Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: tm-rid

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:55:26 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tm-rid/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tm-rid

Purpose:
To mitigate the risks presented by Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), the 
US FAA and other government agencies internationally soon will require, 
and various bodies are drafting standards for, remote identification. 
ASTM's proposed Broadcast Remote ID specifies how Unmanned Aircraft (UA) 
within Line Of Sight (LOS) of an observer can use a one-way RF broadcast 
to identify themselves and provide other latency-sensitive 
safety-critical information. ASTM's proposed Network Remote ID specifies 
how this same information can be obtained, starting from an observed 
UA's location, via the Internet. All such proposals hinge on a unique ID 
for each UA, a method whereby this ID (along with operator contact 
information etc.) can be registered, and a method by which a subsequent 
ID assertion can be authenticated by authorized parties.

Network RemoteID uses the Internet to map current aircraft locations to 
identities. To avoid being deceived by malicious spoofing of these 
critical mappings, we need strong authentication. To maintain privacy 
(from unauthorized eavesdroppers, not from legitimate authorities), we 
need strong encryption. HIP provides both of these. Thus, we propose to 
consolidate the 4-tuple of (UA ID, UA physical location, UA onboard host 
ID, UA onboard host logical location [IP address list]) to a 3-tuple by 
standardizing the HIP Host Identity Tag (HIT) as a 4^th RemoteID type. 
Depending upon the level of adoption by a given UAS operator, this can 
provide  3 levels of benefit:

1.
Use of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS, the world’s largest
distributed database, with well-established update procedures) as a
RemoteID registry

2.
Strong authentication of not only Network RemoteID but also
Broadcast RemoteID messages

3.
Rapid establishment of authenticated and encrypted communications
with any observed UA that is suitably equipped.

This list belong IETF area: INT

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.