Subject: RFC 8617 on The Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 17:13:16 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8617

        Title:      The Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) Protocol
        Author:     K. Andersen, 
                    B. Long, Ed., 
                    S. Blank, Ed., 
                    M. Kucherawy, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 70573
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8617

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8617

The Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) protocol provides an
authenticated "chain of custody" for a message, allowing each entity
that handles the message to see what entities handled it before and
what the message's authentication assessment was at each step in the
handling.

ARC allows Internet Mail Handlers to attach assertions of message
authentication assessment to individual messages.  As messages
traverse ARC-enabled Internet Mail Handlers, additional ARC assertions
can be attached to messages to form ordered sets of ARC assertions
that represent the authentication assessment at each step of the
message-handling paths.

ARC-enabled Internet Mail Handlers can process sets of ARC assertions
to inform message disposition decisions, identify Internet Mail
Handlers that might break existing authentication mechanisms, and
convey original authentication assessments across trust boundaries.

This document is a product of the Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC