Subject: RFC 8840 on A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Usage for Incremental Provisioning of Candidates for the Interactive Connectivity Establishment (Trickle ICE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:32:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8840

        Title:      A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Usage
                    for Incremental Provisioning of Candidates 
                    for the Interactive Connectivity Establishment 
                    (Trickle ICE) 
        Author:     E. Ivov,
                    T. Stach,
                    E. Marocco,
                    C. Holmberg
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-trickle-ice-sip-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8840

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8840

The Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) protocol describes a
Network Address Translator (NAT) traversal mechanism for UDP-based
multimedia sessions established with the Offer/Answer model. The ICE
extension for Incremental Provisioning of Candidates (Trickle ICE)
defines a mechanism that allows ICE Agents to shorten session
establishment delays by making the candidate gathering and
connectivity checking phases of ICE non-blocking and by executing
them in parallel. 

This document defines usage semantics for Trickle ICE with the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).  The document also defines a new
SIP Info Package to support this usage together with the
corresponding media type.  Additionally, a new Session Description
Protocol (SDP) "end-of-candidates" attribute and a new SIP option tag
"trickle-ice" are defined.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC