Subject: RFC 9072 on Extended Optional Parameters Length for BGP OPEN Message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 16:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9072

        Title:      Extended Optional Parameters Length for 
                    BGP OPEN Message 
        Author:     E. Chen,
                    J. Scudder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Updates:    RFC 4271

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-ext-opt-param-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9072

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9072

The Optional Parameters in the BGP OPEN message as defined in the
base BGP specification are limited to 255 octets due to a one-octet
length field.  BGP capabilities are carried in this field and may
foreseeably exceed 255 octets in the future, leading to concerns
about this limitation. 

This document updates RFC 4271 by extending, in a backward-compatible
manner, the length of the Optional Parameters in a BGP OPEN message.
The Parameter Length field of individual Optional Parameters is also
extended.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC