Subject: RFC 8734 on Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Brainpool Curves for Transport Layer Security (TLS) Version 1.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 14:36:03 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8734

        Title:      Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Brainpool 
                    Curves for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 
                    Version 1.3 
        Author:     L. Bruckert,
                    J. Merkle,
                    M. Lochter
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       February 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-bruckert-brainpool-for-tls13-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8734

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8734

Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Brainpool curves were an option for
authentication and key exchange in the Transport Layer Security (TLS)
protocol version 1.2 but were deprecated by the IETF for use with TLS
version 1.3 because they had little usage. However, these curves have
not been shown to have significant cryptographical weaknesses, and
there is some interest in using several of these curves in TLS 1.3.

This document provides the necessary protocol mechanisms for using
ECC Brainpool curves in TLS 1.3. This approach is not endorsed by the
IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC