Subject: RFC 8436 on Update to IANA Registration Procedures for Pool 3 Values in the Differentiated Services Field Codepoints (DSCP) Registry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8436

        Title:      Update to IANA Registration Procedures for 
                    Pool 3 Values in the Differentiated Services 
                    Field Codepoints (DSCP) Registry 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13999
        Updates:    RFC 2474

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8436

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8436

The Differentiated Services (Diffserv) architecture specifies use of
the DS field in the IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers to carry one of 64
distinct differentiated services field codepoint (DSCP) values.  The
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) maintains a registry of
assigned DSCP values.

This update to RFC 2474 changes the IANA registration policy for Pool
3 of the registry (i.e., DSCP values of the form xxxx01) to Standards
Action, i.e., values are assigned through a Standards Track or Best
Current Practice RFC.  The update also removes permission for
experimental and local use of the codepoints that form Pool 3 of the
DSCP registry; Pool 2 Codepoints (i.e., DSCP values of the form
xxxx11) remain available for these purposes.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC