Subject: RFC 8490 on DNS Stateful Operations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8490

        Title:      DNS Stateful Operations 
        Author:     R. Bellis,
                    S. Cheshire,
                    J. Dickinson,
                    S. Dickinson,
                    T. Lemon,
                    T. Pusateri
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      64
        Characters: 149030
        Updates:    RFC 1035, RFC 7766

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-session-signal-20.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8490

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8490

This document defines a new DNS OPCODE for DNS Stateful Operations
(DSO).  DSO messages communicate operations within persistent
stateful sessions using Type Length Value (TLV) syntax.  Three TLVs
are defined that manage session timeouts, termination, and encryption
padding, and a framework is defined for extensions to enable new
stateful operations.  This document updates RFC 1035 by adding a new
DNS header OPCODE that has both different message semantics and a new
result code.  This document updates RFC 7766 by redefining a session,
providing new guidance on connection reuse, and providing a new
mechanism for handling session idle timeouts.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC