Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06.txt> (Framework for EVPN Designated Forwarder Election Extensibility) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:57:08 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'Framework for EVPN Designated Forwarder
Election Extensibility'
  <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-12-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Designated Forwarder (DF) in EVPN networks is the Provider Edge
   (PE) router responsible for sending broadcast, unknown unicast and
   multicast (BUM) traffic to a multi-homed Customer Equipment (CE)
   device, on a given VLAN on a particular Ethernet Segment (ES). The DF
   is selected out of a list of candidate PEs that advertise the same
   Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN network. By default,
   EVPN uses a DF Election algorithm referred to as "Service Carving"
   and it is based on a modulus function (V mod N) that takes the number
   of PEs in the ES (N) and the VLAN value (V) as input. This default DF
   Election algorithm has some inefficiencies that this document
   addresses by defining a new DF Election algorithm and a capability to
   influence the DF Election result for a VLAN, depending on the state
   of the associated Attachment Circuit (AC). In addition, this document
   creates a registry with IANA, for future DF Election Algorithms and
   Capabilities. It also presents a formal definition and clarification
   of the DF Election Finite State Machine.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.