Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community-07.txt> (Export BGP community information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 06:51:45 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document: - 'Export BGP
community information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)'
  <draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-09-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   By introducing new Information Elements (IEs), this draft extends the
   existing BGP related IEs to enable IPFIX [RFC7011] to export the BGP
   community information, including the information of BGP standard
   community [RFC1997], BGP extended community [RFC4360], and BGP large
   community [RFC8092].  Network traffic information can then be
   accumulated and analysed at the BGP community granularity, which
   represents the traffic of different kinds of customers, services, or
   geographical regions according to the network operator's BGP
   community planning.  Network traffic information at the BGP community
   granularity is useful for network traffic analysis and engineering.

   To clarify, no new BGP community attribute is defined in this
   document and this document has no purpose to replace BGP Monitoring
   Protocol (BMP) defined in RFC7854.  The IEs introduced in this
   document are used by IPFIX together with other IEs to facilitate the
   IPFIX collector analyzing the network traffic at the BGP community
   granularity without running the heavy BGP protocol.  When needed, the
   mediator or collector can use the IEs introduced in this document to
   report the BGP community related traffic flow information it gets
   either from exporters or through local correlation to other IPFIX
   devices.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2964/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3165/