Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-06.txt> (Signaling RSVP-TE tunnels on a shared MPLS forwarding plane) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:43:33 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document: - 'Signaling RSVP-TE tunnels on a
shared MPLS forwarding plane'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-12-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   As the scale of MPLS RSVP-TE networks has grown, so the number of
   Label Switched Paths (LSPs) supported by individual network elements
   has increased.  Various implementation recommendations have been
   proposed to manage the resulting increase in control plane state.

   However, those changes have had no effect on the number of labels
   that a transit Label Switching Router (LSR) has to support in the
   forwarding plane.  That number is governed by the number of LSPs
   transiting or terminated at the LSR and is directly related to the
   total LSP state in the control plane.

   This document defines a mechanism to prevent the maximum size of the
   label space limit on an LSR from being a constraint to control plane
   scaling on that node.  It introduces the notion of pre-installed 'per
   Traffic Engineering (TE) link labels' that can be shared by MPLS
   RSVP-TE LSPs that traverse these TE links.  This approach
   significantly reduces the forwarding plane state required to support
   a large number of LSPs.  This couples the feature benefits of the
   RSVP-TE control plane with the simplicity of the Segment Routing MPLS
   forwarding plane.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2976/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3265/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3266/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3036/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2997/