Subject: RFC 8638 on IPv4 Multicast over an IPv6 Multicast in Softwire Mesh Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 20:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8638

        Title:      IPv4 Multicast over an IPv6 Multicast
                    in Softwire Mesh Networks
        Author:     M. Xu,
                    Y. Cui,
                    J. Wu,
                    S. Yang,
                    C. Metz
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 41530
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-25.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8638

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8638

During the transition to IPv6, there are scenarios where a backbone
network internally running one IP address family (referred to as the
internal IP or I-IP family) connects client networks running another
IP address family (referred to as the external IP or E-IP family).
In such cases, the I-IP backbone needs to offer both unicast and
multicast transit services to the client E-IP networks.

This document describes a mechanism for supporting multicast across
backbone networks where the I-IP and E-IP protocol families differ.
The document focuses on the IPv4-over-IPv6 scenario, due to lack of
real-world use cases for the IPv6-over-IPv4 scenario.

This document is a product of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC