Subject: RFC 8853 on Using Simulcast in Session Description Protocol (SDP) and RTP Sessions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:54:11 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8853

        Title:      Using Simulcast in Session Description 
                    Protocol (SDP) and RTP Sessions 
        Author:     B. Burman,
                    M. Westerlund,
                    S. Nandakumar,
                    M. Zanaty
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-simulcast-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8853

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8853

In some application scenarios, it may be desirable to send multiple
differently encoded versions of the same media source in different
RTP streams. This is called simulcast. This document describes how to
accomplish simulcast in RTP and how to signal it in the Session
Description Protocol (SDP).  The described solution uses an RTP/RTCP
identification method to identify RTP streams belonging to the same
media source and makes an extension to SDP to indicate that those RTP
streams are different simulcast formats of that media source. The SDP
extension consists of a new media-level SDP attribute that expresses
capability to send and/or receive simulcast RTP streams.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC