Subject: Document Action: 'Multipoint Alternate Marking method for passive and hybrid performance monitoring' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 06:43:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multipoint Alternate Marking method for passive and hybrid performance
   monitoring'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-09.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark/

Technical Summary

   The Alternate Marking method, as presented in RFC 8321, can be
   applied only to point-to-point flows because it assumes that all the
   packets of the flow measured on one node are measured again by a
   single second node.  This document aims to generalize and expand this
   methodology to measure any kind of unicast flows, whose packets can
   follow several different paths in the network, in wider terms a
   multipoint-to-multipoint network.  For this reason the technique here
   described is called Multipoint Alternate Marking.

Working Group Summary

   The draft was first submitted in June 2017, has been reviewed by a fair
   number of people in the IPPM working group, has had a fair number of
   supporters, and no objections from the working group. The main comments
   included clarification questions regarding the description of the
   measurement procedure and about some of the figures in the document.
   The draft was adopted by the working group in November 2018. During
   working group last call the draft had a fair number of supporting WG
   members, with relatively minor comments, and these comments were
   addressed by the authors.

Document Quality

   The authors of this draft have implemented a prototype of the methodology
   using Open vSwitch in the Mininet emulation environment. The
   implementation is publicly available, and some experimental evaluation
   has been published by the authors ("Multipoint Passive Monitoring in Packet
   Networks", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking). The current version of
   the draft is clear, seems to have resolved all the issues, and has the consensus
   of the working group.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Tal Mizrahi, and the responsible area director is Mirja Kühlewind.