Subject: Document Action: Purported Responsible Address in E-Mail Messages to Historic

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:22:32 -0800

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- Purported Responsible Address in E-Mail Messages
  (rfc4407) to Historic

This document action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-change-sender-id-to-historic/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4407/

Status Change Details:

In 2006, two experiments were started for email authentication: Sender
Policy Framework (SPF, RFC 4408) and Sender ID (RFC 4406, supported by
RFCs 4405 and 4407).  After eight years of experimental data (RFC
6686), it was clear that SPF remained in widespread use while Sender
ID did not.  RFC 7208 moved SPF from Experimental status to Proposed
Standard.  This document acknowledges that Sender ID did not pass its
experiment, and changes the status of RFCs 4405, 4406, and 4407 to
Historic.

Personnel

   Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.