Subject: Protocol Action: 'An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:25:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc/

Technical Summary

This document describes how Service Function Chaining can be achieved
in an MPLS network by means of a logical representation of the NSH in
an MPLS label stack.  That is, the NSH is not used, but the fields of
the NSH are mapped to fields in the MPLS label stack.  It does not
deprecate or replace the NSH, but acknowledges that there may be a
need for an interim deployment of SFC functionality in brownfield
networks.

Working Group Summary

The processing of this document have been very smooth and the
support from the working group is strong.

Document Quality

We do not currently have any definite information on existing 
implementations, an Implementations poll has been started and 
the write-up will be updated as soon as we get new information.

There has been indications from vendors that they intend to 
implement this specification.

 We also have a strong interest from operators to have this 
  implemented.

  No special types of reviews is necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Loa Andersson
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard