Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipcore-rejected-08.txt> (A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Response Code for Rejected Calls) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 09:12:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Session Initiation Protocol Core WG
(sipcore) to consider the following document: - 'A Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) Response Code for Rejected Calls'
  <draft-ietf-sipcore-rejected-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-06-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines the 608 (Rejected) SIP response code.  This
   response code enables calling parties to learn that an intermediary
   rejected their call attempt.  No one will deliver, and thus no one
   will answer, the call.  As a 6xx code, the caller will be aware that
   future attempts to contact the same User Agent Server will likely
   fail.  The initial use case driving the need for the 608 response
   code is when the intermediary is an analytics engine.  In this case,
   the rejection is by a machine or other process.  This contrasts with
   the 607 (Unwanted) SIP response code, which a human at the target
   User Agent Server indicated the user did not want the call.  In some
   jurisdictions this distinction is important.  This document also
   defines the use of the Call-Info header field in 608 responses to
   enable rejected callers to contact entities that blocked their calls
   in error.  This provides a remediation mechanism for legal callers
   that find their calls blocked.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-rejected/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-rejected/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.