Subject: RFC 9115 on An Automatic Certificate Management Environment (ACME) Profile for Generating Delegated Certificates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9115

        Title:      An Automatic Certificate Management Environment 
                    (ACME) Profile for Generating Delegated Certificates 
        Author:     Y. Sheffer,
                    D. López,
                    A. Pastor Perales,
                    T. Fossati
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-acme-star-delegation-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9115

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9115

This document defines a profile of the Automatic Certificate
Management Environment (ACME) protocol by which the holder of an
identifier (e.g., a domain name) can allow a third party to obtain an
X.509 certificate such that the certificate subject is the delegated
identifier while the certified public key corresponds to a private
key controlled by the third party. A primary use case is that of a
Content Delivery Network (CDN), the third party, terminating TLS
sessions on behalf of a content provider (the holder of a domain
name).  The presented mechanism allows the holder of the identifier
to retain control over the delegation and revoke it at any time. 
Importantly, this mechanism does not require any modification to the
deployed TLS clients and servers.

This document is a product of the Automated Certificate Management Environment Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC