Subject: RFC 8489 on Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 22:30:53 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8489

        Title:      Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) 
        Author:     M. Petit-Huguenin,
                    G. Salgueiro,
                    J. Rosenberg, 
                    D. Wing,
                    R. Mahy, 
                    P. Matthews
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      67
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5389

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-21.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8489

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8489

Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) is a protocol that serves
as a tool for other protocols in dealing with NAT traversal.  It can
be used by an endpoint to determine the IP address and port allocated
to it by a NAT.  It can also be used to check connectivity between
two endpoints and as a keep-alive protocol to maintain NAT bindings.
STUN works with many existing NATs and does not require any special
behavior from them.

STUN is not a NAT traversal solution by itself.  Rather, it is a tool
to be used in the context of a NAT traversal solution.

This document obsoletes RFC 5389.

This document is a product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

[Note: This RFC is intentionally not published in the v3 format.]  

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC