Subject: Protocol Action: 'Operational Aspects of Proxy-ARP/ND in Ethernet Virtual Private Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 09:34:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operational Aspects of Proxy-ARP/ND in Ethernet Virtual Private
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the BGP Enabled ServiceS Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, John Scudder and Martin Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the EVPN Proxy-ARP/ND function, augmented by
   the capability of the ARP/ND Extended Community.  Together, these
   help operators of Internet Exchange Points (IXPs), Data Centers
   (DCs), and other networks deal with IPv4 and IPv6 address resolution
   issues associated with large Broadcast Domains (DBs) by reducing and
   even suppressing the flooding produced by address resolution in the
   EVPN network.

Working Group Summary

   The document was developed to address the desire to minimise flooding of traffic 
   associated with address resolution in EVPN. It is particularly important due to the
   large size that EVPN networks can grow to, particularly in terms of the numbers of CEs 
   and hosts. It makes recommendations for implementations of Proxy-ARP/ND to help 
   operators deal with the issues derived from Address Resolution in large broadcast 
   domains.

   There are no IPR declarations on the draft . 

Document Quality

   There is no concern about the quality of the document. It represents 
   WG consensus, and it has been widely reviewed and discussed on the list over a 
   number of years. The document was also reviewed by the various directorates and comments 
   addressed
   
   The document does not specify any MIB changes or additions which would need 
   review.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Matthew Bocci ([email-masked]).
   The responsible Area Director is Martin Vigoureux ([email-masked]).