Subject: RFC 8886 on Secure Device Install

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 16:17:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8886

        Title:      Secure Device Install 
        Author:     W. Kumari,
                    C. Doyle
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-sdi-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8886

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8886

Deploying a new network device in a location where the operator has
no staff of its own often requires that an employee physically travel
to the location to perform the initial install and configuration,
even in shared facilities with "remote-hands" (or similar) support.
In many cases, this could be avoided if there were an easy way to
transfer the initial configuration to a new device while still
maintaining confidentiality of the configuration.

This document extends existing vendor proprietary auto-install to
provide limited confidentiality to initial configuration during
bootstrapping of the device.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC