Subject: RFC 9012 on The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:06:59 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9012

        Title:      The BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute 
        Author:     K. Patel,
                    G. Van de Velde,
                    S. Sangli,
                    J. Scudder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5512, RFC 5566
        Updates:    RFC 5640

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-22.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9012

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9012

This document defines a BGP path attribute known as the "Tunnel
Encapsulation attribute", which can be used with BGP UPDATEs of
various Subsequent Address Family Identifiers (SAFIs) to provide
information needed to create tunnels and their corresponding
encapsulation headers. It provides encodings for a number of tunnel
types, along with procedures for choosing between alternate tunnels
and routing packets into tunnels.

This document obsoletes RFC 5512, which provided an earlier
definition of the Tunnel Encapsulation attribute. RFC 5512 was never
deployed in production. Since RFC 5566 relies on RFC 5512, it is
likewise obsoleted. This document updates RFC 5640 by indicating that
the Load-Balancing Block sub-TLV may be included in any Tunnel
Encapsulation attribute where load balancing is desired.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC