Subject: RFC 8682 on TinyMT32 Pseudorandom Number Generator (PRNG)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 15:39:04 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8682

        Title:      TinyMT32 Pseudorandom Number Generator (PRNG) 
        Author:     M. Saito, 
                    M. Matsumoto,
                    V. Roca, Ed.,
                    E. Baccelli
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-tinymt32-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8682

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8682

This document describes the TinyMT32 Pseudorandom Number Generator
(PRNG), which produces 32-bit pseudorandom unsigned integers and aims
at having a simple-to-use and deterministic solution. This PRNG is a
small-sized variant of the Mersenne Twister (MT) PRNG. The main
advantage of TinyMT32 over MT is the use of a small internal state,
compatible with most target platforms that include embedded devices,
while keeping reasonably good randomness that represents a
significant improvement compared to the Park-Miller Linear
Congruential PRNG. However, neither the TinyMT nor MT PRNG is meant
to be used for cryptographic applications.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC