Subject: RFC 8812 on CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE) and JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE) Registrations for Web Authentication (WebAuthn) Algorithms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 16:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8812

        Title:      CBOR Object Signing and Encryption 
                    (COSE) and JSON Object Signing and 
                    Encryption (JOSE) Registrations for
                    Web Authentication (WebAuthn) Algorithms 
        Author:     M. Jones
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8812

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8812

The W3C Web Authentication (WebAuthn) specification and the FIDO
Alliance FIDO2 Client to Authenticator Protocol (CTAP) specification
use CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE) algorithm identifiers. 
This specification registers the following algorithms (which are used
by WebAuthn and CTAP implementations) in the IANA "COSE Algorithms"
registry: RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 using SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, and
SHA-1; and Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) using
the secp256k1 curve and SHA-256.  It registers the secp256k1 elliptic
curve in the IANA "COSE Elliptic Curves" registry.  Also, for use
with JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE), it registers the
algorithm ECDSA using the secp256k1 curve and SHA-256 in the IANA
"JSON Web Signature and Encryption Algorithms" registry and the
secp256k1 elliptic curve in the IANA "JSON Web Key Elliptic Curve"
registry.

This document is a product of the CBOR Object Signing and Encryption Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC