Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-15.txt> (ALTO Extension: Path Vector) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 08:53:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document: - 'ALTO Extension:
Path Vector'
  <draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-08-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document is an extension to the base Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO) protocol.  It extends the ALTO Cost Map service
   and ALTO Property Map service so that the application can decide
   which endpoint(s) to connect based on not only numerical/ordinal cost
   values but also details of the paths.  This is useful for
   applications whose performance is impacted by specified components of
   a network on the end-to-end paths, e.g., they may infer that several
   paths share common links and prevent traffic bottlenecks by avoiding
   such paths.  This extension introduces a new abstraction called
   Abstract Network Element (ANE) to represent these components and
   encodes a network path as a vector of ANEs.  Thus, it provides a more
   complete but still abstract graph representation of the underlying
   network(s) for informed traffic optimization among endpoints.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.