Subject: Document Action: 'Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Open Threat Signaling Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dots-requirements-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 09:27:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Open Threat Signaling
   Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-dots-requirements-22.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the DDoS Open Threat Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-requirements/

Technical Summary

This document defines the requirements for the Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) protocols enabling coordinated response to DDoS attacks. The working group has the consensus to publish it as an informational RFC since it is a requirements draft.

Working Group Summary

This document has been extensively reviewed and discussed within the working
group by mailing list and github, and all technical issues raised have been
resolved, most of them are before the -10 version.  After long term discussion
among the WG and enough iterations of updates, the draft is mature enough and
there is strong consensus in the WG to advance to publication.

Document Quality

The co-authors are from leading vendors in DDoS protection industry with
extensive experience with the related technologies and implementations; they
are also the core authors of the DOTS protocol WG drafts, which guarantees
consistency among the requirements draft with them.  This draft covers
different categories of requirements for: general, signal channel, data
channel, security and data model. The signal channel requirements are the most
important and complex, as it works during the attack time and thus requires the
highest resilience, efficiency and fault tolerance. Specially, the heartbeat
handling (SIG-004) and NAT traversal (SIG-010) issues are considered highly
complicated as they include many corner cases, and are discussed mostly in the
WG. So, careful review of them is needed.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Liang Xia. The responsible Area Director is Benjamin Kaduk.