Subject: WG Review: Automatic SIP trunking And Peering (asap)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:10:34 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2020-06-24.

Automatic SIP trunking And Peering (asap)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  TBD

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/asap/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-asap/

The deployment of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)-based infrastructure in
enterprise and service provider communication networks has been gradually
increasing over the last few years. Consequently, direct IP peering between
enterprise and service provider networks is replacing traditional methods of
interconnection between these networks, such as analog lines and
time-division multiplexing (TDM)-based digital circuits.

Currently published standards provide a strong foundation over which direct
IP peering can be realized. However, given the sheer number of these
standards, it is often unclear which behavioural subsets, extensions to
baseline protocols and operating principles ought to be configured by the
enterprise network administrator to ensure successful IP peering with a SIP
service provider network. This lack of context often leads to
interoperability issues between enterprise and service provider SIP networks.
As a result, a significant amount of time is spent by enterprise network
administrators in troubleshooting these interoperability issues individually
or with enterprise equipment manufacturer and service provider support teams.
Consequently, there is an increase in the time taken to deploy SIP trunking
between enterprise and service provider networks.

The ASAP working group will define a descriptive capability set, which is
populated by a SIP service provider, and which, when communicated to an
enterprise network, encapsulates sufficient information to set up SIP
trunking with the service provider network. In addition to defining a
descriptive capability set, the ASAP working group will define a data model
for the capability set, a service discovery mechanism and a transport
mechanism for the capability set. The aforementioned deliverables of the ASAP
working group are collectively referred to as “SIP Auto Peer”.

The scope of the ASAP working group is:

* A capability set that encapsulates sufficient information to ensure smooth
IP peering between enterprise and service provider SIP networks.

* A data model for the capability set.

* An HTTPS-based transport mechanism for the capability set.

* A mechanism to discover the server(s) in the SIP service provider network
that hosts the capability set.

* A mechanism to extend the data model to allow the encoding of proprietary
parameters.

The following are out of scope:

* Extensions to SIP that enable an enterprise network to solicit and obtain a
descriptive capability set from a SIP service provider.

* A workflow/mechanism that allows service providers to directly configure
devices in the enterprise network.

The group will produce:

* Specification for SIP Auto Peer

This group will co-ordinate with the SIPCORE working group and the SIPConnect
efforts carried out by the SIP Forum.

Milestones:
<Date TBD> Send protocol specification to IESG