Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07.txt> (ICMPv6 errors for discarding packets due to processing limits) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 19:34:48 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document: - 'ICMPv6 errors for discarding packets due
to processing limits'
  <draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Network nodes may discard packets if they are unable to process
   protocol headers of packets due to processing constraints or limits.
   When such packets are dropped, the sender receives no indication so
   it cannot take action to address the cause of discarded packets. This
   specification defines several new ICMPv6 errors that can be sent by a
   node that discards packets because it is unable to process the
   protocol headers. A node that receives such an ICMPv6 error may be
   able to modify what it sends in future packets to avoid subsequent
   packet discards.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.