Subject: SECOND Last Call: <draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar-32.txt> (JSCalendar: A JSON representation of calendar data) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:39:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Calendaring Extensions WG (calext)
to consider the following document: - 'JSCalendar: A JSON representation of
calendar data'
  <draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar-32.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-01. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

This second last call is specifically on the following diff:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc8984-ad2-diff.html

And on the following technical additions to the document:

* "features" in section 4.2.6
* "recurrenceIdTimeZone" in section 4.3.2
* "sentBy" in section 4.4.5. and 4.4.6
* "requestStatus" in 4.4.7
* as a consequence, updates to the IANA registries in 8.2.6 and 8.4.3.

The document was with the RFC Editor since November 2020. However, last minute implementation attempts found some edge cases of incompatibility between jscalendar and icalendar data models, which resulted in wg discussion and the changes above. The additions were discussed extensively at IETF 110 and confirmed during a following interim.

Abstract

   This specification defines a data model and JSON representation of
   calendar data that can be used for storage and data exchange in a
   calendaring and scheduling environment.  It aims to be an alternative
   and, over time, successor to the widely deployed iCalendar data
   format, and to be unambiguous, extendable, and simple to process.  In
   contrast to the jCal format, which is also JSON-based, JSCalendar is
   not a direct mapping from iCalendar, but defines the data model
   independently and expands semantics where appropriate.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.