Subject: Protocol Action: Security Services for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) to Internet Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 17:19:10 -0800

The IESG has approved changing the status of the following document:
- Security Services for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)
  (rfc7481) to Internet Standard

This protocol action is documented at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-rdap-to-internet-standard/

A URL of the affected document is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7481/

Status Change Details:

RFCs 7480 ("HTTP Usage in the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)")
and 7481 ("Security Services for the Registration Data Access Protocol
(RDAP)") were published as Proposed Standards in March, 2015, along with
RFCs 7482 ("Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) Query Format"), 7483
("JSON Responses for the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP)"), and
7484 ("Finding the Authoritative Registration Data (RDAP) Service"). RFCs
7482 and 7483 have been updated to address known errata and necessary
clarifications based on implementation experience, and the 7482bis and
7483bis Internet-Draft documents are on track for approval as Internet
Standards. A revision of RFC 7484 is being considered by the REGEXT
working group for submission as Internet Standard.

RDAP is fully deployed and operational at all five Regional Address
Registries. RDAP implementation and operation is a contractual requirement
for all ICANN-accredited domain name registries and 2,370 registrars. The
IANA "Bootstrap Service Registry for Domain Name Space" describes 820 unique
RDAP base URLs that are are associated with several thousand generic
top-level and country code domain name RDAP servers that are operated by
domain name registries.

While it is a stated goal in RFC 7480 that "RDAP is a successor protocol to
the very old WHOIS protocol," WHOIS remains widely deployed and in active
use, and is likely to be so for some time.  This action addresses only the
maturity of RDAP itself, and makes no statement nor implication about WHOIS.

RFCs 7480 and 7481 have no verified errata, and no known issues that require
that the documents be revised prior to a change in status from Proposed
Standard to Internet Standard. The RFC 6410 requirements for "at least two
independent interoperating implementations with widespread deployment and
successful operational experience" and "no unused features in the
specification that greatly increase implementation complexity" have been
met. This status change, therefore, requests a change in status for RFCs
7480 and 7481 from Proposed Standard to Internet Standard.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.