Subject: RFC 8597 on Cooperating Layered Architecture for Software-Defined Networking (CLAS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 22:00:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8597

        Title:      Cooperating Layered Architecture for 
                    Software-Defined Networking (CLAS) 
        Author:     LM. Contreras,
                    CJ. Bernardos,
                    D. Lopez,
                    M. Boucadair,
                    P. Iovanna
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       May 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],                      
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 45229
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-contreras-layered-sdn-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8597

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8597

Software-Defined Networking (SDN) advocates for the separation of the
control plane from the data plane in the network nodes and its
logical centralization on one or a set of control entities.  Most of
the network and/or service intelligence is moved to these control
entities.  Typically, such an entity is seen as a compendium of
interacting control functions in a vertical, tightly integrated
fashion.  The relocation of the control functions from a number of
distributed network nodes to a logical central entity conceptually
places together a number of control capabilities with different
purposes.  As a consequence, the existing solutions do not provide a
clear separation between transport control and services that rely
upon transport capabilities.

This document describes an approach called Cooperating Layered
Architecture for Software-Defined Networking (CLAS), wherein the
control functions associated with transport are differentiated from
those related to services in such a way that they can be provided and
maintained independently and can follow their own evolution path.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC