Subject: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> (URI Design and Ownership) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 02:23:40 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'URI Design and Ownership'
  <draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-02.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-12-16. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Section 1.1.1 of RFC 3986 defines URI syntax as "a federated and
   extensible naming system wherein each scheme's specification may
   further restrict the syntax and semantics of identifiers using that
   scheme."  In other words, the structure of a URI is defined by its
   scheme.  While it is common for schemes to further delegate their
   substructure to the URI's owner, publishing independent standards
   that mandate particular forms of substructure in URIs is often
   problematic.

   This document provides guidance on the specification of URI
   substructure in standards.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.