Subject: Last Call: <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> (Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 07:08:57 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - 'Security Considerations for Transient Numeric
Identifiers Employed in
   Network Protocols'
  <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-01-04. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Poor selection of transient numerical identifiers in protocols such
   as the TCP/IP suite has historically led to a number of attacks on
   implementations, ranging from Denial of Service (DoS) to data
   injection and information leakage that can be exploited by pervasive
   monitoring.  To prevent such flaws in future protocols and
   implementations, this document updates RFC 3552, requiring future
   RFCs to contain analysis of the security and privacy properties of
   any transient numeric identifiers specified by the protocol.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.