Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-03.txt> (PIM Message Type Space Extension and Reserved Bits) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 14:21:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Protocols for IP Multicast WG (pim)
to consider the following document: - 'PIM Message Type Space Extension and
Reserved Bits'
  <draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-09-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The PIM version 2 messages share a common message header format.  The
   common header definition contains eight reserved bits.  This document
   specifies how these bits may be used by individual message types, and
   creates a registry containing the per message type usage.  This
   document also extends the PIM type space by defining three new
   message types.  For each of the new types, four of the previously
   reserved bits are used to form an extended type range.

   This document Updates RFC7761 and RFC3973 by defining the use of the
   currently Reserved field in the PIM common header.  This document
   further updates RFC7761 and RFC3973, along with RFC5015, RFC5059,
   RFC6754 and RFC8364, by specifying the use of the currently Reserved
   bits for each PIM message.

   This document obsoletes RFC6166.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-reserved-bits/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.