Subject: Protocol Action: 'MAC authentication for the Babel routing protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-babel-hmac-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 09:32:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MAC authentication for the Babel routing protocol'
  (draft-ietf-babel-hmac-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Babel routing protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Deborah Brungard and Martin
Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-hmac/

Technical Summary

This document describes a cryptographic authentication mechanism for
the Babel routing protocol that has provisions for replay avoidance.
It utilizes HMAC based message authentication codes (MACs).

Working Group Summary

The Babel WG was principally Chartered to produce a Standards Track
version of the Babel protocol which was originally documented in
Experimental RFCs including the basic protocol in RFC 6126 and HMAC
based authentication in RFC 7298. In working on this transition,
rfc6126bis and rfc7298bis drafts were created; however, while the
first was adopted by the WG, the WG declined to adopt the rfc7298bis
draft and an alternative babel-hmac draft was created and adopted as
draft-ietf-babel-hmac. There has been extensive discussion of hmac
security and this draft on the list and a clear consensus to approve
it.

Document Quality

There are multiple implementations of this draft. The document has
received multiple reviews and is of high quality.

Personnel

     Document Shepherd: Donald Eastlake, 3rd
     Responsible Area Director: Martin Vigoureux