Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-22.txt> (Network Time Security for the Network Time Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:46:16 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network Time Protocol WG (ntp) to
consider the following document: - 'Network Time Security for the Network
Time Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-22.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-28. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo specifies Network Time Security (NTS), a mechanism for
   using Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Authenticated Encryption
   with Associated Data (AEAD) to provide cryptographic security for the
   client-server mode of the Network Time Protocol (NTP).

   NTS is structured as a suite of two loosely coupled sub-protocols.
   The first (NTS-KE) handles initial authentication and key
   establishment over TLS.  The second handles encryption and
   authentication during NTP time synchronization via extension fields
   in the NTP packets, and holds all required state only on the client
   via opaque cookies.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc5297: Synthetic Initialization Vector (SIV) Authenticated Encryption Using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) (Informational - IETF stream)