Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05.txt> (Propagation of ARP/ND Flags in EVPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:57:57 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'Propagation of ARP/ND Flags in EVPN'
  <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-08-28. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   An EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement route can optionally carry an IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses associated with a MAC address.  Remote PEs can use
   this information to populate their ARP/ND tables on IRB interfaces or
   their proxy-ARP/ND tables in Broadcast Domains (BD).  PEs can then
   reply locally (act as an ARP/ND proxy) to IPv4 ARP requests and IPv6
   Neighbor Solicitation messages and reduce/suppress the flooding
   produced by the Address Resolution procedure.  However, the
   information conveyed in the MAC/IP route may not be enough for the
   remote PE to reply to local ARP or ND requests.  For example, if a PE
   learns an IPv6->MAC ND entry via EVPN, the PE would not know if that
   particular IPv6->MAC pair belongs to a host, a router or a host with
   an anycast address, as this information is not carried in the EVPN
   MAC/IP Advertisement routes.  Similarly, other information relevant
   to the IP->MAC ARP/ND entries may be needed.  This document defines
   an Extended Community that is advertised along with an EVPN MAC/IP
   Advertisement route and carries information relevant to the ARP/ND
   resolution, so that an EVPN PE implementing a proxy-ARP/ND function
   can reply to ARP Requests or Neighbor Solicitations with the correct
   information.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.