Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Early Data in HTTP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 05:36:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using Early Data in HTTP'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-replay/

Technical Summary

This document defines requirements for the sending and handling of
early data at the HTTP layer. Early data is data associated with the
0-RTT phases of TLS 1.3 and QUIC and is subject to being replayed. The
document creates mechanisms for Clients, Servers, and Intermediaries
to communicate the status of early data and minimize the risk of
replay. It is applicable to all versions of HTTP.

Working Group Summary

Development of this document mostly focused on the relationship of
intermediaries with early data on both the client and server side of
their connection. Issues with partly recevied early data also
underwent considerable revision but without significant controversy.

Document Quality

Participation in the document's review and development was very
broad. The three authors come from a client, a CDN, and an
intermediary background. There was a high level of discussion
throughout the process and the Working Group Last Call received review
comments from 12 different individuals indicating thorough review.

There was strong consensus in the working group for this document with
many also expressing an eagerness to have it deployed in the same time
frame as TLS 1.3 deployment.

There are known implementations in a browser, server, and intermediary
and statements of intent to implement from several other parties.

Personnel

Patrick McManus is the document shepherd; Alexey Melnikov is the
responsible Area Director.