Subject: Protocol Action: 'BGP RPKI-Based Origin Validation Clarifications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidrops-ov-clarify-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:55:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BGP RPKI-Based Origin Validation Clarifications'
  (draft-ietf-sidrops-ov-clarify-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIDR Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-ov-clarify/

Technical Summary

   Deployment of RPKI-based BGP origin validation is hampered by, among
   other things, vendor mis-implementations in two critical areas: which
   routes are validated and whether policy is applied when not specified
   by configuration.  This document is meant to clarify possible
   misunderstandings causing those mis-implementations; and thus updates
   RFC6811 by clarifying that all prefixes should be marked, and that
   policy must not be applied without operator configuration"

Working Group Summary

   From the Document Shepherd report:
   'WG discussion was solid, fun and filled with non-tears.'
    :-)

Document Quality

   The document is very clear and easy to understand, even for those unfamiliar with the technology.
   It simply clarifies things.

Personnel

   Chris Morrow is the DS
   Warren Kumari is RAD!