Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-10.txt> (Temporary Address Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 15:53:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document: - 'Temporary Address Extensions for
Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   in IPv6'
  <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-09-23. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes an extension that causes nodes to generate
   global scope addresses with randomized interface identifiers that
   change over time.  Changing global scope addresses over time limits
   the window of time during which eavesdroppers and other information
   collectors may trivially perform address-based network activity
   correlation when the same address is employed for multiple
   transactions by the same node.  Additionally, it reduces the window
   of exposure of a node via an address that becomes revealed as a
   result of active communication.  This document obsoletes RFC4941.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.