Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extended DNS Errors' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:26:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extended DNS Errors'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari, Robert Wilton and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error/

Technical Summary
  This document defines an extensible method to return additional
  information about the cause of DNS errors.  Though created primarily
  to extend SERVFAIL to provide additional information about the cause
  of DNS and DNSSEC failures, the Extended DNS Errors option defined
  in this document allows all response types to contain extended error
  information.

Working Group Summary
  The document went through a rigorous consensus process, and there were
  several points which took a few iterations to resolve, but they were
  all resolved to strong approval from the working group.

Document Quality
  There are no current implementations, but both software vendors and
  third party DNS providers are planning to implement these error codes
  now that the specifics have been agreed on.

Personnel
Document Shepherd:  Tim Wicinski
Responsible Area Director:  Barry Leiba