Subject: Last Call: <draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-15.txt> (Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa') to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:19:50 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa''
  <draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-17. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The specification for how a client discovers its local network's
   NAT64 prefix [RFC7050] defines the special name 'ipv4only.arpa' for
   this purpose, but in its Domain Name Reservation Considerations
   section that specification indicates that the name actually has no
   particularly special properties would require special handling, and
   does not request IANA to record the name in the Special-Use Domain
   Names registry.

   Consequently, despite the well articulated special purpose of the
   name, 'ipv4only.arpa' was not recorded in the Special-Use Domain
   Names registry as a name with special properties.

   As a result of this omission, in cases where software needs to give
   this name special treatment in order for it to work correctly, there
   was no clear mandate authorizing software authors to implement that
   special treatment.  Software implementers were left with the choice
   between not implementing the special behavior necessary for the name
   queries to work correctly, or implementing the special behavior and
   being accused of being noncompliant with some RFC.

   This document describes the special treatment required, formally
   declares the special properties of the name, and adds similar
   declarations for the corresponding reverse mapping names.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.