Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-07.txt> (Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 06:13:13 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the SIP Best-practice Recommendations
Against Network Dangers to privacY WG (sipbrandy) to consider the following
document: - 'Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP'
  <draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-07.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-02-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Although the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) includes a suite of
   security services that has been expanded by numerous specifications
   over the years, there is no single place that explains how to use SIP
   to establish confidential media sessions.  Additionally, existing
   mechanisms have some feature gaps that need to be identified and
   resolved in order for them to address the pervasive monitoring threat
   model.  This specification describes best practices for negotiating
   confidential media with SIP, including both comprehensive protection
   solutions which bind the media to SIP-layer identities as well as
   opportunistic security solutions.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.