Subject: Call for volunteers or nominations for the IETF Delegate to the ICANN 2022 Nominating Committee

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:45:25 -0700

The IAB (on behalf of the IETF) has been asked to supply a member to the 
2022 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom). Peter Koch has filled this 
role for the IETF community for the past two years and cannot seek 
another term due to term limits; the IAB thanks him for his service. The 
IAB would therefore like to ask the community for volunteers to serve on 
the ICANN NomCom. The IAB will appoint one person for a one-year term 
(renewable for one additional one-year term).

If you are interested in serving on the ICANN NomCom, please send a 
short e-mail to [email-masked] and [email-masked] with your motivation 
and information concerning your familiarity with the IETF and ICANN. 
Alternatively, if you know of someone who may be a good fit for this 
position, please send the name and email address by e-mail to iab-
[email-masked] and [email-masked]. The IAB is looking for a diverse pool 
of candidates. The deadline for nominations or volunteers is 23:59 UTC 
on Monday, 2021-08-09.

After asking for community input on the candidates, the IAB will select 
from the available candidates. The IAB shall take into account 
candidates' familiarity with ICANN and the IETF (including their roles 
and processes), though the selected candidate will serve on the ICANN 
NomCom on personal title.

The ICANN NomCom process itself is governed by the ICANN bylaws; the 
relevant articles can be found at <https://www.icann.org/resources/
pages/governance/bylaws-en/#article8>.

In addition, each NomCom determines a number of its own operational 
procedures, including the role of the NomCom in recruiting and selecting 
candidates for ICANN leadership positions. Based on the experience of 
previous volunteers, the time commitment is significant. The selected 
person should be prepared to participate in the recruitment of potential 
candidates for ICANN leadership positions (a few hours per month 
November through April); a few hours on conference calls each month (and 
even more near selection); ten or more hours per month reviewing and 
assessing candidate qualifications in April, May, and June; and multiple 
days of face-to-face meetings of the full NomCom at each of the three 
ICANN meetings.

The ICANN NomCom typically meets at or around three consecutive ICANN 
meetings in various locations throughout the world. In 2021, due to 
COVID-19, NomCom has only conducted online meetings, and this may 
continue in 2022 unless and until it is safe to travel. 

NOTE: ICANN covers travel and hotel costs for a pre-determined number of 
days at each of the 3 consecutive ICANN meetings under prevailing ICANN 
policies. For more details, please see the IAB Statement on Liaison 
Compensation <https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-
documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-liaison-compensation/>.

Candidates should be able to join monthly teleconferences, with the 
expectation that these teleconferences will be held weekly during the 
candidate assessment process in May and June.

The 2022 NomCom will be selecting people to fill the following 
positions:

 • Three members of the ICANN Board of Directors
 • One member of the PTI Board of Directors
 • Two regional representatives to the At-Large Advisory Committee 
   (ALAC) – one from the European region and one from the North 
   American region
 • One member of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) 
   Council
 • One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) 
   Council

For more information about the ICANN NomCom see: 
https://nomcom.icann.org/