Subject: Reminder: chat service trials

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:37:37 -0600

As noted below, we are continuing with the chat services trial through 
IETF 110.

If you have been using a chat service other than xmpp at, for instance, 
interim meetings, please share your experiences at [email-masked]

We would like to see more discussion of these questions:

* Is providing local jabber accounts and a web interface to jabber 
sufficient to address the access issues encountered in the past?

* Are there features that matrix or zulip provide that are truly helpful 
for progressing IETF work? If so, please describe how they are helping.

Please explore the services during IETF 110. We anticipate taking them 
down and making a decision about what we will support in the long run 
shortly after.

RjS

On 12/11/20 1:00 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
>
> We have been running trial zulip, matrix, and xmpp services since 
> October.
> See
> <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ietf-announce/?q=%22trial%20chat%22> 
>
>
> As noted in those announcements, the issue that we are trying to 
> address is the difficulty people have been reporting obtaining jabber 
> services and clients. We are hopeful that these trials will help the 
> community develop a better sense of whether to focus on improving the 
> experiences with xmpp or to pursue other chat solutions. We are also 
> open to the possibility that these other solutions may be worth 
> operating in addition to improving the experiences from xmpp.
>
> However, usage and feedback so far has not been sufficient to inform 
> what services we should run in the future.
>
> We had around 50 local jabber accounts created on 
> xmpp-trial1.ietf.org, and around 40 accounts were created on each of 
> the matrix and zulip services.
> Few rooms have been created on the matrix service other than those 
> bridging to xmpp.
> Few streams were created on the zulip service other than those 
> bridging to xmpp and those ingesting a few mailing lists.
>
> We are not aware of anyone trying to use the zulip or matrix servers 
> for ietf work outside the main meeting.
>
> If you've used the services, please take a few minutes to provide 
> feedback at [email-masked].
>
> Is providing local jabber accounts and a web interface to jabber 
> sufficient?
> Are there features that matrix or zulip provide that are truly helpful 
> for progressing IETF work? If so, please describe how they are helping.
>
> To collect more feedback, we are planning to extend the trials through 
> IETF 110. Please take advantage of these services between now and then 
> (at interim meetings for example) and let us know what you find to be 
> effective.
>
> If you are interested in using these services more directly for your 
> group's day-to-day communication, and are willing to test one or both 
> of these services on a primary basis for a while, please coordinate 
> with the appropriate leadership and let the tools team know so we can 
> help accommodate.  Please consider using these services for ad-hoc, 
> design-team meetings, and even interims (again, coordinating with the 
> appropriate leadership).
>
> If you have had issues using Jabber in the past, please take some time 
> now to work with these new services and describe whether they improve 
> your experience.
>
> We need more feedback about these services to develop a sense of what 
> will best meet the community's needs going forward. Please engage in 
> exploring and discussing them at [email-masked].
>
> While exploring, feel free to use the trial1-feedback room on Matrix 
> and the trial1-feedback stream on Zulip.
>
> Thanks again to the volunteers that have been helping configure these 
> services and keep them going.
>
> Robert Sparks, Tools Team Chair
>
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce