Subject: Last Call: <draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-04.txt> (Reassignment of System Ports to the IESG) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 07:44:48 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Reassignment of System Ports to the IESG'
  <draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-03-09. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In the IANA Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry,
   a large number of System Ports is currently assigned to individuals
   or companies who have registered the port for the use with a certain
   protocol before RFC6335 was published.  For some of these ports, RFCs
   exist that describe the respective protocol; for others, RFCs are
   under development that define, re-define, or assign the protocol used
   for the respective port, e.g. in case of so-far unused UDP ports that
   have been registered together with the respective TCP port.  In these
   cases the IESG has the change control about the protocol used on the
   port (as described in an RFC) but does not have the change control
   about the port usage itself.  Currently, to transfer the change
   control to the IESG, the original assignee has to be contacted to
   initialize this transfer.  As it is not always possible to get in
   touch with the original assignee, e.g. because of out-dated contact
   information or other reasons, and the current practice of case-by-
   case changes does not scale well, this document instructs IANA to
   perform actions with the goal to reassigns all System Ports to the
   IESG that have been assigned to individuals prior to the publication
   of RFC6335.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-system-ports/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-system-ports/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.