Subject: RFC 8802 on The Quality for Service (Q4S) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 06:51:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8802

        Title:      The Quality for Service (Q4S) 
                    Protocol 
        Author:     J.J. Aranda,
                    M. Cortes,
                    J. Salvachúa,
                    M. Narganes,
                    I. Martínez-Sarriegui
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       July 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      73
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-aranda-dispatch-q4s-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8802

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8802

This memo describes an application-level protocol for the
communication of end-to-end QoS compliance information based on the
HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and the Session Description
Protocol (SDP).  The Quality for Service (Q4S) protocol provides a
mechanism to negotiate and monitor latency, jitter, bandwidth, and
packet loss, and to alert whenever one of the negotiated conditions
is violated.

Implementation details on the actions to be triggered upon
reception/detection of QoS alerts exchanged by the protocol are out
of scope of this document; it is either application dependent (e.g.,
act to increase quality or reduce bit-rate) or network dependent
(e.g., change connection's quality profile).

This protocol specification is the product of research conducted over
a number of years; it is presented here as a permanent record and to
offer a foundation for future similar work.  It does not represent a
standard protocol and does not have IETF consensus.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC