Subject: Protocol Action: 'Invalid TLV Handling in IS-IS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 03:17:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Invalid TLV Handling in IS-IS'
  (draft-ietf-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Link State Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv/

Technical Summary

   Key to the extensibility of the Intermediate System to Intermediate
   System (IS-IS) protocol has been the handling of unsupported and/or
   invalid Type/Length/Value (TLV) tuples.  Although there are explicit
   statements in existing specifications, deployment experience has
   shown that there are inconsistencies in the behavior when a TLV which
   is disallowed in a particular Protocol Data Unit (PDU) is received.

   This document discusses such cases and makes the correct behavior
   explicit in order to ensure that interoperability is maximized.

Working Group Summary

   The document was well received and the process straight forward.

Document Quality

   Most implementations already follow what this document specifies. The
   implementations that do not must be updated.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Christian Hopps
   Responsible AD: Alvaro Retana