Subject: RFC 8889 on Multipoint Alternate-Marking Method for Passive and Hybrid Performance Monitoring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:45:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8889

        Title:      Multipoint Alternate-Marking Method for Passive 
                    and Hybrid Performance Monitoring 
        Author:     G. Fioccola, Ed.,
                    M. Cociglio,
                    A. Sapio,
                    R. Sisto
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8889

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8889

The Alternate-Marking method, as presented in RFC 8321, can only be
applied to point-to-point flows, because it assumes that all the
packets of the flow measured on one node are measured again by a
single second node. This document generalizes and expands this
methodology to measure any kind of unicast flow whose packets can
follow several different paths in the network -- in wider terms, a
multipoint-to-multipoint network.  For this reason, the technique
here described is called "Multipoint Alternate Marking".

This document is a product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC