Subject: WG Review: GitHub Integration and Tooling (git)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 08:05:55 -0800

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the General Area. The IESG has not made
any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the
IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2019-02-04.

GitHub Integration and Tooling (git)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

General Area Directors:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-and-github
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ietf-and-github/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/git/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-git/

Many IETF working groups use external code repository services, primarily
GitHub, in managing their work. Individual working groups, while continuing
to operate within IETF guidelines for working group activity, have developed
their own policies and practices for how they use these services. These
policies and practices cover aspects such as: managing discussion between
working group mailing lists and GitHub issues and pull requests; how text
contributions are expected to be made; labeling and naming conventions;
maintaining readable draft snapshots; using tooling and automation; informing
participants about IETF policies; and others.

The GitHub Integration and Tooling (GIT) working group will select a set of
such practices and document policies that support those practices. The
policies will each detail how work is conducted by working groups that opt to
follow the work practice. The goal is to provide both process and tooling
support for working groups that choose to adopt the practices.

The documents will not alter the Internet Standards Process (BCP 9), they
will describe how to work within it. Whether working groups choose to use
GitHub or the documented policies to support their work will remain entirely
at their discretion.

The working group may also discuss tooling requirements in support of GitHub
use. Decisions about implementing specific tooling needs will be undertaken
by the IETF Tools Team in consultation with working group participants and
other interested contributors.

Milestones:

  Aug 2019 - Work practice description and policy document(s) sent to IESG
  for publication as BCP