Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsec-v6-21.txt> (Operational Security Considerations for IPv6 Networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 07:42:08 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Operational Security Capabilities
for IP Network Infrastructure WG (opsec) to consider the following document:
- 'Operational Security Considerations for IPv6 Networks'
  <draft-ietf-opsec-v6-21.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-12-02. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Knowledge and experience on how to operate IPv4 securely is
   available: whether it is the Internet or an enterprise internal
   network.  However, IPv6 presents some new security challenges.  RFC
   4942 describes the security issues in the protocol but network
   managers also need a more practical, operations-minded document to
   enumerate advantages and/or disadvantages of certain choices.

   This document analyzes the operational security issues in several
   places of a network (enterprises, service providers and residential
   users) and proposes technical and procedural mitigations techniques.
   Some very specific places of a network such as the Internet of Things
   are not discussed in this document.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-v6/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-v6/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.