Subject: Last Call: <draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-06.txt> (Zstandard Compression and the application/zstd Media Type) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 11:46:14 -0800

The subject document: - 'Zstandard Compression and the application/zstd Media
Type'
  <draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-06.txt> went through last call in January 2020
at revision -03, was approved by the IESG in April at revision -05, and went to
the RFC Editor at that time.  During final editing (AUTH48), a new errata report
(6303) was filed on RFC 8478, and the document authors and responsible AD
agreed that it was important to incorporate a fix for that errata report in this
update.

The fix is in revision -06, and affects Section 3.1.1.5.  You can see the diffs here:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-06
We are making an additional IETF Last Call on this version so that the community
can review and comment on these late changes.  After completion of this Last
Call, we expect to return the document to the RFC Editor so that they may
complete their editing and publish this version as an Informational RFC.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-01-19. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Zstandard, or "zstd" (pronounced "zee standard"), is a data
   compression mechanism.  This document describes the mechanism and
   registers a media type and content encoding to be used when
   transporting zstd-compressed content via Multipurpose Internet Mail
   Extensions (MIME).  It also registers a corresponding media type,
   content encoding, and structured syntax suffix.

   Despite use of the word "standard" as part of its name, readers are
   advised that this document is not an Internet Standards Track
   specification; it is being published for informational purposes only.

   This document replaces and obsoletes RFC 8478.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.