Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - STATUS=SIZE Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:36:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) - STATUS=SIZE Extension'
  (draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size-02.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Email mailstore and eXtensions To Revise
or Amend Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-extra-imap-status-size/

Technical Summary

  This spec extends IMAP to provide a way for clients to access
  a piece of data that many servers already keep, the total size
  of a mailbox.

Working Group Summary

  The only topic of debate was how tightly to define the method
  for calculating the size.  Many servers already implement a
  non-standard way to access this information, and many clients
  want access to the information.

Document Quality

  The Dovecot server already implements it.  It was implemented
  on the day it was proposed in the Cyrus IMAPd server.  Other
  vendors have stated their intention to implement.  All the
  server and client authors said that they would be able to
  implement the standard easily and agreed it was the best way
  to do it.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd - Bron Gondwana (EXTRA co-chair)
  Responsible Area Director - Alexey Melnikov