Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi-08.txt> (Secure Device Install) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 07:18:18 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document: - 'Secure
Device Install'
  <draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-05-06. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Deploying a new network device in a location where the operator has
   no staff of its own often requires that an employee physically travel
   to the location to perform the initial install and configuration,
   even in shared datacenters with "smart-hands" type support.  In many
   cases, this could be avoided if there were a secure way to initially
   provision the device.

   This document extends existing auto-install / Zero-Touch Provisioning
   mechanisms to make the process more secure.

   [ Ed note: Text inside square brackets ([]) is additional background
   information, answers to frequently asked questions, general musings,
   etc.  They will be removed before publication.  This document is
   being collaborated on in Github at: https://github.com/wkumari/draft-
   wkumari-opsawg-sdi.  The most recent version of the document, open
   issues, etc should all be available here.  The authors (gratefully)
   accept pull requests. ]

   [ Ed note: This document introduces concepts and serves as the basic
   for discussion - because of this, it is conversational, and would
   need to be firmed up before being published ]

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.