Subject: RFC 8947 on Link-Layer Address Assignment Mechanism for DHCPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 19:02:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8947

        Title:      Link-Layer Address Assignment Mechanism for 
                    DHCPv6 
        Author:     B. Volz, 
                    T. Mrugalski,
                    C. Bernardos
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-mac-assign-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8947

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8947

In certain environments, e.g., large-scale virtualization
deployments, new devices are created in an automated manner. Such
devices may have their link-layer addresses assigned in an automated
fashion. With sufficient scale, the likelihood of a collision using
random assignment without duplication detection is not acceptable.
Therefore, an allocation mechanism is required. This document
proposes an extension to DHCPv6 that allows a scalable approach to
link-layer address assignments where preassigned link-layer address
assignments (such as by a manufacturer) are not possible or are
unnecessary.

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC