Subject: RFC 9063 on Host Identity Protocol Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 12:46:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9063

        Title:      Host Identity Protocol Architecture 
        Author:     R. Moskowitz, Ed.,
                    M. Komu
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4423

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-20.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9063

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9063

This memo describes the Host Identity (HI) namespace, which provides
a cryptographic namespace to applications, and the associated
protocol layer, the Host Identity Protocol, located between the
internetworking and transport layers, that supports end-host
mobility, multihoming, and NAT traversal. Herein are presented the
basics of the current namespaces, their strengths and weaknesses, and
how a HI namespace will add completeness to them. The roles of the HI
namespace in the protocols are defined. 

This document obsoletes RFC 4423 and addresses the concerns raised by
the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility. The Security
Considerations section also describes measures against flooding
attacks, usage of identities in access control lists, weaker types of
identifiers, and trust on first use. This document incorporates
lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 7401 and goes further
to explain how HIP works as a secure signaling channel.

This document is a product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC