Subject: Document Action: 'Padding Policy for EDNS(0)' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-dprive-padding-policy-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 04:24:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Padding Policy for EDNS(0)'
  (draft-ietf-dprive-padding-policy-06.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-padding-policy/

Technical Summary

   RFC 7830 specifies the EDNS(0) 'Padding' option, but does not specify
   the actual padding length for specific applications.  This memo lists
   the possible options ("Padding Policies"), discusses implications of
   each of these options, and provides a recommended (experimental)
   option.

Working Group Summary:

The WG process for this document was smooth and well-supported. There
have been involved discussions, but the consensus for the final content
of this document is strong.

Document Quality:

The document is driven by empirical research carried out by Daniel K.
Gillmor to determine potential padding strategies for encrypted DNS
traffic. Several WG participants have indicated a desire to begin
experimentation with the recommended padding strategy.

Personnel:

Document Shepherd is Brian Haberman.
Responsible Area Director is Terry Manderson.