Subject: Protocol Action: 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 03:05:10 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)'
  (draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-21.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-stunbis/

Technical Summary

   Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) is a protocol that
   serves as a tool for other protocols in dealing with Network
   Address Translator (NAT) traversal.  It can be used by an endpoint
   to determine the IP address and port allocated to it by a NAT.  It
   can also be used to check connectivity between two endpoints, and
   as a keep-alive protocol to maintain NAT bindings.  STUN works with
   many existing NATs, and does not require any special behavior from
   them.
 
   STUN is not a NAT traversal solution by itself.  Rather, it is a
   tool to be used in the context of a NAT traversal solution.
 
   In keeping with its tool nature, this specification defines an
   extensible packet format, defines operation over several transport
   protocols, and provides for two forms of authentication.

   This document obsoletes the original STUN specification RFC 5389.

Working Group Summary

  The working group had a strong consensus around this draft.

Document Quality

   Marc Petit-Huguenin reported that he has implemented this draft.

   The document quality is satisfactory.

   The draft has sections pertaining to security and DNS, and those are
   sufficiently reviewed.

Personnel

  Tolga Asveren is the document shepherd.  Spencer Dawkins is the
  responsible Area director.