Subject: RFC 8883 on ICMPv6 Errors for Discarding Packets Due to Processing Limits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 15:56:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8883

        Title:      ICMPv6 Errors for Discarding Packets 
                    Due to Processing Limits 
        Author:     T. Herbert
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8883

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8883

Network nodes may discard packets if they are unable to process
protocol headers of packets due to processing constraints or limits.
When such packets are dropped, the sender receives no indication, so
it cannot take action to address the cause of discarded packets. This
specification defines several new ICMPv6 errors that can be sent by a
node that discards packets because it is unable to process the
protocol headers. A node that receives such an ICMPv6 error may use
the information to diagnose packet loss and may modify what it sends
in future packets to avoid subsequent packet discards.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC