Subject: Protocol Action: 'DNS Queries over HTTPS (DoH)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 09:34:21 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS Queries over HTTPS (DoH)'
  (draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the DNS Over HTTPS Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/

Technical Summary

  This document defines a protocol for performing DNS Queries over an HTTPS
  connection.  This protocol offers similar security benefits to DNS-over-TLS
  (RFC 7858), and also allows integration with HTTP-based systems and
  services.

Working Group Summary

  The document has been reviewed thoroughly within the working group,
  including extensive commentary by noted standards experts and large-scale
  implementors in DNS and HTTP.

Document Quality

  Implementation has begun, with a large-scale deployment by Cloudflare,
  experiments by Mozilla and Google, and many independent implementations:
  doh-proxy (an IETF hackathon output), Go DNS, dnscrypt-proxy,
  doh-php-client, jDnsProxy, rust-doh, and dns-over-https.  The maintainers of
  Stubby, CURL, and PowerDNS’s dnsdist have developed working prototypes.

  This draft has a single IANA consideration (defining the
  “application/dns-message” media type).  There has been extensive review of
  this media type.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Benjamin Schwartz <[email-masked]> 
  The responsible area director is Adam Roach <[email-masked]>