Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-23.txt> (BGP Optimal Route Reflection (BGP-ORR)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 12:36:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'BGP Optimal Route Reflection (BGP-ORR)'
  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-23.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-07. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines an extension to BGP route reflectors.  On route
   reflectors, BGP route selection is modified in order to choose the
   best route from the standpoint of their clients, rather than from the
   standpoint of the route reflectors.  Depending on the scaling and
   precision requirements, route selection can be specific for one
   client, common for a set of clients or common for all clients of a
   route reflector.  This solution is particularly applicable in
   deployments using centralized route reflectors, where choosing the
   best route based on the route reflector's IGP location is suboptimal.
   This facilitates, for example, best exit point policy (hot potato
   routing).

   The solution relies upon all route reflectors learning all paths
   which are eligible for consideration.  BGP Route Selection is
   performed in the route reflectors based on the IGP cost from
   configured locations in the link state IGP.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3089/