Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extended Message support for BGP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-36.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:58:37 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extended Message support for BGP'
  (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-36.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages/

Technical Summary

   This document updates the BGP specification RFC4271 by
   extending the maximum message size from 4,096 octets to 65,535 octets
   for all except the OPEN and KEEPALIVE messages.

Working Group Summary

   This document has generated a lot of activity in the WG to make sure that
   this important change is done the right way.  The Chairs have made a WGLC
   at least in 3 different  occasions...and the AD returned the document to the
   WG after the first time it was submitted to the IESG.  Through all this, the 
   consensus of the WG has been strong, with the discussions focusing on 
   specific text.

Document Quality

   4 implementations have been reported

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Susan Hares
  Area Director: Alvaro Retana