Subject: RFC 8824 on Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) for the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 23:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8824

        Title:      Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) 
                    for the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) 
        Author:     A. Minaburo,
                    L. Toutain,
                    R. Andreasen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lpwan-coap-static-context-hc-19.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8824

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8824

This document defines how to compress Constrained Application
Protocol (CoAP) headers using the Static Context Header Compression
and fragmentation (SCHC) framework. SCHC defines a header compression
mechanism adapted for Constrained Devices. SCHC uses a static
description of the header to reduce the header's redundancy and size.
While RFC 8724 describes the SCHC compression and fragmentation
framework, and its application for IPv6/UDP headers, this document
applies SCHC to CoAP headers. The CoAP header structure differs from
IPv6 and UDP, since CoAP uses a flexible header with a variable
number of options, themselves of variable length. The CoAP message
format is asymmetric: the request messages have a header format
different from the format in the response messages. This
specification gives guidance on applying SCHC to flexible headers and
how to leverage the asymmetry for more efficient compression Rules.

This document is a product of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC