Subject: RFC 8722 on Defining the Role and Function of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operators

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 10:19:53 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8722

        Title:      Defining the Role and Function 
                    of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operators 
        Author:     D. McPherson, Ed.,
                    O. Kolkman, Ed.,
                    J. Klensin, Ed.,
                    G. Huston, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6220

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc6220bis-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8722

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8722

Many Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) protocols make use of
commonly defined values that are passed in messages or packets.  To
ensure consistent interpretation of these values between independent
implementations, there is a need to ensure that the values and
associated semantic intent are uniquely defined.  The IETF uses
registry functions to record assigned protocol parameter values and
their associated semantic intentions.  For each IETF protocol
parameter, it is current practice for the IETF to delegate the role
of Protocol Parameter Registry Operator to a nominated entity.  This
document provides a description of, and the requirements for, these
delegated functions. This document obsoletes RFC 6220 to replace all
references to the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA) and
related structures with those defined by the IASA 2.0 Model.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC