Subject: BCP 233, RFC 8961 on Requirements for Time-Based Loss Detection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 17:24:47 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 233        
        RFC 8961

        Title:      Requirements for Time-Based Loss Detection 
        Author:     M. Allman
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        See Also:   BCP 233

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8961

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8961

Many protocols must detect packet loss for various reasons (e.g., to
ensure reliability using retransmissions or to understand the level
of congestion along a network path).  While many mechanisms have been
designed to detect loss, ultimately, protocols can only count on the
passage of time without delivery confirmation to declare a packet
"lost". Each implementation of a time-based loss detection mechanism
represents a balance between correctness and timeliness; therefore,
no implementation suits all situations.  This document provides
high-level requirements for time-based loss detectors appropriate for
general use in unicast communication across the Internet.  Within the
requirements, implementations have latitude to define particulars
that best address each situation.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC