Subject: BCP 228, RFC 8862 on Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:46:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 228        
        RFC 8862

        Title:      Best Practices for Securing RTP Media 
                    Signaled with SIP 
        Author:     J. Peterson,
                    R. Barnes,
                    R. Housley
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        See Also:   BCP 228

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8862

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8862

Although the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) includes a suite of
security services that has been expanded by numerous specifications
over the years, there is no single place that explains how to use SIP
to establish confidential media sessions. Additionally, existing
mechanisms have some feature gaps that need to be identified and
resolved in order for them to address the pervasive monitoring threat
model. This specification describes best practices for negotiating
confidential media with SIP, including a comprehensive protection
solution that binds the media layer to SIP layer identities.

This document is a product of the SIP Best-practice Recommendations Against Network Dangers to privacY Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC