Subject: Document Action: 'Zstandard Compression and the application/zstd Media Type' to Informational RFC (draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:57:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Zstandard Compression and the application/zstd Media Type'
  (draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis/

Technical Summary

Zstandard, or "zstd" (pronounced "zee standard"), is a data
compression mechanism.  This document describes the mechanism and
registers a media type and content encoding to be used when
transporting zstd-compressed content via Multipurpose Internet Mail
Extensions (MIME).

Despite use of the word "standard" as part of its name, readers are
advised that this document is not an Internet Standards Track
specification; it is being published for informational purposes only.

Document Quality

This protocol is widely implemented already.  See section 9 of this
document.  Thorough review was done for RFC 8478. This is an update containing a
small number of minor corrections, mostly in errata reports.

Personnel

Subodh Iyengar is the Document Shepherd.
Barry Leiba is the Responsible Area Director.