Subject: Protocol Action: 'Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Control-Plane' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-30.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:30:17 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Control-Plane'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis-30.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis/

Technical Summary

This document describes the Control-Plane and Mapping Service for the
Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP), implemented by two new types
of LISP-speaking devices -- the LISP Map-Resolver and LISP Map-Server
-- that provides a simplified "front end" for one or more Endpoint ID
to Routing Locator mapping databases.

Working Group Summary

The WG has showed support to the document from its first submission as
individual draft and adopted it right away. On the technical side there was
agreement in the WG and little discussion took place, mainly related on including
some features/improvements not present in RFC 6833 and adding text that originally
was in the LISP data-plane document. On the organization of the document, more
specifically on what to put in the data-plane document and what to put in the
control-plane document, there has been quite some discussion. This
document was previously reviewed by the IESG, due to the technical changes
which have been made, it was Last Called again and re-balloted.

Document Quality

There are at least three independent implementations of the LISP control-plane.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>

   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>