Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extended BGP Administrative Shutdown Communication' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-rfc8203bis-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 21:05:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extended BGP Administrative Shutdown Communication'
  (draft-ietf-idr-rfc8203bis-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfc8203bis/

Technical Summary

    This document enhances the BGP Cease NOTIFICATION message
   "Administrative Shutdown" and "Administrative Reset" subcodes for
   operators to transmit a short freeform message to describe why a BGP
   session was shutdown or reset.  This document updates RFC 4486 and
   obsoletes RFC 8203 by defining an Extended BGP Administrative
   Shutdown Communication to improve communication using multibyte
   character sets.

Working Group Summary

   Good support in both idr and grow.

Document Quality

   At least 3 implementations are known.  This update resulted from 
   operational feedback.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd:  Susan Hares 
  Responsible Area Director: Alvaro Retana