Subject: RFC 8458 on Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 17:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8458

        Title:      Using National Bibliography Numbers as 
                    Uniform Resource Names 
        Author:     J. Hakala
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41283
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3188

        I-D Tag:    draft-hakala-urn-nbn-rfc3188bis-02.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8458

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8458

National Bibliography Numbers (NBNs) are used by national libraries
and other organizations in order to identify resources in their
collections.  NBNs are usually applied to resources that are not
catered for by established (standard) identifier systems such as
International Standard Book Number (ISBN).

A Uniform Resource Name (URN) namespace for NBNs was established in
2001 in RFC 3188.  Since then, a number of European national
libraries have implemented URN:NBN-based systems.

This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
within the updated URN framework.  A revised namespace registration
(version 4) compliant to RFC 8141 is included.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC