Subject: RFC 8948 on Structured Local Address Plan (SLAP) Quadrant Selection Option for DHCPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 19:02:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8948

        Title:      Structured Local Address Plan (SLAP) 
                    Quadrant Selection Option for DHCPv6 
        Author:     CJ. Bernardos,
                    A. Mourad
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8948

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8948

The IEEE originally structured the 48-bit Media Access Control (MAC)
address space in such a way that half of it was reserved for local
use. In 2017, the IEEE published a new standard (IEEE Std 802c) with
a new optional Structured Local Address Plan (SLAP). It specifies
different assignment approaches in four specified regions of the
local MAC address space. 

The IEEE is developing protocols to assign addresses (IEEE P802.1CQ).
There is also work in the IETF on specifying a new mechanism that
extends DHCPv6 operation to handle the local MAC address assignments.

This document proposes extensions to DHCPv6 protocols to enable a
DHCPv6 client or a DHCPv6 relay to indicate a preferred SLAP quadrant
to the server so that the server may allocate MAC addresses in the
quadrant requested by the relay or client. A new DHCPv6 option (QUAD)
is defined for this purpose.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC