Subject: RFC 8599 on aPush Notification with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 17:10:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8599

        Title:      Push Notification with the Session 
                    Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     C. Holmberg,
                    M. Arnold
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 92823
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push-29.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8599

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8599

This document describes how a Push Notification Service (PNS) can be
used to wake a suspended Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent
(UA) with push notifications, and it also describes how the UA can
send binding-refresh REGISTER requests and receive incoming SIP
requests in an environment in which the UA may be suspended.  The
document defines new SIP URI parameters to exchange PNS information
between the UA and the SIP entity that will then request that push
notifications be sent to the UA.  It also defines the parameters to
trigger such push notification requests.  The document also defines
new feature-capability indicators that can be used to indicate
support of this mechanism.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC