Subject: Document Action: 'Applicability of the Path Computation Element (PCE) to the Abstraction and Control of TE Networks (ACTN)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-pce-applicability-actn-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 15:08:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Applicability of the Path Computation Element (PCE) to the Abstraction
   and Control of TE Networks (ACTN)'
  (draft-ietf-pce-applicability-actn-12.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-applicability-actn/

Technical Summary

Abstraction and Control of TE Networks (ACTN) refers to the set of
virtual network (VN) operations needed to orchestrate, control and
manage large-scale multi-domain TE networks so as to facilitate
network programmability, automation, efficient resource sharing, and
end-to-end virtual service aware connectivity and network function
virtualization services.

 The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a component, application, or
 network node that is capable of computing a network path or route
 based on a network graph and applying computational constraints.  The
 PCE serves requests from Path Computation Clients (PCCs) that
 communicate with it over a local API or using the Path Computation
 Element Communication Protocol (PCEP).

 This document examines the applicability of PCE to the ACTN
 framework.

Working Group Summary

The WG process has been smooth.
At one stage, this work caught up with (or got ahead of) the core ACTN
and it had to pause. But now RFCs 8453 and 8454 have been published, and
advancing this work is appropriate.
WG consensus was reasonable.
 
Document Quality

This is an Informational document, so implementation is moot. However,
there are known to be implementations (product and research) that use 
the ACTN architecture and contain PCE as key component.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Adrian Farrel
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard