Subject: RFC 9117 on Revised Validation Procedure for BGP Flow Specifications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:51:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9117

        Title:      Revised Validation Procedure for 
                    BGP Flow Specifications
        Author:     J. Uttaro,
                    J. Alcaide,
                    C. Filsfils,
                    D. Smith,
                    P. Mohapatra
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Updates:    RFC 8955

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp-flowspec-oid-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9117

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9117

This document describes a modification to the validation procedure
defined for the dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications.  The
dissemination of BGP Flow Specifications as specified in RFC 8955
requires that the originator of the Flow Specification match the
originator of the best-match unicast route for the destination prefix
embedded in the Flow Specification. For an Internal Border Gateway
Protocol (iBGP) received route, the originator is typically a border
router within the same autonomous system (AS).  The objective is to
allow only BGP speakers within the data forwarding path to originate
BGP Flow Specifications.  Sometimes it is desirable to originate the
BGP Flow Specification from any place within the autonomous system
itself, for example, from a centralized BGP route controller. 
However, the validation procedure described in RFC 8955 will fail in
this scenario.  The modification proposed herein relaxes the
validation rule to enable Flow Specifications to be originated within
the same autonomous system as the BGP speaker performing the
validation.  Additionally, this document revises the AS_PATH
validation rules so Flow Specifications received from an External
Border Gateway Protocol (eBGP) peer can be validated when such a peer
is a BGP route server.  

This document updates the validation procedure in RFC 8955.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC