Subject: Last Call: <draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-03.txt> (Securing Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based Messaging with S/MIME) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:18:37 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Securing Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) based
Messaging with S/MIME'
  <draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-10-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Mobile messaging applications used with the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) commonly use some combination of the SIP MESSAGE
   method and the Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP).  While these
   provide mechanisms for hop-by-hop security, neither natively provides
   end-to-end protection.  This document offers guidance on how to
   provide end-to-end authentication, integrity protection, and
   confidentiality using the Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail
   Extensions (S/MIME).  It updates and provides clarifications for RFC
   3261, RFC 3428, and RFC 4975.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.