Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6-Only-Preferred Option for DHCPv4' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-v6only-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 11:11:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6-Only-Preferred Option for DHCPv4'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-v6only-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-v6only/

Technical Summary

This document specifies a new DHCPv4 option that a host can use to indicate to the
DHCPv4 server that it can operate in IPv6 only mode (via an appropriate transition
technology) and thus does not require an IPv4 address. The DHCPv4 server can
therefore bypass allocating an IPv4 address.

Working Group Summary

While the document was a product of the DHC WG, v6ops, and 6man, were also
involved in the initial discussion and refinement of the work. The document progressed
relatively quickly, though there were several issues debated during its development.

Document Quality

There was significant interest from both client and server software implementers.
While I am not aware of a prototype implementation, the result does closely follow
the behavior of many other DHCP actions.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Bernie Volz (DHC WG co-chair)
Responsible Area Director: Éric Vyncke

IANA Note

The IANA section is correct and clear. An early allocation from the DHCPv4 registry has been granted and should be confirmed when this document is published.