Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lwig-minimal-esp-06.txt> (Minimal ESP) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:50:47 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Light-Weight Implementation Guidance
WG (lwig) to consider the following document: - 'Minimal ESP'
  <draft-ietf-lwig-minimal-esp-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-08-26. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a minimal implementation of the IP
   Encapsulation Security Payload (ESP) defined in RFC 4303.  Its
   purpose is to enable implementation of ESP with a minimal set of
   options to remain compatible with ESP as described in RFC 4303.  A
   minimal version of ESP is not intended to become a replacement of the
   RFC 4303 ESP.  Instead, a minimal implementation is expected to be
   optimized for constrained environment while remaining interoperable
   with implementations of RFC 4303 ESP.  Some constraints include
   limiting the number of flash writes, handling frequent wakeup / sleep
   states, limiting wakeup time, or reducing the use of random
   generation.

   This document does not update or modify RFC 4303, but provides a
   compact description of how to implement the minimal version of the
   protocol.  RFC 4303 remains the authoritative description.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-minimal-esp/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.