Subject: Moved to Historic: RFC 6108 on Comcast's Web Notification System Design

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

RFC 6108 has been reclassified as Historic.

        RFC 6108

        Title:      Comcast's Web Notification System Design 
        Author:     C. Chung,
                    A. Kasyanov,
                    J. Livingood,
                    N. Mody,
                    B. Van Lieu
        Status:     Historic
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       February 2011
        Pages:      24
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-livingood-web-notification-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6108

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC6108

The objective of this document is to describe a method of providing
critical end-user notifications to web browsers, which has been
deployed by Comcast, an Internet Service Provider (ISP).  Such a
notification system is being used to provide near-immediate
notifications to customers, such as to warn them that their traffic
exhibits patterns that are indicative of malware or virus infection.
There are other proprietary systems that can perform such
notifications, but those systems utilize Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
technology.  In contrast to DPI, this document describes a system
that does not rely upon DPI, and is instead based in open IETF
standards and open source applications.  

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC