Subject: RFC 8678 on Enterprise Multihoming using Provider-Assigned IPv6 Addresses without Network Prefix Translation: Requirements and Solutions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 22:06:54 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8678

        Title:      Enterprise Multihoming using Provider-Assigned  
                    IPv6 Addresses without Network Prefix Translation: 
                    Requirements and Solutions 
        Author:     F. Baker,
                    C. Bowers,
                    J. Linkova
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8678

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8678

Connecting an enterprise site to multiple ISPs over IPv6 using
provider-assigned addresses is difficult without the use of some form
of Network Address Translation (NAT). Much has been written on this
topic over the last 10 to 15 years, but it still remains a problem
without a clearly defined or widely implemented solution. Any
multihoming solution without NAT requires hosts at the site to have
addresses from each ISP and to select the egress ISP by selecting a
source address for outgoing packets. It also requires routers at the
site to take into account those source addresses when forwarding
packets out towards the ISPs.

This document examines currently available mechanisms for providing a
solution to this problem for a broad range of enterprise topologies.
It covers the behavior of routers to forward traffic by taking into
account source address, and it covers the behavior of hosts to select
appropriate default source addresses. It also covers any possible
role that routers might play in providing information to hosts to
help them select appropriate source addresses. In the process of
exploring potential solutions, this document also makes explicit
requirements for how the solution would be expected to behave from
the perspective of an enterprise site network administrator.

This document is a product of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC