Subject: RFC 8643 on An Opportunistic Approach for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 16:39:15 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8643

        Title:      An Opportunistic Approach for Secure 
                    Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP) 
        Author:     A. Johnston, 
                    B. Aboba,
                    A. Hutton,
                    R. Jesske,
                    T. Stach
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 18189
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8643

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8643

Opportunistic Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP) is an
implementation of the Opportunistic Security mechanism, as defined in
RFC 7435, applied to the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  OSRTP
allows encrypted media to be used in environments where support for
encryption is not known in advance and is not required.  OSRTP does
not require Session Description Protocol (SDP) extensions or features
and is fully backwards compatible with existing implementations using
encrypted and authenticated media and implementations that do not
encrypt or authenticate media packets.  OSRTP is not specific to any
key management technique for Secure RTP (SRTP).  OSRTP is a
transitional approach useful for migrating existing deployments of
real-time communications to a fully encrypted and authenticated
state.

This document is a product of the SIP Best-practice Recommendations Against Network Dangers to privacY Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC