Subject: Protocol Action: 'PASSporT SHAKEN Extension (SHAKEN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-stir-passport-shaken-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 03:55:44 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PASSporT SHAKEN Extension (SHAKEN)'
  (draft-ietf-stir-passport-shaken-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-passport-shaken/

Technical Summary

   This document extends PASSporT, which is a token object that conveys
   cryptographically-signed information about the participants involved
   in communications, to include information defined as part of the
   SHAKEN specification from ATIS (Alliance for Telecommunications
   Industry Solutions) and the SIP Forum IP-NNI Joint Task Force.  These
   extensions provide a level of confidence in the correctness of the
   originating identity for a telephone network that has communications
   coming from both STIR participating originating communications as
   well as communications that does not include STIR information.

Working Group Summary

  This document is a product of the STIR working group.
  No aspects of the document were particularly controversial.

Document Quality

  There are implementations of this document, and multiple
  governmental agencies have specified regulations calling for
  it deployment.

  JWT claims registration review was requested 18 Oct 2018.

Personnel

  Robert Sparks is the document shepherd.
  Adam Roach is the responsible area director.