Subject: Last Call: <draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-04.txt> (Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA): Registry Restrictions and Recommendations) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 13:30:42 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA):
Registry
   Restrictions and Recommendations'
  <draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-08-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract
   The IDNA specifications for internationalized domain names combine
   rules that determine the labels that are allowed in the DNS without
   violating the protocol itself and an assignment of responsibility,
   consistent with earlier specifications, for determining the labels
   that are allowed in particular zones.  Conformance to IDNA by
   registries and other implementations requires both parts.  Experience
   strongly suggests that the language describing those responsibilities
   was insufficiently clear to promote safe and interoperable use of the
   specifications and that more details and discussion of circumstances
   would have been helpful.  Without making any substantive changes to
   IDNA, this specification updates two of the core IDNA documents (RFC
   5980 and 5891) and the IDNA explanatory document (RFC 5894) to
   provide that guidance and to correct some technical errors in the
   descriptions.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis/

When IESG discussion has begun, it can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc5894: Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA): Background, Explanation, and Rationale (Informational - IETF stream)
    rfc1591: Domain Name System Structure and Delegation (Informational - Legacy stream)