Subject: RFC 8863 on Interactive Connectivity Establishment Patiently Awaiting Connectivity (ICE PAC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:46:54 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8863

        Title:      Interactive Connectivity Establishment 
                    Patiently Awaiting Connectivity (ICE PAC)
        Author:     C. Holmberg,
                    J. Uberti
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Updates:    RFC 8445, RFC 8838

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ice-pac-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8863

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8863

During the process of establishing peer-to-peer connectivity,
Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) agents can encounter
situations where they have no candidate pairs to check, and, as a
result, conclude that ICE processing has failed. However, because
additional candidate pairs can be discovered during ICE processing,
declaring failure at this point may be premature. This document
discusses when these situations can occur. 

This document updates RFCs 8445 and 8838 by requiring that an ICE
agent wait a minimum amount of time before declaring ICE failure,
even if there are no candidate pairs left to check.

This document is a product of the Interactive Connectivity Establishment Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC