Subject: Protocol Action: 'Notification Message support for BGP Graceful Restart' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 07:16:37 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Notification Message support for BGP Graceful Restart'
  (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification/

Technical Summary

   The BGP Graceful Restart mechanism defined in RFC 4724 limits the
   usage of BGP Graceful Restart to BGP protocol messages other than a
   BGP NOTIFICATION message.  This document updates RFC 4724 by defining
   an extension that permits the Graceful Restart procedures to be
   performed when the BGP speaker receives a BGP NOTIFICATION Message or
   the Hold Time expires.  This document also defines a new BGP
   NOTIFICATION Cease Error subcode whose effect is to request a full
   session restart instead of a Graceful Restart.

Working Group Summary

  IDR has reviewed and discussed this document over 3 years (2014-2017).   
  WG has reached consensus after several revisions.

Document Quality

   There are two implementations of this document reported.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Jie Dong
  Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana