Subject: RFC 8743 on Multiple Access Management Services Multi-Access Management Services (MAMS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8743

        Title:      Multiple Access Management Services Multi-Access 
                    Management Services (MAMS) 
        Author:     S. Kanugovi, 
                    F. Baboescu,
                    J. Zhu,
                    S. Seo
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       March 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      143
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-kanugovi-intarea-mams-framework-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8743

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8743

In multiconnectivity scenarios, the clients can simultaneously
connect to multiple networks based on different access technologies
and network architectures like Wi-Fi, LTE, and DSL.  Both the quality
of experience of the users and the overall network utilization and
efficiency may be improved through the smart selection and
combination of access and core network paths that can dynamically
adapt to changing network conditions.

This document presents a unified problem statement and introduces a
solution for managing multiconnectivity.  The solution has been
developed by the authors based on their experiences in multiple
standards bodies, including the IETF and the 3GPP.  However, this
document is not an Internet Standards Track specification, and it
does not represent the consensus opinion of the IETF.

This document describes requirements, solution principles, and the
architecture of the Multi-Access Management Services (MAMS)
framework. The MAMS framework aims to provide best performance while
being easy to implement in a wide variety of multiconnectivity
deployments.  It specifies the protocol for (1) flexibly selecting
the best combination of access and core network paths for the uplink
and downlink, and (2) determining the user-plane treatment (e.g.,
tunneling, encryption) and traffic distribution over the selected
links, to ensure network efficiency and the best possible application
performance.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC