Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-08.txt> (DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance) Extension For PSDs (Public Suffix Domains)) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:14:25 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain-based Message Authentication,
Reporting & Conformance WG (dmarc) to consider the following document: -
'DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
   Conformance) Extension For PSDs (Public Suffix Domains)'
  <draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-08.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-04-08. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
   Conformance) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
   organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
   message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
   organization can use to improve mail handling.  The design of DMARC
   presumes that domain names represent either nodes in the tree below
   which registrations occur, or nodes where registrations have
   occurred; it does not permit a domain name to have both of these
   properties simultaneously.  Since its deployment in 2015, use of
   DMARC has shown a clear need for the ability to express policy for
   these domains as well.

   Domains at which registrations can occur are referred to as Public
   Suffix Domains (PSDs).  This document describes an extension to DMARC
   to enable DMARC functionality for PSDs.

   This document also seeks to address implementations that consider a
   domain on a public Suffix list to be ineligible for DMARC
   enforcement.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-psd/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-psd/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.