Subject: Protocol Action: 'Use of the HSS/LMS Hash-based Signature Algorithm in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-hash-sig-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 10:05:23 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of the HSS/LMS Hash-based Signature Algorithm in the Cryptographic
   Message Syntax (CMS)'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-cms-hash-sig-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-hash-sig/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the conventions for using the the HSS/LMS
   hash-based signature algorithm with the Cryptographic Message Syntax
   (CMS).  In addition, the algorithm identifier and public key syntax
   are provided.  The HSS/LMS algorithm is one form of hash-based
   digital signature; it is described in draft-mcgrew-hash-sigs-15,
   which is about to be published as RFC 8554.

Working Group Summary

    There is consensus for this document in the LAMPS WG.

Document Quality

    This extension allows the HSS/LMS hash-based signature algorithm 
    described in draft-mcgrew-hash-sigs-15 to be used with the CMS.  In
    addition, the algorithm identifiers allow the hash-based signatures
    to be used in digital certificates.  At least one PKI intends to 
    issue certificates using this algorithm.

Personnel

    Tim Hollebeek is the document shepherd.
    Roman Danyliw is the responsible area director.