Subject: RFC 8753 on Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA) Review for New Unicode Versions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 23:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8753

        Title:      Internationalized Domain Names for Applications 
                    (IDNA) Review for New Unicode Versions 
        Author:     J. Klensin,
                    P. Fältström
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Updates:    RFC 5892

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-idna-unicode-review-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8753

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8753

The standards for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications
(IDNA) require a review of each new version of Unicode to determine
whether incompatibilities with prior versions or other issues exist
and, where appropriate, to allow the IETF to decide on the trade-offs
between compatibility with prior IDNA versions and compatibility with
Unicode going forward.  That requirement, and its relationship to
tables maintained by IANA, has caused significant confusion in the
past.  This document makes adjustments to the review procedure based
on experience and updates IDNA, specifically RFC 5892, to reflect
those changes and to clarify the various relationships involved.  It
also makes other minor adjustments to align that document with
experience.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC