Subject: Protocol Action: 'Temporary Address Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 07:39:13 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Temporary Address Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   in IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rfc4941bis/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an extension that causes nodes to generate
   global scope addresses with randomized interface identifiers that
   change over time.  Changing global scope addresses over time limits
   the window of time during which eavesdroppers and other information
   collectors may trivially perform address-based network activity
   correlation when the same address is employed for multiple
   transactions by the same node.  Additionally, it reduces the window
   of exposure of a node via an addresses that becomes revealed as a
   result of active communication.  This document obsoletes RFC4941.

Working Group Summary

   This document is an update of RFC4941. The document
   shepherd has reviewed every change to the document as it
   has processed as well as a thorough read through of the
   whole final document.

Document Quality

   There are multiple implementations of the mechanism described.

Personnel

   Ole Trøan is the document shepherd.
   Erik Kline is the responsible AD.