Subject: RFC 8501 on Reverse DNS in IPv6 for Internet Service Providers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 07:34:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8501

        Title:      Reverse DNS in IPv6 for 
                    Internet Service Providers 
        Author:     L. Howard
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 34189
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-isp-ip6rdns-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8501

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8501

In IPv4, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) commonly provide
IN-ADDR.ARPA information for their customers by prepopulating the zone
with one PTR record for every available address.  This practice does
not scale in IPv6.  This document analyzes different approaches and
considerations for ISPs in managing the IP6.ARPA zone.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC