Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-16.txt> (ALTO Performance Cost Metrics) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:58:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document: - 'ALTO
Performance Cost Metrics'
  <draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-16.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-08-02. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and different applications may use different
   cost metrics.  Since the ALTO base protocol (RFC 7285) defines only a
   single cost metric (i.e., the generic "routingcost" metric), if an
   application wants to issue a cost map or an endpoint cost request to
   determine the resource provider that offers better delay performance,
   the base protocol does not define the cost metric to be used.

   This document addresses the issue by introducing network performance
   metrics, including network delay, jitter, packet loss rate, hop
   count, and bandwidth.

   There are multiple sources (e.g., estimation based on measurements or
   service-level agreement) to derive a performance metric.  This
   document introduces an additional "cost-context" field to the ALTO
   "cost-type" field to convey the source of a performance metric.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.