Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-04.txt> (Application Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cross-Domain Server Discovery) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 06:28:04 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document: - 'Application
Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cross-Domain Server
   Discovery'
  <draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-11-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   provide guidance to applications that have to select one or several
   hosts from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired
   resource.  ALTO is realized by a client-server protocol.  Before an
   ALTO client can ask for guidance it needs to discover one or more
   ALTO servers that can provide suitable guidance.

   In some deployment scenarios, in particular if the information about
   the network topology is partitioned and distributed over several ALTO
   servers, it may be needed to discover an ALTO server outside of the
   own network domain, in order to get appropriate guidance.  This
   document details applicable scenarios, itemizes requirements, and
   specifies a procedure for ALTO cross-domain server discovery.

   Technically, the procedure specified in this document takes one
   IP address or prefix and a U-NAPTR Service Parameter (typically,
   "ALTO:https") as parameters.  It performs DNS lookups (for NAPTR
   resource records in the in-addr.arpa. or ip6.arpa. tree) and returns
   one or more URI(s) of information resources related to that IP
   address or prefix.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.