Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-07.txt> (Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS (DNS SVCB and HTTPS RRs)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 09:42:26 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Service binding and parameter
specification via the DNS (DNS SVCB and
   HTTPS RRs)'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-08-19. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies the "SVCB" and "HTTPS" DNS resource record
   (RR) types to facilitate the lookup of information needed to make
   connections to network services, such as for HTTPS origins.  SVCB
   records allow a service to be provided from multiple alternative
   endpoints, each with associated parameters (such as transport
   protocol configuration and keys for encrypting the TLS ClientHello).
   They also enable aliasing of apex domains, which is not possible with
   CNAME.  The HTTPS RR is a variation of SVCB for HTTPS and HTTP
   origins.  By providing more information to the client before it
   attempts to establish a connection, these records offer potential
   benefits to both performance and privacy.

   TO BE REMOVED: This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc
   (https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc).  The most recent working
   version of the document, open issues, etc. should all be available
   there.  The authors (gratefully) accept pull requests.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc7871: Client Subnet in DNS Queries (Informational - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF))
    draft-ietf-tls-esni: TLS Encrypted Client Hello (None - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF))