Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidelines and Registration Procedures for Interface Types and Tunnel Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-thaler-iftype-reg-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:01:54 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines and Registration Procedures for Interface Types and Tunnel
   Types'
  (draft-thaler-iftype-reg-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Suresh Krishnan.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-thaler-iftype-reg/

Technical Summary

This document identifies a number of problems with the existing ifType and tunnelType IANA registries which have arisen as their use has grown beyond the original scope for use with MIB modules (as defined in RFC2863). The document extends the applicability of RFC2863 to include YANG modules. It also contains procedures and templates for the registration of new ifType or tunnelType entries.

Working Group Summary

This document is an AD sponsored submission. It has been reviewed and discussed across several WGs (int-area, dhcwg, softwires, OPSAWG and v6ops).

Document Quality

N/A

Personnel

Ian Farrer is the Document Shepherd
Suresh Krishnan is the Responsible AD

RFC Editor Note

=> Text to be added at the end of section 7 before the start of Section 7.1

NEW:

At the time of publication of this document, IANA may not be able to perform 
some of the actions requested below due to limitations of their current platform 
and toolset. In such cases IANA is requested to perform these actions
as and when IANA completes the migration to a new platform that would enable 
these actions.