Subject: RFC 9019 on A Firmware Update Architecture for Internet of Things

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 22:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9019

        Title:      A Firmware Update Architecture for 
                    Internet of Things 
        Author:     B. Moran,
                    H. Tschofenig,
                    D. Brown,
                    M. Meriac
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-suit-architecture-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9019

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9019

Vulnerabilities in Internet of Things (IoT) devices have raised the
need for a reliable and secure firmware update mechanism suitable for
devices with resource constraints. Incorporating such an update
mechanism is a fundamental requirement for fixing vulnerabilities,
but it also enables other important capabilities such as updating
configuration settings and adding new functionality.

In addition to the definition of terminology and an architecture,
this document provides the motivation for the standardization of a
manifest format as a transport-agnostic means for describing and
protecting firmware updates.

This document is a product of the Software Updates for Internet of Things Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC