Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-06.txt> (An ACME Profile for Generating Delegated STAR Certificates) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 04:54:43 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Automated Certificate Management
Environment WG (acme) to consider the following document: - 'An ACME Profile
for Generating Delegated STAR Certificates'
  <draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-03-22. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo proposes a profile of the ACME protocol that allows the
   owner of an identifier (e.g., a domain name) to delegate to a third
   party access to a certificate associated with said identifier.  A
   primary use case is that of a CDN (the third party) terminating TLS
   sessions on behalf of a content provider (the owner of a domain
   name).  The presented mechanism allows the owner of the identifier to
   retain control over the delegation and revoke it at any time by
   cancelling the associated STAR certificate renewal with the ACME CA.
   Another key property of this mechanism is it does not require any
   modification to the deployed TLS ecosystem.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.