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-extra-specialuse-important-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:38:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMAP $Important Keyword and \Important Special-Use Attribute'
  (draft-ietf-extra-specialuse-important-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise
or Amend Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-specialuse-important/

Technical Summary

  This spec extends IMAP with an additional special-use [RFC6154]
  type for a mailbox (possibly virtual) which stores messages that
  may be important to the user.

  The document also creates a registry for mailbox uses to allow
  other uses to be defined in future.

Working Group Summary

  The only topic of debate was how to make the the registry useful
  for JMAP and other non-IMAP specifications as well, which led to
  adding instructions to IANA for a free-form column with usage
  guidance.

Document Quality

  An \Important special-use has been implemented by Gmail already,
  and all the other server implementations said it would be easy to
  add.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd - Bron Gondwana (EXTRA co-chair)
  Responsible Area Director - Alexey Melnikov