Subject: RFC 8584 on Framework for Ethernet VPN Designated Forwarder Election Extensibility

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 21:12:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8584

        Title:      Framework for Ethernet VPN Designated 
                    Forwarder Election Extensibility 
        Author:     J. Rabadan, Ed.,
                    S. Mohanty, Ed.,
                    A. Sajassi, 
                    J. Drake,
                    K. Nagaraj, 
                    S. Sathappan
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 69774
        Updates:    RFC 7432

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8584

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8584

An alternative to the default Designated Forwarder (DF) selection
algorithm in Ethernet VPNs (EVPNs) is defined.  The DF is the
Provider Edge (PE) router responsible for sending Broadcast, Unknown
Unicast, and Multicast (BUM) traffic to a multihomed Customer Edge
(CE) device on a given VLAN on a particular Ethernet Segment (ES).
In addition, the ability to influence the DF election result for a
VLAN based on the state of the associated Attachment Circuit (AC) is
specified.  This document clarifies the DF election Finite State
Machine in EVPN services.  Therefore, it updates the EVPN
specification (RFC 7432).

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC