Subject: Protocol Action: 'JMAP (JSON Meta Application Protocol) for Mail' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jmap-mail-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:27:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JMAP (JSON Meta Application Protocol) for Mail'
  (draft-ietf-jmap-mail-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JSON Mail Access Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-mail/

Technical Summary

  JMAP-Mail specifies a data model for synchronising email data
  with a server using the core protocol defined in
  draft-ietf-jmap-core.

  JMAP-Mail is the first user of the generic mechanism described
  in the core protocol.

Working Group Summary

  The initial proposal for JMAP-Mail included a special "Outbox"
  folder for sending mail.  This has been changed to use a new
  object called "EmailSubmission" instead - which has been tested
  and is in use at FastMail.

  The working group also reworked the data model considerably.
  This data model includes a simplified set of views into the full
  MIME data structure to allow easier client development, while
  still giving the full power of the structure where required.

  This work has been done concurrently with the EXTRA working group
  which is extending RFC3501 (IMAP4), with an eye to keeping both
  email access protocols compatible with each other.

Document Quality

  The only known implementations of the latest protocol have been
  done by FastMail staff, but there exist multiple implementations
  of earlier drafts, and their authors have read the current
  drafts - they're just waiting until publication to update to the
  latest version.  Both client and server implementations are
  available as open-source.

  The JMAP working group is small, but there have been multiple
  people who have read the document carefully - Chris Newman who
  is now listed as an author gave particularly detailed reviews.

  The authors of the various parts of the FastMail stack that are
  now implemented on this spec, and of the two test suites covering
  the spec, have also found multiple issues in the last 6 months
  which have fed back into the final document.

  Multiple email server vendors have indicated their intention to
  either add JMAP to their existing servers, or to build new
  services on top of the JMAP data model.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Bron Gondwana and the Responsible
  Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.