Subject: Protocol Action: 'JSCalendar: A JSON representation of calendar data' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar-32.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 02:18:38 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JSCalendar: A JSON representation of calendar data'
  (draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar-32.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Calendaring Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar/

Technical Summary
This specification defines a data model and JSON representation of
calendar data that can be used for storage and data exchange in a
calendaring and scheduling environment.  It aims to be an alternative,
and over time successor to, the widely deployed iCalendar data format
and to be unambiguous, extendable and simple to process.  In contrast to
the JSON-based jCal format, it is not a direct mapping from iCalendar
and expands semantics where appropriate.

Working Group Summary
There were no controversy. Though the draft is defining an important
change for calendar objects. The document did not raise any opposition.
In addition, this document undergo a significant number of reviews, and
lots of discussions happened at the IETF as well as during Calconnect
meetings. Calconnect discussions have been reported by the co-authors as
well as during interim meetings organized during Calconnect sessions. 

Document Quality
There are a number of implementations.  FastMail, has multiple
implementations that works for beta users. This includes a perl
implementation. The open-source Cyrus IMAP project includes a C
implementation to translate from and to iCalendar. I suspect other
implementations are developped and deployed including 

Personnel
Daniel Migault is the document shepherd and Barry Leiba is the
responsible AD.