Subject: RFC 8898 on Third-Party Token-Based Authentication and Authorization for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:18:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8898

        Title:      Third-Party Token-Based Authentication 
                    and Authorization 
                    for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     R. Shekh-Yusef, 
                    C. Holmberg,
                    V. Pascual
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Updates:    RFC 3261

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-token-authnz-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8898

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8898

This document defines the "Bearer" authentication scheme for the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and a mechanism by which user
authentication and SIP registration authorization is delegated to a
third party, using the OAuth 2.0 framework and OpenID Connect Core
1.0.  This document updates RFC 3261 to provide guidance on how a SIP
User Agent Client (UAC) responds to a SIP 401/407 response that
contains multiple WWW-Authenticate/Proxy-Authenticate header fields.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC