Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-09.txt> (Message Digest for DNS Zones) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 09:05:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Message Digest for DNS Zones'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-09-14. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a protocol and new DNS Resource Record that
   can be used to provide a cryptographic message digest over DNS zone
   data.  The ZONEMD Resource Record conveys the digest data in the zone
   itself.  When a zone publisher includes an ZONEMD record, recipients
   can verify the zone contents for accuracy and completeness.  This
   provides assurance that received zone data matches published data,
   regardless of how the zone data has been transmitted and received.

   ZONEMD is not designed to replace DNSSEC.  Whereas DNSSEC protects
   individual RRSets (DNS data with fine granularity), ZONEMD protects a
   zone's data as a whole, whether consumed by authoritative name
   servers, recursive name servers, or any other applications.

   As specified at this time, ZONEMD is not designed for use in large,
   dynamic zones due to the time and resources required for digest
   calculation.  The ZONEMD record described in this document is
   designed so that new digest schemes may be developed in the future to
   support large, dynamic zones.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.