Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-07.txt> (A Lower Effort Per-Hop Behavior (LE PHB)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:43:24 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'A Lower Effort Per-Hop
Behavior (LE PHB)'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-02-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies properties and characteristics of a Lower
   Effort (LE) per-hop behavior (PHB).  The primary objective of this LE
   PHB is to protect best-effort (BE) traffic (packets forwarded with
   the default PHB) from LE traffic in congestion situations, i.e., when
   resources become scarce, best-effort traffic has precedence over LE
   traffic and may preempt it.  Alternatively, packets forwarded by the
   LE PHB can be associated with a scavenger service class, i.e., they
   scavenge otherwise unused resources only.  There are numerous uses
   for this PHB, e.g., for background traffic of low precedence, such as
   bulk data transfers with low priority in time, non time-critical
   backups, larger software updates, web search engines while gathering
   information from web servers and so on.  This document recommends a
   standard DSCP value for the LE PHB.  This specification obsoletes RFC
   3662 and updates the DSCP recommended in RFC 4594 and RFC 8325 to use
   the DSCP assigned in this specification.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-le-phb/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc2475: An Architecture for Differentiated Services (Informational - IETF stream)