Subject: RFC 8878 on Zstandard Compression and the 'application/zstd' Media Type

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 22:44:42 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8878

        Title:      Zstandard Compression and the 'application/zstd' 
                    Media Type 
        Author:     Y. Collet,
                    M. Kucherawy, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Obsoletes:  RFC 8478

        I-D Tag:    draft-kucherawy-rfc8478bis-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8878

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8878

Zstandard, or "zstd" (pronounced "zee standard"), is a lossless data
compression mechanism.  This document describes the mechanism and
registers a media type, content encoding, and a structured syntax
suffix to be used when transporting zstd-compressed content via MIME.

Despite use of the word "standard" as part of Zstandard, readers are
advised that this document is not an Internet Standards Track
specification; it is being published for informational purposes only.

This document replaces and obsoletes RFC 8478.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC