Subject: Protocol Action: 'LISP Generic Protocol Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lisp-gpe-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:39:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LISP Generic Protocol Extension'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-gpe-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-gpe/

Technical Summary

This document describes extensions to the Locator/ID Separation
Protocol (LISP) Data-Plane, via changes to the LISP header, to
support multi-protocol encapsulation and allow to introduce new
protocol capabilities.

Working Group Summary

The document was first published in 2013, but because the WG was not chartered to work on
multi-protocol support the document was left to expire. Things changed with the rechartering
of the LISP WG, which now explicitly includes multi-protocol support. After the LISP WG
concluded the bulk of the work on the bis documents, representing the basic LISP Standard Track
specifications, the LISP-GPE document has been updated and the WG adopted it right away. Some
technical discussion took place concerning the way LISP-GPE boxes have to interoperate with legacy
LISP boxes, but the WG always showed support and willingness to move the document forward.
This document was previously reviewed by the IESG, due to the technical changes
which have been made, it was Last Called again and re-balloted.

Document Quality

There are three independent implementations of the proposed extensions.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

IESG Note

Notes for RFC Editor:

Section 4.4
fits better/s/fits better for
packets, Pipe model is more aligned with network virtualization/s/packets, the Pipe model is more aligned for network virtualization use.