Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd-12.txt> (Address Protected Neighbor Discovery for Low-power and Lossy Networks) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 10:10:25 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 over Networks of
Resource-constrained Nodes WG (6lo) to consider the following document: -
'Address Protected Neighbor Discovery for Low-power and Lossy Networks'
  <draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-01-09. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies an extension to 6LoWPAN Neighbor Discovery
   (ND) protocol defined in RFC6775 and updated in RFC8505.  The new
   extension is called Address Protected Neighbor Discovery (AP-ND) and
   it protects the owner of an address against address theft and
   impersonation attacks in a low-power and lossy network (LLN).  Nodes
   supporting this extension compute a cryptographic identifier (Crypto-
   ID) and use it with one or more of their Registered Addresses.  The
   Crypto-ID identifies the owner of the Registered Address and can be
   used to provide proof of ownership of the Registered Addresses.  Once
   an address is registered with the Crypto-ID and a proof-of-ownership
   is provided, only the owner of that address can modify the
   registration information, thereby enforcing Source Address
   Validation.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.