Subject: Last Call: <draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation-07.txt> (5G Wireless Wireline Convergence User Plane Encapsulation (5WE)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 06:52:50 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the
following document: - '5G Wireless Wireline Convergence User Plane
Encapsulation (5WE)'
  <draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation-07.txt> as Informational RFC

This requests the start of a 2nd IETF Last Call with the intent of expressly calling 
attention to the IPR claim associated with this document 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3663/).

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-02-05. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   As part of providing wireline access to the 5G Core (5GC), deployed
   wireline networks carry user data between 5G residential gateways
   and the 5G Access Gateway Function (AGF). The encapsulation method
   specified in this document supports the multiplexing of traffic for
   multiple PDU sessions within a VLAN delineated access circuit,
   permits legacy equipment in the data path to inspect certain packet
   fields, carries 5G QoS information associated with the packet data,
   and provides efficient encoding. It achieves this by specific points
   of similarity with the RFC 2516 PPPoE data packet encapsulation.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3663/