Subject: Document Action: 'Expect-CT Extension for HTTP' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-httpbis-expect-ct-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 07:40:44 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Expect-CT Extension for HTTP'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-expect-ct-08.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-expect-ct/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new HTTP header field, named Expect-CT, that allows web host operators
   to instruct user agents to expect valid Signed Certificate Timestamps (SCTs) to be served on
   connections to these hosts. Expect-CT allows web host operators to discover misconfigurations in
   their Certificate Transparency deployments and ensure that misissued certificates accepted by UAs
   are discoverable in Certificate Transparency logs.

Working Group Summary

   This document did not see a tremendous amount of discussion after the Working Group agreed
   to adopt it, but did see a number of reviews from within the community. Given its intended
   status as Experimental, we believe this is appropriate.

Document Quality

   Chrome has shipped an implementation for about 1 year.

Personnel

   Mark Nottingham is the document shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.