Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-payload-flexible-fec-scheme-16.txt> (RTP Payload Format for Flexible Forward Error Correction (FEC)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 15:55:17 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Payloads WG
(payload) to consider the following document: - 'RTP Payload Format for
Flexible Forward Error Correction (FEC)'
  <draft-ietf-payload-flexible-fec-scheme-16.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-02-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines new RTP payload formats for the Forward Error
   Correction (FEC) packets that are generated by the non-interleaved
   and interleaved parity codes from source media encapsulated in RTP.
   These parity codes are systematic codes, where a number of FEC repair
   packets are generated from a set of source packets from one or more
   source RTP streams.  These FEC repair packets are sent in a
   redundancy RTP stream separate from the source RTP stream(s) that
   carries the source packets.  RTP source packets that were lost in
   transmission can be reconstructed using the source and repair packets
   that were received.  The non-interleaved and interleaved parity codes
   which are defined in this specification offer a good protection
   against random and bursty packet losses, respectively, at a cost of
   complexity.  The RTP payload formats that are defined in this
   document address scalability issues experienced with the earlier
   specifications, and offer several improvements.  Due to these
   changes, the new payload formats are not backward compatible with
   earlier specifications, but endpoints that do not implement this
   specification can still work by simply ignoring the FEC repair
   packets.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-flexible-fec-scheme/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-flexible-fec-scheme/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2794/