Subject: Protocol Action: 'Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for LPWAN, application to UDP/IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-24.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:59:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for LPWAN,
   application to UDP/IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-24.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Éric Vyncke and Suresh Krishnan.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc/

Technical Summary

  This document defines the Static Context Header Compression (SCHC)
   framework, which provides both header compression and fragmentation
   functionalities.  SCHC has been tailored for Low Power Wide Area
   Networks (LPWAN).

   SCHC compression is based on a common static context stored in both
   the LPWAN devices and the network side.  This document defines a
   header compression mechanism and its application to compress IPv6/UDP
   headers.

   This document also specifies a fragmentation and reassembly mechanism
   that is used to support the IPv6 MTU requirement over the LPWAN
   technologies.  Fragmentation is needed for IPv6 datagrams that, after
   SCHC compression or when such compression was not possible, still
   exceed the layer two maximum payload size.

   The SCHC header compression and fragmentation mechanisms are
   independent of the specific LPWAN technology over which they are
   used.  Note that this document defines generic functionalities and
   advisedly offers flexibility with regard to parameter settings and
   mechanism choices.  Such settings and choices are expected to be made
   in other technology-specific documents.

Working Group Summary

  The WGLC comments were rich but did not show
  fundamental issues in the design. The 30 open tickets lead mostly to editorial
  changes that helped clarify the text ann avoid misinterpretation. We spent the
  last IETF meeting and multiple interim going through the tickets and addressed
  them concensualy. 

Document Quality

  The protocol has been implemented and demonstrated over LoRa and SigFox
  technologies. There is only one vendor proposing a stack at this point.
  The reviewers are acknowledged in the document. The original
  shepherd was Dominique Barthel. He went so deep in the process, proposing
  edits and helping with the corrected text, that the chairs asked him to move
  to a co-author position, and took over shepherding, not because he was not
  good enough, but because he did too well at it.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Pascal Thubert. The Responsible Area Director is Suresh Krishnan.