Subject: RFC 8801 on Discovering Provisioning Domain Names and Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 05:42:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8801

        Title:      Discovering Provisioning Domain Names and 
                    Data 
        Author:     P. Pfister,
                    É. Vyncke,
                    T. Pauly,
                    D. Schinazi,
                    W. Shao
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-provisioning-domains-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8801

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8801

Provisioning Domains (PvDs) are defined as consistent sets of network
configuration information. PvDs allows hosts to manage connections to
multiple networks and interfaces simultaneously, such as when a home
router provides connectivity through both a broadband and cellular
network provider.

This document defines a mechanism for explicitly identifying PvDs
through a Router Advertisement (RA) option. This RA option announces
a PvD identifier, which hosts can compare to differentiate between
PvDs. The option can directly carry some information about a PvD and
can optionally point to PvD Additional Information that can be
retrieved using HTTP over TLS.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC