Subject: Protocol Action: 'High level guidance for the meeting policy of the IETF' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 09:16:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'High level guidance for the meeting policy of the IETF'
  (draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy-07.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Meeting Venue Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy/

Technical Summary

The IETF currently strives to have a 1-1-1-* meeting policy, the goal
of which is where to distribute meeting locations equally between
North America, Europe, and Asia. This meeting rotation is aimed at
distributing the travel pain for IETF participants who physically
attend meetings and the time zone pain for those who participate
remotely.  This policy has neither been defined precisely nor
documented in an IETF consensus document.  This document is meant to
serve as a consensus-backed statement of this policy published as
a BCP.

Working Group Summary

There was relatively little discussion on this draft. It progressed
slowly but without much debate or heated discussion. There were only
minor changes to the draft. These were based on working group
discussion and consensus.  The most noteworthy items hashed out in the
working group were:
1) Consensus to leave the terms North America, Europe, and Asia vague
   and subject to interpretation
2) Consensus that maximizing in person attendance at meetings was not
   a goal of the policy
3) Consensus to use community consent as the bar for pursuing an
   exploratory meeting

Document Quality

The document went through a few rounds of light review, both before
being adopted as a working group document as well as once adopted. All
comments resulting from these reviews were addressed.

Personnel

Charles Eckel  is the shepherd.  
Alissa Cooper  is the responsible AD.