Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider-14.txt> (Requirements for Time-Based Loss Detection) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 07:15:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
WG (tcpm) to consider the following document: - 'Requirements for Time-Based
Loss Detection'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider-14.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-06-01. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

    Many protocols must detect packet loss for various reasons (e.g., to
    ensure reliability using retransmissions or to understand the level
    of congestion along a network path).  While many mechanisms have
    been designed to detect loss, protocols ultimately can only count on
    the passage of time without delivery confirmation to declare a
    packet "lost".  Each implementation of a time-based loss detection
    mechanism represents a balance between correctness and timeliness
    and therefore no implementation suits all situations.  This document
    provides high-level requirements for time-based loss detectors
    appropriate for general use in the Internet.  Within the
    requirements, implementations have latitude to define particulars
    that best address each situation.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.