Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane-12.txt> (BGP Control Plane for NSH SFC) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 19:56:23 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'BGP Control Plane for NSH SFC'
  <draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-12-13. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the use of BGP as a control plane for
   networks that support Service Function Chaining (SFC).  The document
   introduces a new BGP address family called the SFC AFI/SAFI with two
   route types.  One route type is originated by a node to advertise
   that it hosts a particular instance of a specified service function.
   This route type also provides "instructions" on how to send a packet
   to the hosting node in a way that indicates that the service function
   has to be applied to the packet.  The other route type is used by a
   Controller to advertise the paths of "chains" of service functions,
   and to give a unique designator to each such path so that they can be
   used in conjunction with the Network Service Header defined in RFC
   8300.

   This document adopts the SFC architecture described in RFC 7665.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3107/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2980/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3826/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2898/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3347/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3011/

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc7665: Service Function Chaining (SFC) Architecture (Informational - IETF stream)
    rfc8596: MPLS Transport Encapsulation for the Service Function Chaining (SFC) Network Service Header (NSH) (Informational - IETF stream)