Subject: RFC 8785 on JSON Canonicalization Scheme (JCS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:08:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8785

        Title:      JSON Canonicalization Scheme (JCS) 
        Author:     A. Rundgren,
                    B. Jordan,
                    S. Erdtman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8785

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8785

Cryptographic operations like hashing and signing need the data to be
expressed in an invariant format so that the operations are reliably
repeatable.  One way to address this is to create a canonical
representation of the data.  Canonicalization also permits data to be
exchanged in its original form on the "wire" while cryptographic
operations performed on the canonicalized counterpart of the data in
the producer and consumer endpoints generate consistent results. 

This document describes the JSON Canonicalization Scheme (JCS). This
specification defines how to create a canonical representation of
JSON data by building on the strict serialization methods for JSON
primitives defined by ECMAScript, constraining JSON data to the
Internet JSON (I-JSON) subset, and by using deterministic property
sorting.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC