Subject: RFC 8816 on Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) Out-of-Band Architecture and Use Cases

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:49:27 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8816

        Title:      Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) 
                    Out-of-Band Architecture and Use Cases 
        Author:     E. Rescorla,
                    J. Peterson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-stir-oob-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8816

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8816

The Personal Assertion Token (PASSporT) format defines a token that
can be carried by signaling protocols, including SIP, to
cryptographically attest the identity of callers. However, not all
telephone calls use Internet signaling protocols, and some calls use
them for only part of their signaling path, while some cannot
reliably deliver SIP header fields end-to-end. This document
describes use cases that require the delivery of PASSporT objects
outside of the signaling path, and defines architectures and
semantics to provide this functionality.

This document is a product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC