Subject: WG Action: Formed Drone Remote ID Protocol (drip)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:57:20 -0800

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Internet Area. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chair.

Drone Remote ID Protocol (drip)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
  Éric Vyncke <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tm-rid
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tm-rid/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/drip/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-drip/

Civil Aviation Authorities (CAAs) worldwide have initiated rule making for
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Remote Identification (RID). CAAs currently
promulgate performance-based regulations that do not mandate specific
techniques, but rather cite industry-consensus technical standards as
acceptable means of compliance. One key standard is ASTM International
(formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) WK65041 [1]. This
technical specification defines UAS RID message formats, and transmission
methods. Network RID defines a set of information for UAS to be made
available globally via the Internet. Broadcast RID defines a set of messages
for UAS to send locally one-way over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. WK65041 does not
address how to populate/query registries, how to ensure trustworthiness of
information, nor how to make the information useful.

DRIP’s goal is to specify how RID can be made trustworthy and available in
both Internet and local-only connected scenarios, especially in emergency
situations. Some UAS operate in environments where the network or the devices
or both are severely constrained [2] in terms of processing, bandwidth (e.g.,
Bluetooth 4 beacon payload is 25 bytes long), or battery life, and DRIP aims
to function in these environments. The specifications produced by the WG will
need to balance public safety authorities’ need to know trustworthy
information with UAS operators’ and other involved parties’ privacy.

The working group will primarily leverage Internet standards (including HIP,
EPP, RDAP, and DNS) and infrastructure as well as domain name registration
business models. The WG will track and align with the requirements being
developed by regulatory authorities, e.g., the International Civil Aviation
Organization the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) delegated [3]
and implementing [4] regulations, and the US Federal Aviation Administration
(US FAA) [5].

The working group will work on the following items:

* Requirements: the WG is expected to provide an informational document that
lists the technical requirements for applying IETF protocols to the UAS
Remote Identification (UAS RID) - that is the system for identifying Unmanned
Aircraft (UA) during flight by other parties. These requirements also include
showing that new or adapted identifiers from existing protocols conform and
meet the specifications to be certified as a UAS RID.

* Architecture: the WG will propose a standard document that describes the 
architecture that address the technical requirements and that will attempt to
re-use protocols or architectures already standardized at the IETF.

* Protocol design: while the primary purpose of DRIP WG is to leverage
existing protocols, the specificities of the UAS environment are likely to
require existing protocols to be extended or new protocols to be designed.
The WG will focus on getting these protocols or extensions standardized,
coordinating with other WGs relevant for the protocol(s) in question on the
most appropriate home for any given piece of work.

References:
[1] ASTM International F38 Committee Work Item WK65041 “Standard
Specification for UAS Remote ID and Tracking”
https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/WORKITEMS/WK65041.htm [2] UAS
Identification and Tracking Aviation Rulemaking Committee Recommendations
Final Report 2017 SEP 30
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/committees/documents/media/UAS%20ID%20ARC%20Final%20Report%20with%20Appendices.pdf
[3] https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2019/945/oj [4]
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_impl/2019/947/ojeg_impl/2019/947/oj [5]
Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM)
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

Milestones:

  Mar 2020 - Requirements and architecture drafts adopted by the WG

  Mar 2021 - Solution space documents