Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext-04.txt> (Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework Extension to Sliding Window Codes) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 06:51:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Forward Error Correction (FEC)
Framework Extension to Sliding Window
   Codes'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-09-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 6363 describes a framework for using Forward Error Correction
   (FEC) codes to provide protection against packet loss.  The framework
   supports applying FEC to arbitrary packet flows over unreliable
   transport and is primarily intended for real-time, or streaming,
   media.  However FECFRAME as per RFC 6363 is restricted to block FEC
   codes.  The present document extends FECFRAME to support FEC Codes
   based on a sliding encoding window, in addition to Block FEC Codes,
   in a backward compatible way.  During multicast/broadcast real-time
   content delivery, the use of sliding window codes significantly
   improves robustness in harsh environments, with less repair traffic
   and lower FEC-related added latency.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.