Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-03.txt> (Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 06:06:33 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network File System Version 4 WG
(nfsv4) to consider the following document: - 'Network File System (NFS)
Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-11-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the Network File System (NFS) version 4 minor
   version 1, including features retained from the base protocol (NFS
   version 4 minor version 0, which is specified in RFC 7530) and
   protocol extensions made subsequently.  The later minor version has
   no dependencies on NFS version 4 minor version 0, and is considered a
   separate protocol.

   This document obsoletes RFC5661.  It substantialy revises the
   treatment of features relating to multi-server namesapce superseding
   the description of those features appearing in RFC5661.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns/ballot/

This document is a narrowly scoped update to address the multi-name
space functionalities. The document does not address some known 
issues regarding e.g. security and internationalization that would
be expected when we in IETF normally updates a specification fully. 
The IESG rejected the form of the update originally had, and requested
the update to be in the form of a full specification. Some of the motivation
and reasoning behind this form of focused replacement document is 
captured in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-roach-bis-documents/

The documents introduction and an appendix discusses the scope of the
update to the protocol and what has not been addressed. Reviewers
may be helped by this RFC diff showing changes compared to RFC 5661:
https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5661.txt&url2=https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-03.txt
 
No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.
However, there exists an IPR declaration on RFC 5661:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1361/