Subject: Protocol Action: 'PCEP Extensions for Segment Routing' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 08:58:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PCEP Extensions for Segment Routing'
  (draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing/

Technical Summary

Segment Routing (SR) enables any head-end node to select any path
without relying on a hop-by-hop signaling technique (e.g., LDP or
RSVP-TE).  It depends only on "segments" that are advertised by Link-
State Interior Gateway Protocols (IGPs).  A Segment Routed Path can
be derived from a variety of mechanisms, including an IGP Shortest
Path Tree (SPT), explicit configuration, or a Path Computation
Element (PCE).  This document specifies extensions to the Path
Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) that allow a
stateful PCE to compute and initiate Traffic Engineering (TE) paths,
as well as a PCC to request a path subject to certain constraints and
optimization criteria in SR networks.

Working Group Summary

No controversies. A 2nd WG LC was issued after the draft had a substantial
change after the 1st call. The shepherd review also led to simplification 
of text. The authors handled all comments raised. The consensus behind the 
document is good.

Document Quality

    There are several PCEP implementations supporting Segment Routing. This 
    includes commercial as well as open source implementations. There
    was also a discussion related to backward compatibility as related to 
    some implementations before RFC8408 was published.

    Substantial review was done by Adrian Farrel and Dhruv Dhody.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Dhruv Dhody
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard