Subject: RFC 9064 on Considerations in the Development of a QoS Architecture for CCNx-Like Information-Centric Networking Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 10:40:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9064

        Title:      Considerations in the Development of 
                    a QoS Architecture for CCNx-Like Information-Centric 
                    Networking Protocols 
        Author:     D. Oran
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       June 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9064

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9064

This is a position paper. It documents the author's personal views on
how Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities ought to be accommodated in
Information-Centric Networking (ICN) protocols like Content-Centric
Networking (CCNx) or Named Data Networking (NDN), which employ
flow-balanced Interest/Data exchanges and hop-by-hop forwarding state
as their fundamental machinery. It argues that such protocols demand
a substantially different approach to QoS from that taken in TCP/IP
and proposes specific design patterns to achieve both classification
and differentiated QoS treatment on both a flow and aggregate basis.
It also considers the effect of caches in addition to memory, CPU,
and link bandwidth as resources that should be subject to explicitly
unfair resource allocation. The proposed methods are intended to
operate purely at the network layer, providing the primitives needed
to achieve transport- and higher-layer QoS objectives. It explicitly
excludes any discussion of Quality of Experience (QoE), which can
only be assessed and controlled at the application layer or above. 

This document is not a product of the IRTF Information-Centric
Networking Research Group (ICNRG) but has been through formal Last
Call and has the support of the participants in the research group
for publication as an individual submission.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC