Subject: IESG experiment to conduct 360-degree reviews for ADs

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:01:33 +0300

Hi,

the IESG has started an experiment to conduct 360-degree reviews [1] of current
Area Directors, to give them direct feedback allowing them to develop their
method of working and behaviors. The feedback is entirely anonymous and we are
not collecting tracking information. These types of IETF participants have been
asked to provide feedback on the ADs they interacted with:

* IAB, LLC, secretariat and IESG members will receive a survey for each AD

* Each working group chair will receive a survey for their responsible ADs

* Shepherds of drafts that went to the ballot in the past 12 months will receive
  a survey for the responsible AD, if still active

* Shepherds of drafts that spent any time in the AD Evaluation state in the past
  12 months will receive a survey for the responsible AD, if still active

The IETF Secretariat will collect the responses and aggregate them as follows:
Individual survey responses will be kept anonymous. Each Area Director will
receive a summary of all responses to their survey, and the IESG as a whole will
receive a rollup of the results of all surveys. The IESG will publicly release
the aggregate result for the entire IESG.

If this experiment provides useful input to current Area Directors, the IESG may
decide to continue 360-degree reviews in future years, possibly extend the
survey to reach more of the community, or take other actions. A successful
experiment may also lead to discussions on whether similar activities for IAB
members, Working Group chairs or other roles may be useful to undertake.

If you have been emailed feedback forms, the IESG would appreciate your input
by Monday 25 October 2021.

Lars Eggert
IETF Chair (on behalf of the IESG)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/360-degree_feedback