Subject: RFC 8689 on SMTP Require TLS Option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:57:23 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8689

        Title:      SMTP Require TLS Option 
        Author:     J. Fenton
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8689

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8689

The SMTP STARTTLS option, used in negotiating transport-level
encryption of SMTP connections, is not as useful from a security
standpoint as it might be because of its opportunistic nature;
message delivery is, by default, prioritized over security. This
document describes an SMTP service extension, REQUIRETLS, and a
message header field, TLS-Required. If the REQUIRETLS option or
TLS-Required message header field is used when sending a message, it
asserts a request on the part of the message sender to override the
default negotiation of TLS, either by requiring that TLS be
negotiated when the message is relayed or by requesting that
recipient-side policy mechanisms such as MTA-STS and DNS-Based
Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) be ignored when relaying a
message for which security is unimportant.

This document is a product of the Using TLS in Applications Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC