Subject: RFC 9057 on Email Author Header Field

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 23:03:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9057

        Title:      Email Author Header Field 
        Author:     D. Crocker
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       June 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-email-author-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9057

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9057

Internet mail defines the From: header field to indicate the author
of the message's content and the Sender: field to indicate who
initially handled the message on the author's behalf. The Sender:
field is optional if it has the same information as the From: field.
This was not a problem until development of stringent protections on
use of the From: field. It has prompted Mediators, such as mailing
lists, to modify the From: field to circumvent mail rejection caused
by those protections. In effect, the From: field has become dominated
by its role as a handling identifier.

The current specification augments the altered use of the From: field
by specifying the Author: field, which ensures identification of the
original author of the message and is not subject to modification by
Mediators. This document is published as an Experimental RFC to
assess community interest, functional efficacy, and technical
adequacy.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC