Subject: BCP 222, RFC 8552 on Scoped Interpretation of DNS Resource Records through "Underscored" Naming of Attribute Leaves

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 16:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 222        
        RFC 8552

        Title:      Scoped Interpretation of DNS Resource Records 
                    through "Underscored" Naming of Attribute Leaves 
        Author:     D. Crocker
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 35306
        See Also:   BCP 222

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8552

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8552

Formally, any DNS Resource Record (RR) may occur under any domain
name.  However, some services use an operational convention for
defining specific interpretations of an RRset by locating the records
in a DNS branch under the parent domain to which the RRset actually
applies.  The top of this subordinate branch is defined by a naming
convention that uses a reserved node name, which begins with the
underscore character (e.g., "_name").  The underscored naming
construct defines a semantic scope for DNS record types that are
associated with the parent domain above the underscored branch.  This
specification explores the nature of this DNS usage and defines the
"Underscored and Globally Scoped DNS Node Names" registry with IANA.
The purpose of this registry is to avoid collisions resulting from
the use of the same underscored name for different services.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC