Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis-06.txt> (Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method for 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:00:19 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the EAP Method Update WG (emu) to
consider the following document: - 'Improved Extensible Authentication
Protocol Method for 3GPP Mobile
   Network Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')'
  <draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-01-29. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The 3GPP Mobile Network Authentication and Key Agreement (AKA) is the
   primary authentication mechanism for devices wishing to access mobile
   networks.  RFC 4187 (EAP-AKA) made the use of this mechanism possible
   within the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) framework.  RFC
   5448 (EAP-AKA') was an improved version of EAP-AKA.

   This memo replaces the specification of EAP-AKA'.  EAP-AKA' was
   defined in RFC 5448 and updated EAP-AKA RFC 4187.  As such this
   document obsoletes RFC 5448 and updates RFC 4187.

   EAP-AKA' differs from EAP-AKA by providing a key derivation function
   that binds the keys derived within the method to the name of the
   access network.  The key derivation function has been defined in the
   3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP).  EAP-AKA' allows its use
   in EAP in an interoperable manner.  EAP-AKA' is also an algorithm
   update, as it employs SHA-256 / HMAC-SHA-256 instead of SHA-1 / HMAC-
   SHA-1 as in EAP-AKA.

   This version of EAP-AKA' specification specifies the protocol
   behaviour for 5G deployments as well.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-emu-rfc5448bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.