Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk-05.txt> (Using Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:44:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Limited Additional Mechanisms for
PKIX and SMIME WG (lamps) to consider the following document: - 'Using
Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)'
  <draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-08-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The invention of a large-scale quantum computer would pose a serious
   challenge for the cryptographic algorithms that are widely deployed
   today.  The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) supports key transport
   and key agreement algorithms that could be broken by the invention of
   such a quantum computer.  By storing communications that are
   protected with the CMS today, someone could decrypt them in the
   future when a large-scale quantum computer becomes available.  Once
   quantum-secure key management algorithms are available, the CMS will
   be extended to support the new algorithms, if the existing syntax
   does not accommodate them.  In the near-term, this document describes
   a mechanism to protect today's communication from the future
   invention of a large-scale quantum computer by mixing the output of
   key transport and key agreement algorithms with a pre-shared key.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.