Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-19.txt> (Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:39:58 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Considerations around
Transport Header Confidentiality, Network
   Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-19.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-02-19. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   To protect user data and privacy, Internet transport protocols have
   supported payload encryption and authentication for some time.  Such
   encryption and authentication is now also starting to be applied to
   the transport protocol headers.  This helps avoid transport protocol
   ossification by middleboxes, mitigate attacks against the transport
   protocol, and protect metadata about the communication.  Current
   operational practice in some networks inspect transport header
   information within the network, but this is no longer possible when
   those transport headers are encrypted.

   This document discusses the possible impact when network traffic uses
   a protocol with an encrypted transport header.  It suggests issues to
   consider when designing new transport protocols or features.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.