Subject: Document Action: '5G Wireless Wireline Convergence User Plane Encapsulation (5WE)' to Informational RFC (draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:57:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- '5G Wireless Wireline Convergence User Plane Encapsulation (5WE)'
  (draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Erik Kline.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-allan-5g-fmc-encapsulation/

Technical Summary

   As part of providing wireline access to the 5G Core (5GC), deployed  
   wireline networks carry user data between 5G residential gateways  
   and the 5G Access Gateway Function (AGF). The encapsulation method  
   specified in this document supports the multiplexing of traffic for 
   multiple PDU sessions within a VLAN delineated access circuit, 
   permits legacy equipment in the data path to snoop certain packet 
   fields, carries 5G QoS information associated with the packet data, 
   and provides efficient encoding.

Working Group Summary

   AD-sponsoring this document for 5G/BBF extensions to PPPoE. Consulted
   with intarea-wg chairs and one other IETF member who also participates in
   BBF.  Last call of -04 passed with minor comments incorporated into -05.

Document Quality

    There are no known implementations at this point. A number of vendors
    (Juniper, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE, Intel) have indicated interest in the
    specification in the BBF.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Erik Kline
   Responsible Area Director: Erik Kline
   Designated Expert for new registry: Donald Eastlake.

IESG Note

   Creates a registry for some PPPoE values where there arguably should
   have been a registry before.

IANA Note

   This document creates an Expert Review IANA Registry for PPP
   over Ethernet version numbers. Any expert(s) appointed for this
   registry should be knowledgeable in PPP and Ethernet. Donald
   Eastlake has volunteered to be an Expert.