Subject: RFC 9015 on BGP Control Plane for the Network Service Header in Service Function Chaining

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:05:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9015

        Title:      BGP Control Plane for the 
                    Network Service Header in Service Function 
                    Chaining 
        Author:     A. Farrel,
                    J. Drake,
                    E. Rosen,
                    J. Uttaro,
                    L. Jalil
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      59
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9015

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9015

This document describes the use of BGP as a control plane for
networks that support service function chaining.  The document
introduces a new BGP address family called the "Service Function
Chain (SFC) Address Family Identifier / Subsequent Address Family
Identifier" (SFC AFI/SAFI) with two Route Types.  One Route Type is
originated by a node to advertise that it hosts a particular instance
of a specified service function.  This Route Type also provides
"instructions" on how to send a packet to the hosting node in a way
that indicates that the service function has to be applied to the
packet.  The other Route Type is used by a controller to advertise
the paths of "chains" of service functions and give a unique
designator to each such path so that they can be used in conjunction
with the Network Service Header (NSH) defined in RFC 8300.

This document adopts the service function chaining architecture
described in RFC 7665.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC