Subject: Document Action: 'New ASN.1 Modules for the Evidence Record Syntax (ERS)' to Informational RFC (draft-housley-ers-asn1-modules-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 13:27:32 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'New ASN.1 Modules for the Evidence Record Syntax (ERS)'
  (draft-housley-ers-asn1-modules-03.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-ers-asn1-modules/

Technical Summary

   The Evidence Record Syntax (ERS) and the conventions for including
   these evidence record in the Server-based Certificate Validation
   Protocol (SCVP) are expressed using ASN.1.  This document offers
   alternate ASN.1 modules that conform to the 2002 version of ASN.1 and
   employ the conventions adopted in RFC 5911, RFC 5912, and RFC 6268.
   There are no bits-on-the-wire changes to any of the formats; this is
   simply a change to the ASN.1 syntax.

Working Group Summary

This is an AD sponsored document.  

It was presented and dispatched with a recommendation for AD sponsorship at the IETF 110 SecDispatch (https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/110/materials/agenda-110-secdispatch-01.html).  The WG felt that this additional ASN.1 module would be useful to implementers.  The work did not have an existing home since the ERS specifications were done in the now closed (since 2011) LTANS WG (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/ltans/).

Document Quality

There are implementations of ERS.

The document went out for comment on the saag@ietf list prior to IETC LC.  Notably, it was reviewed by a former LTANS WG chair (Tobias) and AD (Sean).

The sponsoring AD (Roman) confirmed that the ASN.1 modules compile.

Personnel

Roman Danyliw is the responsible AD.