Subject: Protocol Action: 'Updating the IANA MPLS LSP Ping Parameters' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 06:57:28 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Updating the IANA MPLS LSP Ping Parameters'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update/

Technical Summary

This document updates RFC 8029 and RFC 8611 which both define IANA
registries for MPLS Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping, in particular the
registration procedure "Private Use" (previously know as "Vendor
Private Use") is changed to "First Come, First Served" for the TLV and
Sub-TLV Registries.

It also updates the description of the procedures for the responses
sent when an unknown or erroneous code point is found.  The updates
are to clarify and align this namespace with recent developments,
e.g. the updates to " Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations
Section in RFCs" (e.g.  RFC 8126), instead of the terminology from
the obsoleted RFC 5226.

Working Group Summary

It was somewhat hard to get WG review for what is a dry procedural
document.  However, after poking the group several times we got enough
review to know that the document is sound, and there were no negative
comments. 

Document Quality

There's nothing here to implement.  The judge of the document is whether
IANA can understand it well enough to implement it, and whether the WG
agrees with the intention.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Adrian Farrel  
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard

RFC Editor's Note

Abstract:
esarlier/s/previously
"First Come, First Served" the TLV/s/"First Come, First Served" for the TLV
Introduction:
points soon as this/s/points as soon as this