Subject: Protocol Action: 'The LoST-Validation S-NAPTR Application Service Tag' to Proposed Standard (draft-gellens-lost-validation-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:27:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The LoST-Validation S-NAPTR Application Service Tag'
  (draft-gellens-lost-validation-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gellens-lost-validation/

Technical Summary 

This document adds the "LoST-Validation" service tag to the
Straightforward Naming Authority PoinTeR (S-NAPTR) Application Service
Tag IANA registry.  This tag can appear in a Naming Authority Pointer
(NAPTR) Domain Name System (DNS) record to assist clients of the
Location-to-Service Translation Protocol (LoST) in identifying LoST
servers explicitly willing to perform location validation.  This tag and
the information on its use is an update to RFC5222 that enables the
explicit discovery of a server that supports location validation.

Working Group Summary 

This document has not been discussed in a working group. It has had
some brief discussion on the ART area mailing list, and has gone through
an IETF last call that raised issues that have been addressed, resulting
in a second last call.

LoST (RFC 5222) was originally specified by the ECRIT working group.

Document Quality 

The service tag is expected to be used by LoST products designed to be
used with the NENA i3 architecture. The service tag registration was
reviewed on the ART area mailing list, resulting in editorial comments
from Ted Hardie.

Personnel 

Ben Campbell is the Document Shepherd. Barry Leiba is the Responsible
Area Director.