Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-13.txt> (HTTP Client Hints) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 11:11:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the HTTP WG (httpbis) to consider the
following document: - 'HTTP Client Hints'
  <draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints-13.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-05-08. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   HTTP defines proactive content negotiation to allow servers to select
   the appropriate response for a given request, based upon the user
   agent's characteristics, as expressed in request headers.  In
   practice, clients are often unwilling to send those request headers,
   because it is not clear whether they will be used, and sending them
   impacts both performance and privacy.

   This document defines an Accept-CH response header that servers can
   use to advertise their use of request headers for proactive content
   negotiation, along with a set of guidelines for the creation of such
   headers, colloquially known as "Client Hints."

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-client-hints/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.