Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-07.txt> (Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 09:13:37 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Serving Stale Data to Improve
DNS Resiliency'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-09-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This draft defines a method (serve-stale) for recursive resolvers to
   use stale DNS data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers
   cannot be reached to refresh expired data.  One of the motivations
   for serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to DoS attacks, and
   thereby make them less attractive as an attack vector.  This document
   updates the definitions of TTL from RFC 1034 and RFC 1035 so that
   data can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry, and also updates
   RFC 2181 by interpreting values with the high order bit set as being
   positive, rather than 0, and also suggests a cap of 7 days.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3589/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3014/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3590/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3059/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3573/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2967/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2968/