Subject: Document Action: 'TLS 1.3 Extension for Certificate-based Authentication with an External Pre-Shared Key' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-tls-tls13-cert-with-extern-psk-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 13:36:53 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TLS 1.3 Extension for Certificate-based Authentication with an
   External Pre-Shared Key'
  (draft-ietf-tls-tls13-cert-with-extern-psk-07.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-cert-with-extern-psk/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a TLS 1.3 extension that allows a server to
   authenticate with a combination of a certificate and an external pre-
   shared key (PSK).

Working Group Summary

  The document has strong support from a small number of participants in 
 the working group.  Concerns have been raised about the lack of 
 implementation plans, but there was enough support to move this 
 experimental draft forward. 

Document Quality

Implementation plans are unknown, but the core of the proposal
involves using a "joint in the protocol" in a usage that was envisioned
in the original design; the main work is to record the specific semantics
and signaling involved, to ensure interoperability.

Personnel

Joe Salowey is the document shepherd.
Benjamin Kaduk is the responsible AD.