Subject: Protocol Action: 'Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Hop-Limit Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 08:27:00 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Hop-Limit Option'
  (draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-hop-limit/

Technical Summary

   The presence of Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) proxies
   may lead to infinite forwarding loops, which is undesirable.
   To prevent and detect such loops, this document specifies
   the Hop-Limit CoAP option.

Working Group Summary

   The document has gone through multiple expert reviews
   and has been discussed at multiple face-to-face IETF meetings.
   Nothing particularly controversial about this document.

Document Quality

   This draft is the solution to a problem raised by the DOTs WG
   (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-signal-channel-37).
   It is referred as a normative reference there.

   The option has already been implemented in the proprietary
   NCC Group DOTS.

Personnel

   Jaime Jiménez is the document shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.