Subject: RFC 8792 on Handling Long Lines in Content of Internet-Drafts and RFCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8792

        Title:      Handling Long Lines in Content 
                    of Internet-Drafts and RFCs 
        Author:     K. Watsen,
                    E. Auerswald,
                    A. Farrel,
                    Q. Wu
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-netmod-artwork-folding-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8792

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8792

This document defines two strategies for handling long lines in
width-bounded text content.  One strategy, called the "single
backslash" strategy, is based on the historical use of a single
backslash ('') character to indicate where line-folding has
occurred, with the continuation occurring with the first character
that is not a space character (' ') on the next line.  The second
strategy, called the "double backslash" strategy, extends the first
strategy by adding a second backslash character to identify where the
continuation begins and is thereby able to handle cases not supported
by the first strategy.  Both strategies use a self-describing header
enabling automated reconstitution of the original content.

This document is a product of the Network Modeling Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC