Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-ext-opt-param-11.txt> (Extended Optional Parameters Length for BGP OPEN Message) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 12:18:23 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'Extended Optional Parameters Length for
BGP OPEN Message'
  <draft-ietf-idr-ext-opt-param-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-04-09. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Optional Parameters in the BGP OPEN message as defined in the
   base BGP specification are limited to 255 octets due to a one-octet
   length field.  BGP Capabilities are carried in this field and may
   foreseeably exceed 255 octets in the future, leading to concern about
   this limitation.

   This document updates RFC 4271 by extending, in a backward-compatible
   manner, the length of the Optional Parameters in the BGP OPEN.  The
   Parameter Length field of individual Optional Parameters is also
   extended.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-ext-opt-param/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.