Subject: Protocol Action: 'The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:03:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute'
  (draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-22.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps/

Technical Summary

   RFC 5512 defines a BGP Path Attribute known as the "Tunnel
   Encapsulation Attribute".  This attribute allows one to specify a set
   of tunnels.   RFC 5512 states that the attribute is
   only carried in BGP UPDATEs that use the "Encapsulation Subsequent
   Address Family (Encapsulation SAFI)".  This document deprecates the
   Encapsulation SAFI (which has never been used in production), and
   specifies semantics for the attribute when it is carried in UPDATEs
   of certain other SAFIs.  This document adds support for additional
   Tunnel Types, and allows a remote tunnel endpoint address to be
   specified for each tunnel.   

   This document obsoletes RFC 5512.  Since RFCs 5566 and 5640 rely on
   RFC 5512, they are likewise obsoleted.

Working Group Summary
	
        This document has had a long life in the idr WG, including two  
        WGLCs that have resulted in discussion and updates to the document.
	Subsequent to the second WGLC, further issues were reported by
	implementors (this is why IDR has an implementation requirement!).
    
Document Quality

   Implementations are recorded here: https://trac.ietf.org/trac/idr/wiki/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps%20implementations

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Sue Hares.
   The responsible AD is Alvaro Retana.