Subject: RFC 8677 on Name-Based Service Function Forwarder (nSFF) Component within aService Function Chaining (SFC) Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:11:44 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8677

        Title:      Name-Based Service Function Forwarder (nSFF) 
                    Component within a Service Function Chaining (SFC) 
                    Framework 
        Author:     D. Trossen,
                    D. Purkayastha,
                    A. Rahman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       November 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8677

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8677

Adoption of cloud and fog technology allows operators to deploy a
single "Service Function" (SF) to multiple "execution locations". 
The decision to steer traffic to a specific location may change
frequently based on load, proximity, etc. Under the current Service
Function Chaining (SFC) framework, steering traffic dynamically to
the different execution endpoints requires a specific "rechaining",
i.e., a change in the service function path reflecting the different
IP endpoints to be used for the new execution points.  This procedure
may be complex and take time. In order to simplify rechaining and
reduce the time to complete the procedure, we discuss separating the
logical Service Function Path (SFP) from the specific execution
endpoints. This can be done by identifying the SFs using a name
rather than a routable IP endpoint (or Layer 2 address). This
document describes the necessary extensions, additional functions,
and protocol details in the Service Function Forwarder (SFF) to
handle name-based relationships. 

This document presents InterDigital's approach to name-based SFC. It
does not represent IETF consensus and is presented here so that the
SFC community may benefit from considering this mechanism and the
possibility of its use in the edge data centers.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC