Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06.txt> (Recommendations on the Filtering of IPv6 Packets Containing IPv6 Extension Headers) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:30:59 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Operational Security Capabilities
for IP Network Infrastructure WG (opsec) to consider the following document:
- 'Recommendations on the Filtering of IPv6 Packets Containing IPv6
   Extension Headers'
  <draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-12-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Note: 
The WGLC was sent to OpSec, 6MAN and V6OPS to get wider review:
 https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/v6ops/MvzKKTYCDtWVtlIGxb6OfQlUats

Abstract

   It is common operator practice to mitigate security risks by
   enforcing appropriate packet filtering.  This document analyzes both
   the general security implications of IPv6 Extension Headers and the
   specific security implications of each Extension Header and Option
   type.  Additionally, it discusses the operational and
   interoperability implications of discarding packets based on the IPv6
   Extension Headers and IPv6 options they contain.  Finally, it
   provides advice on the filtering of such IPv6 packets at transit
   routers for traffic *not* directed to them, for those cases in which
   such filtering is deemed as necessary.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.