Subject: RFC 8642 on Policy Behavior for Well-Known BGP Communities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 21:50:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8642

        Title:      Policy Behavior for Well-Known BGP 
                    Communities 
        Author:     J. Borkenhagen, 
                    R. Bush,
                    R. Bonica, 
                    S. Bayraktar
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13429
        Updates:    RFC 1997

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-wkc-behavior-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8642

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8642

Well-known BGP communities are manipulated differently across various
current implementations, resulting in difficulties for operators.
Network operators should deploy consistent community handling across
their networks while taking the inconsistent behaviors from the
various BGP implementations into consideration.  This document
recommends specific actions to limit future inconsistency: namely,
BGP implementors must not create further inconsistencies from this
point forward.  These behavioral changes, though subtle, actually
update RFC 1997.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC