Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-09.txt> (TCP Alternative Backoff with ECN (ABE)) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 07:19:44 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
WG (tcpm) to consider the following document: - 'TCP Alternative Backoff with
ECN (ABE)'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-09.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-08-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanisms allow for burst tolerance
   while enforcing short queues to minimise the time that packets spend
   enqueued at a bottleneck.  This can cause noticeable performance
   degradation for TCP connections traversing such a bottleneck,
   especially if there are only a few flows or their bandwidth-delay-
   product is large.  The reception of a Congestion Experienced (CE) ECN
   mark indicates that an AQM mechanism is used at the bottleneck, and
   therefore the bottleneck network queue is likely to be short.
   Feedback of this signal allows the TCP sender-side ECN reaction in
   congestion avoidance to reduce the Congestion Window (cwnd) by a
   smaller amount than the congestion control algorithm's reaction to
   inferred packet loss.  This specification therefore defines an
   experimental change to the TCP reaction specified in RFC3168, as
   permitted by RFC 8311.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.