Subject: Document Action: 'EVPN Operations, Administration and Maintenance Requirements and Framework' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:46:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EVPN Operations, Administration and Maintenance Requirements and
   Framework'
  (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled ServiceS Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, John Scudder and Martin Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the requirements and reference framework for
   Ethernet VPN (EVPN) Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM).
   The requirements cover the OAM aspects of EVPN and PBB-EVPN.  The
   framework defines the layered OAM model encompassing the EVPN service
   layer, network layer and underlying Packet Switched Network (PSN)
   transport layer.

Working Group Summary

EVPN is an becoming widely adopted as a technology for implementing layer 2 VPNS. 
OAM is required to aid in the maintenance of EVPN and to make it deployable
by service providers. There is strong consensus that this work is required by the BESS
working group, and this draft is required to set the context for determining the 
applicability of existing OAM protocols or making extensions or indeed defining new ones.
Theer was no particularly controversial aspects to the draft.

Document Quality

EVPN is widely implemented and deployed. This draft is an informational set of 
requirements and a framework to guide the development of OAM for EVPN and as such
does not require implementations in its own right, yet.

The draft received a number of comments during WG last call which were addressed.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Matthew Bocci ([email-masked])
Responsible Area Director: Martin Vigoureux ([email-masked])