Subject: Protocol Action: 'PIM Designated Router Load Balancing' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pim-drlb-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 15:09:42 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PIM Designated Router Load Balancing'
  (draft-ietf-pim-drlb-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-drlb/

Technical Summary

   On a multi-access network, one of the PIM-SM routers is elected as a
   Designated Router.  One of the responsibilities of the Designated
   Router is to track local multicast listeners and forward data to
   these listeners if the group is operating in PIM-SM.  This document
   specifies a modification to the PIM-SM protocol that allows more than
   one of the PIM-SM routers to take on this responsibility so that the
   forwarding load can be distributed among multiple routers.

Working Group Summary

   There was very thorough review by the WG; there were many comments 
   and all were addressed.  This document has been in process for several years,
   and was sent to the IESG for publication twice (with a 4-year difference) due
   to concerns by the AD.

Document Quality

  There is one implementation of the specification.  

Personnel

   Mike McBride is the document shepherd and Alvaro Retana is the responsible Area Director.