Subject: RFC 8497 on Marking SIP Messages to Be Logged

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:30:08 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8497

        Title:      Marking SIP Messages to Be Logged 
        Author:     P. Dawes,
                    C. Arunachalam
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      46
        Characters: 106572
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8497

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8497

SIP networks use signaling monitoring tools to diagnose user-reported
problems and to perform regression testing if network or user agent
(UA) software is upgraded.  As networks grow and become
interconnected, including connection via transit networks, it becomes
impractical to predict the path that SIP signaling will take between
user agents and therefore impractical to monitor SIP signaling end to
end.

This document describes an indicator for the SIP protocol that can be
used to mark signaling as being of interest to logging.  Such marking
will typically be applied as part of network testing controlled by
the network operator and is not used in normal user agent signaling.
Operators of all networks on the signaling path can agree to carry
such marking end to end, including the originating and terminating
SIP user agents, even if a session originates and terminates in
different networks.

This document is a product of the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC