Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-grand-04.txt> (Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating Neighbor Cache Entries on First-Hop Routers) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 08:59:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document: - 'Gratuitous Neighbor Discovery: Creating
Neighbor Cache Entries on
   First-Hop Routers'
  <draft-ietf-6man-grand-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-18. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Neighbor Discovery (RFC4861) is used by IPv6 nodes to determine the
   link-layer addresses of neighboring nodes as well as to discover and
   maintain reachability information.  This document updates RFC4861 to
   allow routers to proactively create a Neighbor Cache entry when a new
   IPv6 address is assigned to a node.  It also updates RFC4861 and
   recommends nodes to send unsolicited Neighbor Advertisements upon
   assigning a new IPv6 address.  The proposed change will minimize the
   delay and packet loss when a node initiates connections to an off-
   link destination from a new IPv6 address.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-grand/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3902/