Subject: Document Action: 'Simple Certificate Enrolment Protocol' to Informational RFC (draft-gutmann-scep-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:42:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Simple Certificate Enrolment Protocol'
  (draft-gutmann-scep-15.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gutmann-scep/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies the Simple Certificate Enrolment Protocol (SCEP),
  a PKI protocol that leverages existing technology by using CMS (formerly
  known as PKCS #7) and PKCS #10 over HTTP.  SCEP is the evolution of
  the enrollment protocol sponsored by Cisco Systems, which enjoys wide
  support in client and server implementations, as well as being relied upon
  by numerous other industry standards that work with certificates.

Working Group Summary

  The document was not considered by any WG. The primary source of
  controversy related to classification as Standards track, which despite
  very wide spread use was perceived by some as detracting from
  the several other standards track enrollment protocol specifications.
 
Document Quality

  There are many existing implementations of the protocol with a significant
  number and variety of vendors providing server or client implementations.

Personnel

   Carl Wallace is the Document Shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please add the following text to the end of Section 1:

   Note that SCEP doesn't follow best current practices on usage of
   HTTP.  In particular it recommends ignoring some Media Types and
   hardcodes specific URI paths.  Guidance on the appropriate
   application of HTTP in these circumstances may be found in [16].