Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 14:58:25 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using Pre-Shared Key (PSK) in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-mix-with-psk/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a way of mixing a pre-shared key into the
   output of key transport and key agreement algorithms used as part
   of messages encoding using Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).
   This is a mechanism that can be used today that will protect against
   message decryption by future adversaries once cryptographically
   relevant quantum computers become available.  This bridges the gap
   until quantum-safe key transport and key agreement algorithms are
   available.

Working Group Summary

   Was there anything in the WG process that is worth noting?
   For example, was there controversy about particular points 
   or were there decisions where the consensus was
   particularly rough? 

Document Quality

   There is consensus for this document in the LAMPS WG.    The document shepherd, other LAMPS WG participants and GENART reviewed the
  document during WG/IETF Last Call.  All issues raised have been resolved.

Personnel

    Tim Hollebeek is the document shepherd.
    Roman Danyliw is the responsible area director.