Subject: Protocol Action: 'DNS Attrleaf Changes: Fixing Specifications with Underscored Node Name Use' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:15:20 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS Attrleaf Changes: Fixing Specifications with Underscored Node Name
   Use'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-07.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix/

Technical Summary

  Original uses of an underscore character as a domain node name
   prefix, which creates a space for constrained interpretation of
   resource records, were specified without the benefit of an IANA
   registry.  This produced an entirely uncoordinated set of name-
   creation activities, all drawing from the same namespace.  A registry
   now has been defined.  However the existing specifications that use
   underscore naming need to be modified, to be in line with the new
   registry.  This document specifies those changes.  The changes
   preserve existing software and operational practice, while adapting
   the specifications for those practices to the newer underscore
   registry model.

Working Group Summary

   This document has a very long history, with multiple, extended
   periods of hiatus.  It's recent activity received substantial
   working group participant commentary that produced substantial
   changes to the design of the proposed registry.  The latest rounds
   comments were primarily about minor editorial points or
   clarification of implications, rather than changes to the design.
   Multiple participants have commented on the work, over time and
   recently.  They are cited in the document Acknowledgements
   section. 

  WG criticism of the original design approach produced at least two major
   revisions to the design.  

Document Quality

   This work is explicitly designed to require no software or
   operational changes.  Changes are restricted to the
   relevant IETF documents, to use standard registry processes. 

   There are no other reviewers that merit special mentioning.

Personnel

   Benno Overeinder is Document Shepherd.
   Warren Kumari is RAD :-)