Subject: WG Action: Rechartered QUIC (quic)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:17:06 -0800

The QUIC (quic) WG in the Transport Area of the IETF has been rechartered.
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

QUIC (quic)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
  Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
  Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Directors:
  Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
  Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/quic
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/quic/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/quic/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-quic/

The QUIC working group will provide standards-track specifications for a
UDP-based, stream-multiplexing, encrypted transport protocol, based on
pre-standardization implementation and deployment experience.

Key goals for QUIC are:

 - Minimizing connection establishment and overall transport latency for
 applications, starting with HTTP;

 - Providing multiplexing without head-of-line blocking;

 - Requiring only changes to path endpoints to enable deployment;

 - Enabling multipath and forward error correction extensions; and

 - Providing always-secure transport, using TLS 1.3 by default.

The work of the group will have five main focus areas, corresponding to five
core deliverables.

The first of these is the core transport work, which will describe the wire
format, along with the mechanisms for connection establishment, stream
multiplexing, data reliability, loss detection and recovery, congestion
control, and options negotiation. Work on congestion control will describe
use of a standardized congestion controller as a default scheme for QUIC.
Defining new congestion control schemes is explicitly out of scope for this
group. QUIC is expected to support rapid, distributed development and testing
of features.

The second of these focus areas is security. This work will describe how the
protocol uses TLS 1.3 for key negotiation and will also describe how those
keys are used to provide confidentiality and integrity protection of both
application data and QUIC headers. This work will ensure that QUIC has
security and privacy properties that are at least as good as a stack composed
of TLS 1.3 using TCP (or MPTCP when using multipath).

The third focus area describes the mapping between the HTTP application
protocol and the transport facilities of QUIC. This mapping will have
performance characteristics comparable with HTTP/2, and provide extension
mechanisms similar to HTTP/2. Upon completion of this mapping, work to define
additional mappings may be included by updates to this charter, or may be
worked on by other working groups.

The fourth focus area will be on extensions to core protocol facilities, to
enable datagram delivery, version negotiation, and multipath capabilities.
Other extensions are out of the scope of this charter.

The fifth focus area will provide an Applicability and Manageability
Statement, describing how, and under what circumstances, QUIC may be safely
used, and describing deployment and manageability implications of the
protocol. Additionally, the Working Group will provide guidance on how to
handle QUIC traffic in load balancers.

Current practices for network management of transport protocols include the
ability to apply access control lists (ACLs), hashing of flows for equal-cost
multipath routing (ECMP), directional signaling of flows, signaling of flow
setup and teardown, and the ability to export information about flows for
accounting purposes. The QUIC protocol need not be defined to enable each of
these abilities, or enable them in the same way as they are enabled by TCP
when used with TLS 1.3, but the working group must consider the impact of the
protocol on network management practices, reflecting the tensions described
in RFC 7258.

The QUIC working group will work closely with the HTTPbis working group,
especially on the QUIC mapping for HTTP.

Milestones:

  Jul 2020 - Core Protocol document to IESG

  Jul 2020 - Loss detection and Congestion Control document to IESG

  Jul 2020 - TLS 1.3 Mapping document to IESG

  Jul 2020 - HTTP/2 mapping document to IESG

  Jul 2020 - QUIC Applicability and Manageability Statement to IESG

  Jul 2020 - Version-Independent Properties of QUIC to IESG

  Jul 2020 - QPACK: Header Compression for HTTP over QUIC to IESG

  Dec 2020 - Working group adoption of Multipath extension document

  Mar 2021 - Datagram Extension to IESG

  Mar 2021 - Version Negotiation Extension to IESG

  Dec 2021 - Multipath extension document to IESG