Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-14.txt> (RTP-mixer formatting of multi-party Real-time text) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:49:31 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document: - 'RTP-mixer
formatting of multi-party Real-time text'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-05-03. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Enhancements for RFC 4103 real-time text mixing are provided in this
   document, suitable for a centralized conference model that enables
   source identification and rapidly interleaved transmission of text
   from different sources.  The intended use is for real-time text
   mixers and participant endpoints capable of providing an efficient
   presentation or other treatment of a multi-party real-time text
   session.  The specified mechanism builds on the standard use of the
   CSRC list in the RTP packet for source identification.  The method
   makes use of the same "text/t140" and "text/red" formats as for two-
   party sessions.

   Solutions using multiple RTP streams in the same RTP session are
   briefly mentioned, as they could have some benefits over the RTP-
   mixer model.  The possibility to implement the solution in a wide
   range of existing RTP implementations made the RTP-mixer model be
   selected to be fully specified in this document.

   A capability exchange is specified so that it can be verified that a
   mixer and a participant can handle the multi-party coded real-time
   text stream using the RTP-mixer method.  The capability is indicated
   by use of an SDP media attribute "rtt-mixer".

   The document updates RFC 4103 "RTP Payload for Text Conversation".

   A specification of how a mixer can format text for the case when the
   endpoint is not multi-party aware is also provided.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-party-rtt-mix/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.