Subject: Results of IETF-conflict review for draft-atkins-suit-cose-walnutdsa-07

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 14:42:06 -0800

The IESG has completed a review of draft-atkins-suit-cose-walnutdsa-07
consistent with RFC5742.

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Use of the Walnut Digital
Signature Algorithm with CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE)'
<draft-atkins-suit-cose-walnutdsa-07.txt> as an Informational RFC.

The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done in WG
COSE, but this relationship does not prevent publishing.

Additionally, the IESG requests the following note be added to the document
if it is published:

This document proposes a cryptographic signature algorithm that is claimed to
be "post-quantum secure". The IETF takes no position on these claims.
Development of such algorithms is an active topic of great interest to the
Internet community, but the IETF has chosen to defer selection and
publication of "post-quantum secure" algorithms until after the conclusion of
the NIST "Post-Quantum Cryptography" Project
(https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/post-quantum-cryptography). The
NIST-sponsored endeavor (whose participants include cryptographic experts
from around the world) provides substantially more cryptographic expertise
than is available solely within the IETF, and the IESG believes it is in the
best interest of the Internet community to take advantage of the in-depth
cryptographic reviews performed during the NIST project before selecting
"post-quantum secure" algorithms for standardization.

The IESG would also like the Independent Submissions Editor to review the
comments in the datatracker related to this document and determine whether or
not they merit incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both
the ballot and the history log.

The IESG review is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/conflict-review-atkins-suit-cose-walnutdsa/

A URL of the reviewed Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-atkins-suit-cose-walnutdsa/

The process for such documents is described at
https://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary