Subject: RFC 8655 on Deterministic Networking Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:00:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8655

        Title:      Deterministic Networking Architecture 
        Author:     N. Finn, 
                    P. Thubert,
                    B. Varga, 
                    J. Farkas
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-detnet-architecture-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8655

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8655

This document provides the overall architecture for Deterministic
Networking (DetNet), which provides a capability to carry specified
unicast or multicast data flows for real-time applications with
extremely low data loss rates and bounded latency within a network
domain.  Techniques used include 1) reserving data-plane resources
for individual (or aggregated) DetNet flows in some or all of the
intermediate nodes along the path of the flow, 2) providing explicit
routes for DetNet flows that do not immediately change with the
network topology, and 3) distributing data from DetNet flow packets
over time and/or space to ensure delivery of each packet's data in
spite of the loss of a path.  DetNet operates at the IP layer and
delivers service over lower-layer technologies such as MPLS and Time-
Sensitive Networking (TSN) as defined by IEEE 802.1.

This document is a product of the Deterministic Networking Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC