Subject: Protocol Action: 'Deprecation of use of TLS 1.1 for Email Submission and Access' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 08:57:10 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecation of use of TLS 1.1 for Email Submission and Access'
  (draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Using TLS in Applications Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email/

Technical Summary:

  This specification updates current recommendation for the use of
  Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol to provide confidentiality of
  email between a Mail User Agent (MUA) and a Mail Submission Server or
  Mail Access Server.  This document updates RFC8314 so that the
  minimum version for TLS is TLS 1.2.

Working Group Summary:

  The initial version of this document was issued (as individual draft)
  in September 2018. The draft was adopted in November 2018.
  The support for adoption was solid. The document is very short and
  straightforward, so it was only briefly discussed in the WG 
  suggesting minor text improvements and catching nits.

Document Quality:

  This document doesn't define any new protocol, it only updates RFC8314
  by deprecating using TLS 1.1 in mail submission protocols.
  The document is straightforward.

Personnel:

  Valery Smyslov (shepherd)
  Alexey Melnikov (AD)