Subject: The eligibility-discuss Mailing List Virtual Meeting; October 24, 2019 17:00 UTC

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 08:06:05 -0700

There has been discussion on the "eligibility-discuss" mailing list
about a proposal to address some aspects of the recall process. There
will be a virtual meeting, by WebEx, to continue that discussion, on
24 October at 17:00 UTC, scheduled for 1.5 hours. The WebEx
information will be posted to <[email-masked]> in
advance of the meeting. Pete Resnick will chair, and Barry Leiba will
be the responsible AD.

The meeting will be driven by the following problem statement; the
goal will be to progress the work that has started on the list, with
further discussion continuing on the list (and possible additional
virtual meetings, if necessary).

================================
Problem statement

The current description of the process for initiating petitions for
recalls for NomCom-appointed roles is described in RFC 7437 (updated
by draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc7437bis, in the RFC Editor queue). That
process needs updates.

The scope of this work includes the following three specific issues
with the petition process; other parts of the recall model and other
ways of removing Nomcom-appointees are explicitly out of scope.

The three issues are:

- Remote participants are not eligible to seek redress through the
recall process.

- Members of bodies appointed by the NomCom are also not eligible, and
this restricts the timely initiation of a recall petition.

- The required number of signatories sets a very high barrier to
initiate a recall petition.

The virtual meeting

The purpose of virtual meeting is to examine the above-mentioned
issues and determine, for each, whether there is sufficient interest,
agreement, and importance to continue work on that item, and, if so,
how to best organize that work. A possible starting point for the
work is draft-moonesamy-recall-rev.

This is all part of a larger set of discussions surrounding both the
recall process and the eligibility of remote participants to be voting
members of the NomCom. In order to keep the work bounded, for the
purpose of this meeting these larger discussions are secondary: they
will be discussed, but we should try to maintain a tactical focus.

================================