Subject: WG Action: Conclusion of Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:10:29 -0700

The Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb) WG in the 
Applications and Real-Time Area  has concluded. The IESG contact persons 
are Adam Roach, Barry Leiba, and Alexey Melnikov.

The mailing list will remain open.

--

For those of you who like to flip to the end of a book:  with the entry 
of the final dependencies of its core work into the RFC Editor queue, 
the working group is closing.  The mailing list will remain open for
discussion, and any trailing documents will be processed by Adam as AD
sponsored or headed to DISPATCH.

For those of you who wish to take a journey, open your books to IETF 80, 
in Prague <https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/rtcweb.html>;; it's late 
March and Spring is in the air.  A large and plucky band of folks are 
trying to work out if it is possible to have real time communications in 
a browser without any plugins.  The resulting work will require protocol 
changes, new APIs, and a new level of cooperation between the IETF and 
the W3C.  The outlook is optimistic; the IESG agrees to a mailing list 
on April 4, 2011 and to make the effort a working group on May 3rd.

Our first meeting as a working group was  IETF 81
<https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/rtcweb.html>:  The rooms were 
large, the energy palpable, and the optimism at a quick and decisive 
effort had resulted in a charter with milestones like this:

Goals and Milestones:

Aug 2011 Architecture, Security, Privacy and Threat Model sent to W3C

Aug 2011 Use cases, Scenarios, and Requirements document (I-D) sent to  
W3C

Sep 2011 Architecture and Security, Privacy, and Threat Model 
document(s) to IESG as Informational

Sep 2011 Use cases, Scenarios, and Requirements for RTCWeb document sent 
to IESG as Informational

Dec 2011 RTCWeb protocol profiles and Media format specification(s) to 
IESG as PS

Dec 2011 Information elements and events APIs Input to W3C

Apr 2012 API to Protocol mapping document submitted to the IESG as
Informational (if needed)

Ladies and gentleman, we are a bit late.

During the time this working group was active, we went through multiple
ADs: Gonzalo was succeeded by Alissa and then by Adam.  The Area we were
in, RAI, was merged with APPS to create ART.  Magnus, one of the 
original WG chairs, had a baby and was succeeded by Sean, who then had a 
baby (Actually, make that two babies in both cases).  Cullen was 
eventually poached by his management to serve as CTO of Webex.

The group was also prolific.  My personal archive for the mailing list
shows just over 9000 messages, (though this is slightly inflated by my
putting chair messages in there as well.)   The cluster of documents 
that is the output of the work in RTCWEB and in the working groups on 
whom we had dependencies has become legendary: cluster 238 gave rise to 
both some extraordinary dwell times (the data protocol and channel 
drafts are at 1679 days, more than four and half years) and some RFC 
editor innovations (the creation of a cluster mailing list, so that 
AUTH48 changes are coordinated across groups).

While the working group tussled over interoperability with non-browser
systems and then on the implications of that decision for codecs, we 
lost some time.  We appear, however,  to have made up for it:  WebRTC is
available in well over a billion applications or endpoints.  By the 
simple metrics of rough consensus and running code, it is a runaway 
success.

On behalf of all the chairs and area directors who were part of the
journey, for your contributions to that success, whether as document
author, minute taker, jabber scribe, interim host, comment maker or 
poser of questions,

many thanks,

Ted Hardie