Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis-25.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 06:49:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules'
  (draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis-25.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfc5575bis/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a Border Gateway Protocol Network Layer
   Reachability Information (BGP NLRI) encoding format that can be used
   to distribute traffic Flow Specifications.  This allows the routing
   system to propagate information regarding more specific components of
   the traffic aggregate defined by an IP destination prefix.

   It also specifies BGP Extended Community encoding formats, that can
   be used to propagate Traffic Filtering Actions along with the Flow
   Specification NLRI.  Those Traffic Filtering Actions encode actions a
   routing system can take if the packet matches the Flow Specification.

   This document obsoletes both RFC5575 and RFC7674.

Working Group Summary

   This draft clarifies the unclear specifications in RFC5575 and provide 
   clear rules for actions which may interfere with each other. There were 
   many discussions in the WG about this specification and the future of
   flow spec and its extensibility.   The process was long and contentious 
   at times, but the consensus is strong.

Document Quality

   Implementation report can be found at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/idr/wiki/draft-ietf-rfc5575bis%20implementations

   rfc5575 has been used for more than a decade.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Jie Dong 
  Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana