Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encrypted Key Transport for DTLS and Secure RTP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 13:50:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encrypted Key Transport for DTLS and Secure RTP'
  (draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Privacy Enhanced RTP Conferencing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet/

Technical Summary

This document defines extensions to DTLS-SRTP and SRTP for securely
Transmitting SRTP master keys and related information in the 
Media path for decentralized multimedia conferences 

Working Group Summary
The current version of the specification is a streamlined 
version of draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-ekt to cater to PERC WG 
use cases. The AVTCore version of the this draft was 
extensively reviewed prior to producing this version of 
the draft in PERC WG. The version adopted by the PERC WG 
has been discussed several times and reviewed both internally 
and by security area personnel (Russ Housley, Sean Turner)

This document in general has gotten strong support from
the working group as the work that needs to be done.

Document Quality

 An early draft of EKT was implemented in many of 
Cisco telepresence products and has been widely shipped and used.
libsrtp, a widely used SRTP library in commercial and open source 
SIP  and Webrtc products, has a branch with the implementation 
for EKT. A branch of Firefox has the relevant integration for 
performing DTLS-SRTP and EKTKey setup procedures as part 
of NSS library.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Suhas Nandakumar; 
the responsible Area Director is Murray Kucherawy.