Subject: Protocol Action: 'Well-Known Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)' to Proposed Standard (draft-nottingham-rfc5785bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:07:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Well-Known Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)'
  (draft-nottingham-rfc5785bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-rfc5785bis/

Technical Summary

   This document updates two RFCs defining the /.well-known/
   path for URLs in HTTP (RFC 5785) and thewebsocketprotocol
   (RFC 8307).  The only meaningful change is to relax
   some of the constraints on registrations to allow for a broader set of uses.
   For instance, service discovery is now expressly permitted.

   There are also a number of editorial improvements and an expansion
   of the security considerations.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG document.

   The main change in this document is the result of some
   contention about the intent of the mechanism and some
   lengthy discussions in plenary (e.g.,
   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/minutes-101-dispatch-01>).
   A mailing list for discussing this was established after that
   most recent discussion:
   <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/http-well-known/>.

Document Quality

   This is a bis document for a commonly used registry.
   The goal of the document is to relax and clarify registration
   requirements.

Personnel

   Shepherd: Martin Thomson
   Responsible AD: Alexey Melnikov

RFC Editor Note

In section 3.1, 10th para, replace the last sentence:

OLD:
   The Experts can change a provisional entry's status to
   permanent at any time.

NEW:
   The Experts can change a provisional entry's status to
   permanent; in doing so, the Experts should consider how widely used
   a value is, and consult the community beforehand.