Subject: RFC 8415 on Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:46:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8415

        Title:      Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
                    (DHCPv6) 
        Author:     T. Mrugalski,
                    M. Siodelski,
                    B. Volz,
                    A. Yourtchenko,
                    M. Richardson,
                    S. Jiang,
                    T. Lemon,
                    T. Winters
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      154
        Characters: 370298
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3315, RFC 3633, RFC 3736, RFC 4242, RFC 7083, 
                    RFC 7283, RFC 7550

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-rfc3315bis-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8415

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8415

This document describes the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for
IPv6 (DHCPv6): an extensible mechanism for configuring nodes with
network configuration parameters, IP addresses, and prefixes.
Parameters can be provided statelessly, or in combination with
stateful assignment of one or more IPv6 addresses and/or IPv6
prefixes.  DHCPv6 can operate either in place of or in addition to
stateless address autoconfiguration (SLAAC).

This document updates the text from RFC 3315 (the original DHCPv6
specification) and incorporates prefix delegation (RFC 3633),
stateless DHCPv6 (RFC 3736), an option to specify an upper bound for
how long a client should wait before refreshing information (RFC
4242), a mechanism for throttling DHCPv6 clients when DHCPv6 service
is not available (RFC 7083), and relay agent handling of unknown
messages (RFC 7283).  In addition, this document clarifies the
interactions between models of operation (RFC 7550).  As such, this
document obsoletes RFC 3315, RFC 3633, RFC 3736, RFC 4242, RFC 7083,
RFC 7283, and RFC 7550.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC