Subject: Protocol Action: 'Updates to the Fast Reroute Procedures for Co-routed Associated Bidirectional Label Switched Paths (LSPs)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-teas-assoc-corouted-bidir-frr-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 09:24:51 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Updates to the Fast Reroute Procedures for Co-routed Associated
   Bidirectional Label Switched Paths (LSPs)'
  (draft-ietf-teas-assoc-corouted-bidir-frr-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-assoc-corouted-bidir-frr/

Technical Summary

Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) association signaling can be
used to bind two unidirectional LSPs into an associated bidirectional
LSP.  When an associated bidirectional LSP is co-routed, the reverse
LSP follows the same path as its forward LSP.  This document updates
the Fast Reroute (FRR) procedures defined in RFC 4090 to support both
single-sided and double-sided provisioned associated bidirectional
LSPs.  This document also updates the procedure for associating two
reverse LSPs defined in RFC 7551 to support co-routed bidirectional
LSPs.  The FRR procedures can ensure that for the co-routed LSPs,
traffic flows on co-routed paths in the forward and reverse
directions after a failure event.

Working Group Summary

 The progress of the document through the WG has been smooth.

Document Quality

The base (G)MPLS RSVP protocol has been implemented. The procedures
discussed in this document are compatible with earlier implementations.
While there have been no public statements on implementation, the 
authors are from multiple vendors, and implementation is expected.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Vishnu Pavan Beeram
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard