Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-09.txt> (Postquantum Preshared Keys for IKEv2) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 06:44:49 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions WG (ipsecme) to consider the following document: - 'Postquantum
Preshared Keys for IKEv2'
  <draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-12-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The possibility of Quantum Computers poses a serious challenge to
   cryptographic algorithms deployed widely today.  IKEv2 is one example
   of a cryptosystem that could be broken; someone storing VPN
   communications today could decrypt them at a later time when a
   Quantum Computer is available.  It is anticipated that IKEv2 will be
   extended to support quantum-secure key exchange algorithms; however
   that is not likely to happen in the near term.  To address this
   problem before then, this document describes an extension of IKEv2 to
   allow it to be resistant to a Quantum Computer, by using preshared
   keys.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.