Subject: BCP 190, RFC 8820 on URI Design and Ownership

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:58:34 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 190        
        RFC 8820

        Title:      URI Design and Ownership 
        Author:     M. Nottingham
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7320
        Updates:    RFC 3986
        See Also:   BCP 190

        I-D Tag:    draft-nottingham-rfc7320bis-03.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8820

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8820

Section 1.1.1 of RFC 3986 defines URI syntax as "a federated and
extensible naming system wherein each scheme's specification may
further restrict the syntax and semantics of identifiers using that
scheme."  In other words, the structure of a URI is defined by its
scheme. While it is common for schemes to further delegate their
substructure to the URI's owner, publishing independent standards
that mandate particular forms of substructure in URIs is often
problematic.

This document provides guidance on the specification of URI
substructure in standards.

This document obsoletes RFC 7320 and updates RFC 3986.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC