Subject: Call for Comment: <draft-iab-path-signals-02> (Transport Protocol Path Signals)

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 13:55:23 -0800

This is an announcement of an IETF-wide Call for Comment on 
draft-iab-path-signals-02.

The document is being considered for publication as an Informational RFC 
within the IAB stream, and is available for inspection at:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-path-signals/>

The Call for Comment will last until 2018-12-25. Please send comments to
[email-masked] and [email-masked].

Abstract

   This document discusses the nature of signals seen by on-path
   elements examining transport protocols, contrasting implicit and
   explicit signals.  For example, TCP's state mechanics uses a series
   of well-known messages that are exchanged in the clear.  Because
   these are visible to network elements on the path between the two
   nodes setting up the transport connection, they are often used as
   signals by those network elements.  In transports that do not
   exchange these messages in the clear, on-path network elements lack
   those signals.  Often, the removal of those signals is intended by
   those moving the messages to confidential channels.  Where the
   endpoints desire that network elements along the path receive these
   signals, this document recommends explicit signals be used.