Subject: RFC 8882 on DNS-Based Service Discovery (DNS-SD) Privacy and Security Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 10:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8882

        Title:      DNS-Based Service Discovery (DNS-SD) Privacy 
                    and Security Requirements 
        Author:     C. Huitema, D. Kaiser
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8882

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8882

DNS-SD (DNS-based Service Discovery) normally discloses information
about devices offering and requesting services. This information
includes hostnames, network parameters, and possibly a further
description of the corresponding service instance. Especially when
mobile devices engage in DNS-based Service Discovery at a public
hotspot, serious privacy problems arise. We analyze the requirements
of a privacy-respecting discovery service.

This document is a product of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC