Subject: RFC 8663 on MPLS Segment Routing over IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 13:53:38 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8663

        Title:      MPLS Segment Routing over IP 
        Author:     X. Xu,
                    S. Bryant,
                    A. Farrel,
                    S. Hassan,
                    W. Henderickx,
                    Z. Li
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-sr-over-ip-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8663

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8663

MPLS Segment Routing (SR-MPLS) is a method of source routing a packet
through an MPLS data plane by imposing a stack of MPLS labels on the
packet to specify the path together with any packet-specific
instructions to be executed on it.  SR-MPLS can be leveraged to
realize a source-routing mechanism across MPLS, IPv4, and IPv6 data
planes by using an MPLS label stack as a source-routing instruction
set while making no changes to SR-MPLS specifications and
interworking with SR-MPLS implementations.

This document describes how SR-MPLS-capable routers and IP-only
routers can seamlessly coexist and interoperate through the use of
SR-MPLS label stacks and IP encapsulation/tunneling such as
MPLS-over-UDP as defined in RFC 7510.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC