Subject: Protocol Action: 'Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cost Calendar' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-alto-cost-calendar-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 06:41:31 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cost Calendar'
  (draft-ietf-alto-cost-calendar-21.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-cost-calendar/

Technical Summary

   This document is an extension to the base ALTO protocol (RFC 7785).  It 
   extends the ALTO cost information service such that applications decide 
   not only 'where' to connect, but also 'when'.  This is useful for applications
   that need to perform bulk data transfer and would like to schedule these
   transfers during an off-peak hour, for example.

Working Group Summary

   The work has been discussed extensively in the WG over the years, and the
   WG feels that the document is ready to for publication.

Document Quality

   Cost calendar is a well-know extension within the working group, having been
   first presented as an individual document on Jul 4, 2014 (individual -00
   version).  It was subsequently adopted as WG item on Jul 28, 2016.
   The work has been reviewed by at least four key WG members in the past.
   Post WGLC, version -06 of the document added a beefed up Security 
   Consideration and a new Operations Consideration section to the draft.
   Key members of the WG reviewed the latest version of the draft including these 
   two sections.

  The draft was presented to the IESG and balloted on 2018-12-04.  This balloting
  brought the draft back to the WG due to an IPR related issue leading to a second 
  WGLC.

   There is one known implementation, authored by the editor of the draft.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Vijay K. Gurbani. The responsible Area Director is
   Mirja Kühlewind.