Subject: RFC 8654 on Extended Message Support for BGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8654

        Title:      Extended Message Support for BGP 
        Author:     R. Bush, 
                    K. Patel,
                    D. Ward
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Updates:    RFC 4271

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-36.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8654

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8654

The BGP specification (RFC 4271) mandates a maximum BGP message size
of 4,096 octets.  As BGP is extended to support new Address Family
Identifiers (AFIs), Subsequent AFIs (SAFIs), and other features,
there is a need to extend the maximum message size beyond 4,096
octets.  This document updates the BGP specification by extending the
maximum message size from 4,096 octets to 65,535 octets for all
messages except for OPEN and KEEPALIVE messages.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC