Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization-06.txt> (Port Randomization in the Network Time Protocol Version 4) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 06:35:34 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network Time Protocol WG (ntp) to
consider the following document: - 'Port Randomization in the Network Time
Protocol Version 4'
  <draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-02-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Network Time Protocol can operate in several modes.  Some of
   these modes are based on the receipt of unsolicited packets, and
   therefore require the use of a well-known port as the local port
   number.  However, in the case of NTP modes where the use of a well-
   known port is not required, employing such well-known port
   unnecessarily increases the ability of attackers to perform blind/
   off-path attacks.  This document formally updates RFC5905,
   recommending the use of transport-protocol ephemeral port
   randomization for those modes where use of the NTP well-known port is
   not required.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-port-randomization/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.