Subject: RFC 8962 on Establishing the Protocol Police

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 11:27:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC  

        Title:      Establishing the Protocol Police 
        Author:     G. Grover,
                    N. ten Oever,
                    C. Cath,
                    S. Sahib
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       1 April 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-protocolpolice-01.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8962

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8962

One mantra of the IETF is, "We are not the Protocol Police."
However, to ensure that protocols are implemented and deployed in
full compliance with the IETF's standards, it is important to set up
a body that is responsible for assessing and enforcing correct
protocol behavior.

This document formally establishes the Protocol Police.  It defines
the body and sets out what aspects of IETF protocols they will
police.  This document acts as a point of reference for networking
engineers, law enforcement officials, government representatives, and
others.  It also provides advice on how to report issues to the
Protocol Police.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC