Subject: RFC 8739 on Support for Short-Term, Automatically Renewed (STAR) Certificates in the Automated Certificate Management Environment (ACME)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 15:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8739

        Title:      Support for Short-Term, Automatically Renewed (STAR)
                    Certificates in the Automated Certificate 
                    Management Environment (ACME) 
        Author:     Y. Sheffer, 
                    D. Lopez,
                    O. Gonzalez de Dios, 
                    A. Pastor Perales,
                    T. Fossati
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-acme-star-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8739

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8739

Public key certificates need to be revoked when they are compromised,
that is, when the associated private key is exposed to an
unauthorized entity.  However, the revocation process is often
unreliable. An alternative to revocation is issuing a sequence of
certificates, each with a short validity period, and terminating the
sequence upon compromise.  This memo proposes an Automated
Certificate Management Environment (ACME) extension to enable the
issuance of Short-Term, Automatically Renewed (STAR) X.509
certificates.

This document is a product of the Automated Certificate Management Environment Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC