Subject: Protocol Action: 'MSRP over Data Channels' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel-23.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 10:24:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MSRP over Data Channels'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel-23.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies how the Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP)
   can be transported as a WebRTC data channel sub-protocol, using the
   SDP offer/answer generic data channel negotiation framework to
   establish such a channel.  Two network configurations are supported:
   connecting two MSRP over data channel endpoints; and a gateway
   configuration, connecting an MSRP over data channel endpoint with an
   MSRP over TCP or TLS endpoint.  This document updates RFC4975.

Working Group Summary

    The WG document was expired for almost a year, twice, due to unresponsive authors,
    despite repeated efforts to encourage authors and trying to find other people willing
    to take authorship. No technical controversy could be noted. The document was marked
    as dead WG document in September 2018. 3GPP delegates noticed the change of status
    and that there are references to this draft from 3GPP specifications, after which a new
    author was finally stepping up, resulting in MMUSIC re-adoption in April 2019 after
    affirmation that the new author was willing to drive the document until publication.
    Since then, progress was fairly good with multiple revisions and receiving decent review
    in the WG. One of the co-authors is also active in 3GPP standardization, which should
    help ensure that the document is suitable for the mentioned 3GPP references.

Document Quality

    There are no known implementations of the protocol beyond experimental proof-of-concept.
    Some vendors have indicated plans to implement. 3GPP TS 24.371 references this draft
    normatively when MSRP is to be supported in 3GPP WebRTC datachannel context.

    The general document structure and content follows that of
    draft-ietf-mmusic-t140-usage-data-channel (in RFC Editor's Queue at the time of writing)
    which is describing another sub-protocol (t140) to WebRTC data channel and that received
    significant review with respect to how to best structure such document.

Personnel

    Bo Burman is the Document Shepherd.
    Murray Kucherawy is the Responsible Area Director.