Subject: BCP 222, RFC 8553 on DNS Attrleaf Changes: Fixing Specifications That Use Underscored Node Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 16:52:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 222        
        RFC 8553

        Title:      DNS Attrleaf Changes: Fixing Specifications 
                    That Use Underscored Node Names 
        Author:     D. Crocker
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 33458
        Updates:    RFC 2782, RFC 3263, RFC 3529, RFC 3620, 
                    RFC 3832, RFC 3887, RFC 3958, RFC 4120, 
                    RFC 4227, RFC 4386, RFC 4387, RFC 4976, 
                    RFC 5026, RFC 5328, RFC 5389, RFC 5415, 
                    RFC 5518, RFC 5555, RFC 5617, RFC 5679, 
                    RFC 5766, RFC 5780, RFC 5804, RFC 5864, 
                    RFC 5928, RFC 6120, RFC 6186, RFC 6376,
                    RFC 6733, RFC 6763, RFC 7208, RFC 7489, 
                    RFC 8145
        See Also:   BCP 222

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-fix-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8553

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8553

Using an underscore for a prefix creates a space for constrained
interoperation of resource records.  Original uses of an underscore
character as a domain node name prefix were specified without the
benefit of an IANA registry.  This produced an entirely uncoordinated
set of name-creation activities, all drawing from the same namespace.
A registry for these names has now been defined by RFC 8552.
However, the existing specifications that use underscored naming need
to be modified in order to be in line with the new registry.  This
document specifies those changes.  The changes preserve existing
software and operational practice, while adapting the specifications
for those practices to the newer underscore registry model.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC