Subject: WG Action: Formed Reliable and Available Wireless (raw)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 12:07:06 -0800

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Routing Area. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Reliable and Available Wireless (raw)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
  Eve Schooler <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
  Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raw
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/raw/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/raw/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-raw/

Reliable and Available Wireless (RAW) provides for high reliability and
availability for IP connectivity over a wireless medium. The wireless medium
presents significant challenges to achieve deterministic properties such as
low packet error rate, bounded consecutive losses, and bounded latency. RAW
extends the DetNet Working Group concepts to provide for high reliability and
availability for an IP network utilizing scheduled wireless segments and
other media, e.g., frequency/time-sharing physical media resources with
stochastic traffic: IEEE Std. 802.15.4 timeslotted channel hopping (TSCH),
3GPP 5G ultra-reliable low latency communications (URLLC), IEEE 802.11ax/be,
and L-band Digital Aeronautical Communications System (LDACS), etc. Similar
to DetNet, RAW will stay abstract to the radio layers underneath, addressing
the Layer 3 aspects in support of applications requiring high reliability and
availability.

While DetNet solutions apply to both wireless and wired, there has been
recent industry interest for wireless applications which were not initially
included in the DetNet use cases. One critical application is Aeronautical
Data Communications. The Aeronautical standards work on a physical layer and
data link layer for data communications is reaching maturity and there is
significant interest in IP connectivity applications. Other examples of
potential wireless applications include industrial, pro audio and video,
gaming, and edge robotics.

In the interests of providing timely solutions for these newly identified
industry applications, RAW’s focus will be on specifying use cases associated
with these new applications and defining requirements derived from them. RAW
will solicit input on deployment plans, requirements, and operational
practices (including security and privacy aspects) for these newer industrial
applications. RAW’s primary focus is on identifying areas where the DetNet
adaptation to wireless networks and other IETF technologies may require
additional supporting mechanisms.

The RAW Working Group will also examine the applicability of other existing
IETF work, e.g., MANET's dynamic link exchange protocol (DLEP). The RAW
Working Group will provide input to the DetNet Working Group, MANET Working
Group, and other IETF Working Groups, and cooperate in reviewing solutions to
RAW’s identified deployment problems. RAW is not chartered to work on a
solution. If solution work is needed, the Working Group will coordinate with
the IESG to determine where the work will be done. If RAW is chosen for the
solution work, the Working Group will recharter.

The RAW Working Group is planned to be a short timeframe (12-18 months)
Working Group to quickly address these newer industry applications. The
initial milestones will be published as Informational documents: Use Cases,
Requirements, Architecture/Framework Aspects for a Wireless Network, and an
Evaluation of Existing IETF Technologies and Gap Analysis. Additional
documents may be published or exist on a git repository, the publication
format will be agreed by the Working Group at the time the document is
adopted by the group. The Use Case document may consist of one or more
documents to allow users/operators the opportunity to provide comprehensive
deployment plans for these new (to IETF) technologies, e.g., the Aeronautical
Data Communication applications. The group will closely coordinate with the
DetNet and MANET Working Groups. The work produced by this group may be of
interest to other SDOs, 3GPP, IEEE, and the Aeronautical industry.

Milestones:

  Sep 2020 - Working Group Adoption of Use Cases Document

  Sep 2020 - Working Group Adoption of Requirements Document

  Nov 2020 - Working Group Adoption of Architecture/Framework Aspects for a
  Wireless Network Document

  Nov 2020 - Use Cases Document submit to IESG

  Dec 2020 - Working Group Adoption of Evaluation of Existing IETF
  Technologies and Gap Analysis Document

  Dec 2020 - Requirements Document submit to IESG

  Apr 2021 - Architecture/Framework Aspects for a Wireless Network Document
  submit to IESG

  Jun 2021 - Evaluation of Existing IETF Technologies and Gap Analysis
  Document submit to IESG