Subject: RFC 8548 on Cryptographic Protection of TCP Streams (tcpcrypt)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8548

        Title:      Cryptographic Protection of TCP Streams (tcpcrypt) 
        Author:     A. Bittau,
                    D. Giffin,
                    M. Handley,
                    D. Mazieres,
                    Q. Slack,
                    E. Smith
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 75149
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpinc-tcpcrypt-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8548

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8548

This document specifies "tcpcrypt", a TCP encryption protocol
designed for use in conjunction with the TCP Encryption Negotiation
Option (TCP-ENO).  Tcpcrypt coexists with middleboxes by tolerating
resegmentation, NATs, and other manipulations of the TCP header.  The
protocol is self-contained and specifically tailored to TCP
implementations, which often reside in kernels or other environments
in which large external software dependencies can be undesirable.
Because the size of TCP options is limited, the protocol requires one
additional one-way message latency to perform key exchange before
application data can be transmitted.  However, the extra latency can
be avoided between two hosts that have recently established a
previous tcpcrypt connection.

This document is a product of the TCP Increased Security Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC