Subject: Document Action: 'A Manifest Information Model for Firmware Updates in IoT Devices' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-suit-information-model-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:57:35 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Manifest Information Model for Firmware Updates in IoT Devices'
  (draft-ietf-suit-information-model-13.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Software Updates for Internet of Things
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-suit-information-model/

Technical Summary

   Vulnerabilities with Internet of Things (IoT) devices have raised the
   need for a reliable and secure firmware update mechanism that is also
   suitable for constrained devices.  Ensuring that devices function and
   remain secure over their service life requires such an update
   mechanism to fix vulnerabilities, to update configuration settings,
   as well as adding new functionality.

   One component of such a firmware update is a concise and machine-
   processable meta-data document, or manifest, that describes the
   firmware image(s) and offers appropriate protection.  This document
   describes the information that must be present in the manifest.

Working Group Summary

        Nothing worth noting. Consensus was straightforward, and
        a large number of participants provided feedback on earlier
        versions, as noted in the Acknowledgements section.

Document Quality

        This document is a set of threats and requirements and as such
        is not implemented directly.  There are implementations of
        draft-ietf-suit-manifest which is one specification that
        meets the requirements in this document.

        This document has gone through many reviews with incremental
        changes over time.  Section 6 (acknowledgments) contains a long
        list of those who have reviewed this document over time.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Dave Thaler

The Responsible Area Director is Roman Danyliw