Subject: RFC 8636 on Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication in Kerberos (PKINIT) Algorithm Agility

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:34:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8636

        Title:      Public Key Cryptography for Initial 
                    Authentication in Kerberos (PKINIT) Algorithm Agility 
        Author:     L. Hornquist Astrand, 
                    L. Zhu,
                    M. Cullen,
                    G. Hudson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 43054
        Updates:    RFC 4556

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-kitten-pkinit-alg-agility-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8636

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8636

This document updates the Public Key Cryptography for Initial
Authentication in Kerberos (PKINIT) standard (RFC 4556) to remove
protocol structures tied to specific cryptographic algorithms.  The
PKINIT key derivation function is made negotiable, and the digest
algorithms for signing the pre-authentication data and the client's
X.509 certificates are made discoverable.

These changes provide preemptive protection against vulnerabilities
discovered in the future in any specific cryptographic algorithm and
allow incremental deployment of newer algorithms.

This document is a product of the Common Authentication Technology Next Generation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC