Subject: RFC 8877 on Guidelines for Defining Packet Timestamps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:39:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8877

        Title:      Guidelines for Defining Packet Timestamps 
        Author:     T. Mizrahi,
                    J. Fabini,
                    A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8877

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8877

Various network protocols make use of binary-encoded timestamps that
are incorporated in the protocol packet format, referred to as
"packet timestamps" for short. This document specifies guidelines for
defining packet timestamp formats in networking protocols at various
layers. It also presents three recommended timestamp formats. The
target audience of this document includes network protocol designers.
It is expected that a new network protocol that requires a packet
timestamp will, in most cases, use one of the recommended timestamp
formats. If none of the recommended formats fits the protocol
requirements, the new protocol specification should specify the
format of the packet timestamp according to the guidelines in this
document.

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC