Subject: Protocol Action: 'Signaling RSVP-TE tunnels on a shared MPLS forwarding plane' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:03:26 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Signaling RSVP-TE tunnels on a shared MPLS forwarding plane'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels/

Technical Summary

This document defines a mechanism to prevent the maximum size of the
label space limit on an LSR from being a constraint to control plane
scaling on that node.  It introduces the notion of pre-installed 'per
Traffic Engineering (TE) link labels' that can be shared by MPLS
RSVP-TE LSPs that traverse these TE links.  This approach
significantly reduces the forwarding plane state required to support
a large number of LSPs.  This couples the feature benefits of the
RSVP-TE control plane with the simplicity of the Segment Routing MPLS
forwarding plane.

Working Group Summary

No such controversies. The WG process has been very
straightforward. 

Document Quality

We know of implementation plans and implementations, this was the
reason to allocate some of the code points by early allocation.
However we have no detailed information. We have started an
implementation poll and will update the Write-Up when we receive
more information.

No expert reviews necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Loa Andersson
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard