Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Binary Meta Language' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-cellar-ebml-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 06:06:28 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensible Binary Meta Language'
  (draft-ietf-cellar-ebml-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and
Realtime transmission Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cellar-ebml/

Technical Summary

   This document defines format considerations for Extensible Binary
   Meta Language, a hierarchical file format for efficient delivery
   of binary data in defined Elements inspired by XML. It proposes
   definitions for creating and validating EBML Schemas that define
   the use and interpretation of Elements within EBML Documents.  

Working Group Summary

   This document has been adequately reviewed by working group
   members and others, through both mailing list discussion and
   Github issues and pull requests.

   One minor issue was how to define EBML Elements in a Header
   document in a forward-compatible way. It was decided Headers
   could require a specific, minimum or maximum EBMLVersion
   (which might have different implementations of Elements). 

   Most recent discussion has focused on how Element IDs (unique
   identifiers for EBML Elements used within a Schema and Document)
   should be defined and encoded (as Variable Size Integers) with regard
   to IANA registration.

Document Quality

   There are already several existing implementations of the specification,
   including ffmpeg, vlc, and most major browsers and many TV boxes.

   This is a very readable and clearly written document, and represents
   the inclusion of multiple recent revisions resolving minor outstanding issues.
   There appears to be strong group consensus on this document’s readiness
   to move forward in the standardization process.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Steven Villereal.
   The responsible Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.